HOLLAND AMERICA'S PLATNUM INSURANCE PLAN...............................

Chuck

Hello to ALL;  Has anyone out there ever actually filed a claim on Holland America's Platnum Insurance Program???   And if so how was your "experience" with the company and the results???   We have booked a Canadian Cruise in SEPT. of 2019 and would love to hear from any Insurance Experts out there that can tell us just how good this policy really is.  I have learned over the decades ( Iam age 68, wife 67) that its the "FINE PRINT" that sometimes bites you on the ______  not the big bold print.  THANK YOU.   Chuck.........

We just applied the Platinum plan to the three staterooms we just booked for next summer. The cost above the Standard plan isn't that much more and there is quite a difference between them. That said, I've never had to collect and I tend to feel that most insurance has enough wiggle room that collecting could be an issue. DW likes the peace of mind so we usually purchase. I suspect that if I added up all of the travel insurance that I've purchased over the years I could finance another trip. :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

We just applied the Platinum plan to the three staterooms we just booked for next summer. The cost above the Standard plan isn't that much more and there is quite a difference between them. That said, I've never had to collect and I tend to feel that most insurance has enough wiggle room that collecting could be an issue. DW likes the peace of mind so we usually purchase. I suspect that if I added up all of the travel insurance that I've purchased over the years I could finance another trip. :classic_smile:

Hi Grsnovi;  I think that if you read thru even the Platnum Plan from Holland America there will be some things that make you stop and think and maybe even ponder as to the possibilities.  Medicare and Medicare Supplements (atleast my supplement from BC-BS) have NO COVERAGE.  So obviously I want to buy something really good. 

Hi Chuck - I'm still a baby (64) and still have employer coverage so I'm not yet worrying about Medicare. Some of what they claim seems to be (much) better than their Standard coverage but if might be inclined to look at other travel insurance once I transition to Medicare. Initially we only looked at the cancellation aspects. This time we're taking the kids/grandkids out (next summer) and I was wondering: what if one of the grandkids had to go to hospital - how would the rest of the party feel about continuing the cruise and what would actually be covered. It does state that immediate family situations are covered for interruptions but without having spoken to somebody who has actually had a similar situation you just never know.

we  cancelled our  2018 spring  cruise 2 days before sailing and there was absolutely no problem. We received 90% of our total cost which included the cost for the insurance, our air fare,  ( booked through HAL) and of course our cruise cost.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Hello to ALL;  Has anyone out there ever actually filed a claim on Holland America's Platnum Insurance Program???   And if so how was your "experience" with the company and the results???   We have booked a Canadian Cruise in SEPT. of 2019 and would love to hear from any Insurance Experts out there that can tell us just how good this policy really is.  I have learned over the decades ( Iam age 68, wife 67) that its the "FINE PRINT" that sometimes bites you on the ______  not the big bold print.  THANK YOU.   Chuck.........

The platinum insurance has limited coverage for medical and evacuation.  I believe it's $10,000 med. and $50,000 evacuation.  Having said that I'm assuming that many of the ports on this trip are in the United States where your medicare coverage would apply.  If something should happen in Canada I would think that the $50K evacuation would be enough to get you home.  We usually use the ships insurance if going to the Caribbean since we only have to get back to Florida.  On our cruises to places that are far (think Asia) we take out an additional policy that specifically covers medical and evacuation at much higher amounts.  Check out an annual policy which primarily covers those two items.  It's really not too expensive and will provide you with a lot more coverage.

Helen

• Like 1

Yes -- we have used the cancellation -- Platinum on 2 cruises.  One time because I fell just 3 days before our cruise and fractured by wrist.  The second time because we had a major snow storm that shut down many airports for 4 1/2 days (so much for planning on arriving early).

We got our 90% refunded very quickly to my credit card.  All pre-purchased items were promptly cancelled automatically and also refunded very quickly.

We always buy refundable airline tickets.  All hotels were quickly cancelled.

Knowing that Medicare and our regular medical plan do not cover us when we are out of the country, we do buy separate health insurance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Yes -- we have used the cancellation -- Platinum on 2 cruises.  One time because I fell just 3 days before our cruise and fractured by wrist.  The second time because we had a major snow storm that shut down many airports for 4 1/2 days (so much for planning on arriving early).

We got our 90% refunded very quickly to my credit card.  All pre-purchased items were promptly cancelled automatically and also refunded very quickly.

We always buy refundable airline tickets.  All hotels were quickly cancelled.

Knowing that Medicare and our regular medical plan do not cover us when we are out of the country, we do buy separate health insurance.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH KRAZY KRUIZERS;   Now thats what I call a very good answer.  If you were going on this cruise I would say "Look forward to meeting you".  

I have had the same experience as KK has had. However, I would classify both of HAL's plans as more of a cancel for any reason plan prior to your cruise.  We had to cancel prior to cruises twice and received the 90% quickly. No questions asked. I had to cancel once during a cruise and received 90% of the remaining cruise costs quickly.

I do not know how it would be for recouping health and evacuation costs as the coverage of those things is low. That is why I too buy additional coverage for medical and evacuation reasons.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I have had the same experience as KK has had. However, I would classify both of HAL's plans as more of a cancel for any reason plan prior to your cruise.  We had to cancel prior to cruises twice and received the 90% quickly. No questions asked. I had to cancel once during a cruise and received 90% of the remaining cruise costs quickly.

I do not know how it would be for recouping health and evacuation costs as the coverage of those things is low. That is why I too buy additional coverage for medical and evacuation reasons.

Yes, my bigger concern is half way thru the trip getting horribly sic (food poisoning or ???) and being taken to a Canadian Hospital.  You only have $10,000 coverage with the Platnum Plan and thats the best plan that Holland America even sells.  Its just NOT ENOUGH if you end up in a Canadian Hospital as I have already called MEDICARE AND MY BC-BS SUPPLEMENT AND THERE IS "NO COVERAGE" WHATSOEVER IN CANADA.  So therein lies the problem.

• Like 1

I have used the Platinum Plan to cancel a cruise a week before sailing due to breaking my hip.   As others have said, I had my refund within a couple of days with just one phone call to HAL.  

We used the Platinum plan for a medical claim on one cruise.   My sister had to submit to her insurance, be denied and then submit to the plan insurance.   She received a full reimbursement in a very timely manner once her insurance company denied her.  

A friend experienced a hospitalization in Canada a few years back.  Keep in mind that health care expenses are much less in Canada, even when uninsured there.   Unless it is impossible to move you, the $10,000 and the the $50,000 for evacuation should be plenty to get you to a US hospital where your Medicare will cover you.  

• Thanks 1

As I recall, the evac to the States is only valid if there is no local facility capable of dealing with the situation. I view these plans as primarily targeted at cancellation prior to the cruise OR as being able to get something back in the event that the cruise is interrupted. If I was really worried about medical I think I'd rely on what I currently was carrying or I'd look at supplemental coverage.

I, personally, would not purchase any cruise line's insurance.  Almost all have some kind of 'gotcha' clause in them.  To me, even the 90% reimbursement on HAL is a 'gotcha'.  I've been purchasing a great policy from Alianz for years and have used it twice with 100% coverage - and satisfaction to say the least!

• Thanks 1

There are some Medicare supplemental plans that cover foreign travel. If your plan does not, there are numerous agencies that would be happy to sell you a plan. I have not ever purchased one. But from my research, plans to cover a week or two trip into Canada can be pretty reasonable. Try searching on "health insurance while traveling in Canada" or something similar. Also search squaremouth. 

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Yes, my bigger concern is half way thru the trip getting horribly sic (food poisoning or ???) and being taken to a Canadian Hospital.  You only have $10,000 coverage with the Platnum Plan and thats the best plan that Holland America even sells.  Its just NOT ENOUGH if you end up in a Canadian Hospital as I have already called MEDICARE AND MY BC-BS SUPPLEMENT AND THERE IS "NO COVERAGE" WHATSOEVER IN CANADA.  So therein lies the problem.

You can purchase travel insurance and limit coverage to medical/evacuation only, if that's all you want. You do not have to cover lost luggage, trip delay, or anything else covered in a comprehensive policy.

I always call and speak to a representative at Insure My Trip, and discuss what I think I want. The rep asks pertinent questions that make me consider all the implications, and then selects a policy based on what I decide I want.
It's a reasonable amount.

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

That said, $10,000 is likely worth 10X as much in Canada vs in the US.  Our local hospital billed a US insurance company $5000.  The Insurance assumed a misplaced decimal point and sent 50K instead.  The hospital refunded the difference.  This is true, but sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, puli said:

we  cancelled our  2018 spring  cruise 2 days before sailing and there was absolutely no problem. We received 90% of our total cost which included the cost for the insurance...

Are you sure? If so, it's the first time I've ever heard of insurance covering 90% of the cost of the insurance premium.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Liz54 said:

That said, $10,000 is likely worth 10X as much in Canada vs in the US.  Our local hospital billed a US insurance company $5000.  The Insurance assumed a misplaced decimal point and sent 50K instead.  The hospital refunded the difference.  This is true, but sad.

WOW, now that is a HEAD SCRATCHER.   THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE GREAT INFO.  I DIDN'T REALIZE WE ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF SO BADLY FOR MEDICAL CARE  HERE IN THE GOOD OLE USA.

15 minutes ago, Bill B said:

Are you sure? If so, it's the first time I've ever heard of insurance covering 90% of the cost of the insurance premium.

I questioned it but they returned 90% of our entire payment which included the cruise fare, the  plane fare , AND the cost for platinum coverage,,,,,but technically I don;t think for my state Oregon, this was considered "insurance"   I was pleasantly surprised and was all ready for the "insurance" cost to be taken out of the equation.

I believe my parents bought this plan for a Panama Canal cruise they took several years back (they always bought the trip insurance). My dad had a massive heart attack on the ship. The doctor took fantastic care of him. He was taken off the ship in San Diego (the cruise was to end in Seattle) and taken to the Naval Hospital there. They got a refund from HAL for the unused cruise days, and mom said they didn’t pay anything for any of the medical on the ship. To this day we believe being on the ship saved his life, because he got immediate medical attention. They lived so far out of town at the time that he would have died if they had been home.

• Thanks 1

The HAL plan is good if either A) you are worried that you might have to cancel for a non-medical reason, or B) you are at the age where the coverage from an independent company is cost prohibitive (or maybe not even available).  In other instances you can get far better coverage for less money elsewhere.  An example - on my upcoming cruise I was considering getting the HAL plan (standard one) at a cost of $1549 for the cancellation benefits and then getting a geoblue medical plan for $532.  My TA suggested Travelex where I was able to get 100% cancellation refund (for medical reasons),  $100,000 in medical, $500,000 evacuation and repatriation, as well as a few other things (lost baggage, missed connections, etc.) for $1650.  This was primary insurance so no having to put in a claim and after being denied, refiling with the insurance company.  

We do not buy csncel for any reason insurance.

we do buy medical and evac insurance.  We would never buy this from HAL.  Their coverage limitation is a joke.  

We never buy insurance from any travel provider or from any TA, bank, or auto club.  We buy it from the insurance carrier.  A good piece of advice that a very experienced TA gave us some time  ago.  Less cost, far better coverage.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

Hello to ALL;  Has anyone out there ever actually filed a claim on Holland America's Platnum Insurance Program???   And if so how was your "experience" with the company and the results??? 

Yes, we once cancelled a week before a cruise and received a prompt refund to our credit card. We did not have to make any payments to that card for about a year because of the large credit balance, even by charging a lot of things we would not ordinarily pay by credit card!

22 hours ago, puli said:

We received 90% of our total cost which included the cost for the insurance

Not in our case, and I think not in most cases.  I think it must have been, as you said later in post #21, because of your state laws.  HAL's FAQ's states:

Will I need to file a claim if I have to cancel?

No. If you cancel 24 hours before departure with the Standard Plan or prior to departure with the Platinum Plan, you do not need to file a claim. Holland America Line will reimburse 80% - 90% of the eligible amounts paid (minus the plan cost). Written cancellation notice should be sent ...

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1