Magic or Horizon

cindik

Both have Southern Caribbean itinerary. The Magic sails from FLL, the Horizon from Miami. Magic ports are HMC, Grand Turk, Curaco, and Aruba. The Horizon sails to Grand Turk, La Romania, Curaco. and Aruba. Looking at Dec. 2019. Please help me decide! The prices are similar.

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If no kids are involved, I would choose the Horizon and stay in the Havana area in an inside cabin.  Best money spent and worth every penny.

I like this idea, too.  The itineraries are similar enough to not be a determining factor, in my mind.  I'd take the newer ship and do a Havana cabin if possible.

For that itinerary I would go Magic. Actually, I am next year. If it was an itinerary I didn't care about, I'd go Horizon and stay on the ship. Did that this year. But personally I preferred Magic over Horizon. Just too crowded for my tastes and Havana wasn't the savior I hoped it would be. I mean it was nice, but I prefer the vibe of Serenity and the furniture in Serenity. And Serenity on a sea day is too crowded.

Phillyfan said it better than me in another thread:

Horizon isn’t much bigger than Magic, but I agree it has features like smaller show lounges, no glass elevators, smaller atrium, no thalassotherapy pool, etc. My wife and I enjoy going to shows, comedy, etc., and the lounges on Vista class ships are too small, poor sight lines, etc. But if these don’t appeal to you, that eliminates a big negative associated with Vista class ships.

Edited by five.

I love both ships. I think it depends what matters to you more. Technically, the Horizon has “more.” Jiji’s Asian, Bonsai Teppenyaki, Guy’s Pig and Achor, the skybikes, an IMAX theater, etc. But as far as itineraries are concerned, HMC is the better port over La Romania. So your decision should be based on that. Which is more important: a slightly better ship or a slightly better itinerary?

I did this itinerary on the Vista, that the Horizon is doing and loved it. The thing I didn't love was the ship, much prefer the Dream class ships over the new ones, they are so broken up and miss the large promenades on the older ones. They each have their good and bad points, so I guess that would be your choice but both itineraries are great. Also love sailing and staying in Miami the night before and going to Bayside.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just booked the Magic for December 2019 over Christmas.  Needed 6 rooms so we are on Deck 9 which is under the Lido.  Not my favorite location but better then deck 1.  Anybody been u der the Lido on a Dream Class ship?  Looking for info on noise?

57 minutes ago, Cruisebird said:

Just booked the Magic for December 2019 over Christmas.  Needed 6 rooms so we are on Deck 9 which is under the Lido.  Not my favorite location but better then deck 1.  Anybody been u der the Lido on a Dream Class ship?  Looking for info on noise?

We ended up booking the Magic instead of Horizon. Mainly because I wanted to go to HMC. Cruisebird, we are also sailing in December 2019 and also on deck 9. Maybe see you there!

Ours actually doesn't go to HMC.  We are on the 12/21 cruise.  We have the other itinerary which we wanted.  LaRomana has a gem called Saona Island which we love and are excited to go to again.  This time with a herd of grandchildren!  

2 hours ago, Cruisebird said:

We loved deck 1 on both the Magic and the Horizon... no noise, and no seasickness 

2 hours ago, Cruisebird said:

Can’t answer your questions, but we will be on the same cruise next Christmas. 

2 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I would pick the Magic.  I'm not a fan of the mega ships.  Being stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with 5,000+ people doesn't appeal to me.

Lol. Magic and Horizon are nearly identical in size and capacity. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, Cruisebird said:

Ours actually doesn't go to HMC.  We are on the 12/21 cruise.  We have the other itinerary which we wanted.  LaRomana has a gem called Saona Island which we love and are excited to go to again.  This time with a herd of grandchildren!  

We are on this sailing too!  We booked right before Christmas.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Magic is still 600+ people less.  Less is less. 

While numbers do not lie, we never felt more crowded on a Vista class then a Dream class ship.  600 can be 2 if they do not impact your cruise.  

22 hours ago, JaniceB said:

My PVP tried to get me to sail Magic over Horizon with the grandkids.  We chose a different ship but sailing from FLL is so much easier for me since Southwest doesn't fly to Miami.  

It's a 30 minute difference... I'm not sure I'd personally qualify that as "so much easier".