Dyson AirWrap does NOT work onboard

Hello fellow cruisers.  I was so excited to bring/use my Dyson Airwrap on my cruise last week on the Adventure of the Seas.  It is a hair dryer, hair curler all in one and I absolutely adore it.  Imagine my dismay on formal night when I went to do my hair and it wouldn't turn on. 😮  Works fine at home but I'm guessing it requires more power than what is coming into the cabin.  Just want to pass the word so no one else has to go with flat hair on formal night!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

True about the outlets. You need to plug it in by the vanity/desk. This is where you would plug in the one they supply. I believe the one in the bathroom is more for shavers.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

A couple of years ago, there was a thread about the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer not working onboard either.  I suspect that something in the digital motor circuitry requires the neutral and ground to be at the same voltage, which they are not onboard a ship.  I haven't researched it myself, I don't have enough hair to need one of these.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I've often heard the bathroom outlets supply less power than the other room outlets.  Seems odd since a hair dryer is probably the most power hungry device people bring!

While  your home is required to have GFCI outlets in the bathroom to prevent shock hazards in areas where water is present, the ships use a low wattage (about 40w) outlet to achieve the same result.  This outlet has a fuse that limits the power available from the outlet.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:39 PM, chengkp75 said:

While  your home is required to have GFCI outlets in the bathroom to prevent shock hazards in areas where water is present, the ships use a low wattage (about 40w) outlet to achieve the same result.  This outlet has a fuse that limits the power available from the outlet.

Shaver outlets do NOT provide anywhere near the same protection as a GFCI.

They were common when GFCIs were very expensive.

Yes, we have discussed the situation with omboard electrical systems, and I understand why they are used, just saying they are nowhere near the same protection as a GFCI.

Most shaver outlets are current limited to 200 mA.  Well into the range of injury.

• 10 months later...

I just came off of Enchantment, and I'm very happy to report that my Airwrap worked wonderfully onboard. It's an older, smaller ship (built in the mid 90's, I believe), so not sure if anything has changed since it and the Adventure being built. I sure hope it works on future cruises also. I LOVE it! 

Perhaps unrelated, but possibly worth noting....When I got mine, it worked fine at my BF's house, but then we I brought it home and plugged it into the extension cord that I had rigged up in my bathroom, it would work a bit and then not turn on again. So I did some research (where I found this post actually). Apparently it needs at least 1300 watts of *steady* power, or it trips something in the motor which tells it to "cool off" (ie shut down for a while). So you can't use it with a regular household extension cord...needs to be a heavy duty one. Dyson recommends not using it with an extension cord at all actually, but it's absolutely necessary in my bathroom, unfortunately. So my point in mentioning this in a cruise forum is that perhaps some of the wiring on the ships is not supplying a steady enough voltage. You can buy voltage regulators, but they're expensive and I question whether or not the ship would confiscate them. 

Side note, speaking of ships confiscating things, Enchantment confiscated an entire suitcase that contained a travel blow dryer, a Hot Tools One Step Styler (both which I took in case my Airwrap wouldn't work), and a selfie light ring. They'd labeled it "extension cord," but we don't know which of those three things they thought was an extension cord. (None of them look like an extension cord.) They gave it all back to my BF when he went down to inquire about it when he opened it and showed them it didn't contain an extension cord. But my point is, if you take a One Step Styler (a blow dryer/brush combination) or maybe a selfie light ring (which worked wonderfully for doing hair and makeup at the desk BTW), it might get taken at first. But the Airwrap didn't. :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, swimming with spaniels said:

it wouldn't work for me on the Queen Victoria in the stateroom - but was fine when guest services tested it for me. hoping it works on MSC Virtuosa

You resurrected this thread, for that?  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

It worked one night on the Wonder. I was crushed because I didn’t bring any other hair appliance. I trusted they would have a good hair dryer and was disappointed. I’m hoping my $500 appliance will work back home, but never again will I trust it on a cruise ship. 

Dyson's draw a lot of power.  My hairdresser used to have a Dyson hair dryer at work but it kept tripping the circuit and the salon is in a building that is less than 10 years old.   I just use my Sharper Image travel hair dryer that I've had for years.

from Dyson they are not dual voltage

Your styler has been precisely engineered for styling at the voltage of the country in which it was purchased. This allows it to run at optimum performance. As voltage varies from country to country, please follow the guidance on usage in the warranty section of your user manual.

I love it.  Again, 11 months later this thread gets resurrected.  I'm going to buy one of these things just so 11 months from now I can say "Hey, guess what?  My overpriced hair drier won't work and it ruined my cruise.  Well that and the fact that there were no pepper grinders in the MDR."  Soon this thread will be able to get the Covid vaccine.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I love it.  Again, 11 months later this thread gets resurrected.  I'm going to buy one of these things just so 11 months from now I can say "Hey, guess what?  My overpriced hair drier won't work and it ruined my cruise.  Well that and the fact that there were no pepper grinders in the MDR."  Soon this thread will be able to get the Covid vaccine.

Probably need to resurrected because it sounds like someone is going to start a fire at some point.  

in addition, I sure hope no one tries using an extension cord while using one of these on a ship.  The hazard seems high enough already.  

1 hour ago, John Reid said:

Funny. My Dyson Ball Multi Floor 2 Upright Vacuum works perfectly when I want to tidy up the cabin.

Weird, because I couldn't get my vacuum cleaner to work at all. She just kept wanting to go to the pool or bar or just sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7