AMEX Offer...It's Back!

AryMay

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Did you remember to use different logins for each card?

Yes...I did use different logins. I even switched browsers and tried it on my ipad but same results each time. 

Our next cruise is still a very long time away so with any luck the offer will show up again before we have to make final payment.

10 minutes ago, AryMay said:

Yes...I did use different logins. I even switched browsers and tried it on my ipad but same results each time. 

Our next cruise is still a very long time away so with any luck the offer will show up again before we have to make final payment.

Ahh.  So they must have been reading these threads and shut the back door.  I wondered when it would happen.  Sometimes people say too much online without thinking.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Call your TA or PCC and ask them to purchase OBC through their reservation system.  The charge will show up as Holland America Res on your Amex and it will trigger the offer.  If you buy it any other way it will post as Holland America Web and you won’t get it.

18 minutes ago, ss70chev said:

Can you use this offer when sailing? My cruise is paid for and I am cruising in 2 weeks. 

No. It needs to post as “Holland America Res”.  See my post above.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Call your TA or PCC and ask them to purchase OBC through their reservation system.  The charge will show up as Holland America Res on your Amex and it will trigger the offer.  If you buy it any other way it will post as Holland America Web and you won’t get it.

I will work on this tomorrow and let you all know what I find out.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Ahh.  So they must have been reading these threads and shut the back door.  I wondered when it would happen.  Sometimes people say too much online without thinking.

Amx changed the game a few months back.  It eliminated the ability to add these offers to multiple cards.  Worse, it even clawed back some offers that folks added to multiple cards.  

19 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

All though we have AMX credit cards ,we prefer to book using our  Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card ;because we then get Free trip cancellation & free trip interruption insurance + baggage insurance  .We save really big with not having to buy the insurance  . Chase covers us up to a $10000 .00 each trip cost . all we then buy is a supplemental medical & medical evacuation policy at $91  . We are  79 & 80  ,so trip insurance is rather costly with out the Chase  trip insurance benefit .We now can cruise more often :classic_biggrin:

If ANY part is covered by your Reserve, the trip is covered.  You can still take advantage of the AMEX offer if you want. 

(But an important note of the card’s insurance:  they will NOT pay if it is a pre-existing condition and they don’t have a look back period. If you have ever been treated for something that causes a travel change, it is excluded )

Edited by alwaysfrantic

On 11/20/2018 at 8:56 PM, *Miss G* said:

Of note this current offer does NOT specify that bookings can be done through travel professional, whereas some of the previous offers did state that.  I know when I took advantage of this last year, I booked through a 3rd party TA and still got the AmEx Offer.  YMMV  I'm already past final payment, so I think I've missed the boat on this deal.

Thanks for the info. We were able to add the offer to our Delta Skymiles Amex thru the link helpfully provided upthread.

Question: we have a family cruise booked thru a TA for May. We have some money down. Is there any way to make an interim payment and have it count? Must we make all payments thru the TA?

TIA!

3 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

Question: we have a family cruise booked thru a TA for May. We have some money down. Is there any way to make an interim payment and have it count? Must we make all payments thru the TA?

TIA!

Since your booking is with a TA, you must make any payments though that TA. Yes, an interim payment will count. If multiple members of the family have an eligible AMEX card, then each may take advantage of the offer.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jb008 said:

Of note this current offer does NOT specify that bookings can be done through travel professional, whereas some of the previous offers did state that.  I know when I took advantage of this last year, I booked through a 3rd party TA and still got the AmEx Offer.  YMMV  I'm already past final payment, so I think I've missed the boat on this deal.

Even though it does not specifically say it can be done through a travel professional, it should be not problem as long as the payment shows Holland America. And if you have a TA whose payment shows the agency instead of the cruise line, you should seriously consider getting a different TA.

Be aware THAT AMEX is now taking away the money if you add the offer to different cards. This is well documented on Flyertalk. Also, if you have an authorized user as well as the regular user, this applies. HOWEVER, the money off and the points off are different offers!! I am lucky enough to have gotten both last time around and this time, although I don't currently have a cruise booked. If both a husband and a wife have separate cards, I think you would be OK. I know this last time by paying with both offers I paid extra, but my TA converted it to shipboard credit. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, mcrcruiser said:

All though we have AMX credit cards ,we prefer to book using our  Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card ;because we then get Free trip cancellation & free trip interruption insurance + baggage insurance  .We save really big with not having to buy the insurance  . Chase covers us up to a $10000 .00 each trip cost . all we then buy is a supplemental medical & medical evacuation policy at $91  . We are  79 & 80  ,so trip insurance is rather costly with out the Chase  trip insurance benefit .We now can cruise more often :classic_biggrin:

Boy do I feel really really dumb  :classic_huh: and maybe someone can help.  We have a cruise booked for March, booked onboard last spring and then transferred to our TA.  Our final payment date is sometime mid December and we usually pay with a VISA card (cash rewards).  But we do have an American Express card issued by Pentagon Federal Credit Union which we could use if it qualifies for this offer.  Does anyone know if that PFCU AMX card qualifies?  And if so how and with whom do I "add the offer"? When I've read postings about an AMX offer in the past I just assumed our card didn't qualify but if it does I sure wouldn't mind an additional $100 credit.

Thanks bunches in advance!

On 11/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, Love2cruise77 said:

For those who didn't get this offer, you can also try to add it through the backdoor:

http://americanexpress.com/wlcl

17 minutes ago, regnig said:

Boy do I feel really really dumb  :classic_huh: and maybe someone can help.  We have a cruise booked for March, booked onboard last spring and then transferred to our TA.  Our final payment date is sometime mid December and we usually pay with a VISA card (cash rewards).  But we do have an American Express card issued by Pentagon Federal Credit Union which we could use if it qualifies for this offer.  Does anyone know if that PFCU AMX card qualifies?  And if so how and with whom do I "add the offer"? When I've read postings about an AMX offer in the past I just assumed our card didn't qualify but if it does I sure wouldn't mind an additional $100 credit.

Thanks bunches in advance!

You click on the link in Post # 13.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:26 PM, sfaaa said:

Don't quite understand why Amex elects to give $100 cash rebate to some and 10k reward points to others? It's the same promo. Why the different treatments?

Marketing people do split offers to see which has a better response.  Common technique.