Upgrade-just before cruise

8373seth

We are 4 days out for our Bliss cruise.  We've put in some bids for upgrades.  I imagine at this point we will not get them.  But I wanted to ask what's the latest someone has been upgraded?(I know they can upgrade you up to 48 hours before the cruise)  If the cruise shows 'sold out' does that mean no upgrades or might there still be a chance?  Give me some hope. 🙂

8 hours ago, 8373seth said:

We are 4 days out for our Bliss cruise.  We've put in some bids for upgrades.  I imagine at this point we will not get them.  But I wanted to ask what's the latest someone has been upgraded?(I know they can upgrade you up to 48 hours before the cruise)  If the cruise shows 'sold out' does that mean no upgrades or might there still be a chance?  Give me some hope. 🙂

In April, we got upgraded on Wednesday for a Saturday cruise. 

In June, we got our reject emails 48 hours to cruise. 

8 hours ago, 8373seth said:

You kinda answered your own question.... asking a small sample of NCL passengers, Cruise Critic members who bid, doesn't really provide any more insight than you already know......

"I know they can upgrade you up to 48 hours before the cruise" 

• Haha 1

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this instead of just ignoring it. Your valuable insight is appreciated. 

26 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

You kinda answered your own question.... asking a small sample of NCL passengers, Cruise Critic members who bid, doesn't really provide any more insight than you already know......

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 8373seth said:

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this instead of just ignoring it. Your valuable insight is appreciated. 

Actually, you being so smug failed to recognize I also answered your question by pointing out you already knew the answer...... up to 48 hours before departure. 

55 minutes ago, 8373seth said:

I'm not sure why people have to be so rude, but good luck on your bid 🙂 happy cruising

I’m just responding to a response that was intended to be smug itself. 

31 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

I'm not sure why people have to be so rude, but good luck on your bid 🙂 happy cruising

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Actually, you being so smug failed to recognize I also answered your question by pointing out you already knew the answer...... up to 48 hours before departure. 

And my questions were for folks to let me know if they received upgrades this late in the game. Yes I know it can happen up to 47 hours prior. That wasn’t my question. I simply wanted to know others’ experiences. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 8373seth said:

You just never know....  If there happen to be last minute cancellations you can still be moved.  Good luck!

I do find people go off topic and can be rude in many posts. 

Set your bid(s) that you are comfortable with, change/raise it/lower it as you see fit, remember unsold inventory in the next higher categories - for specific deck/cabins aren't necessary what you migth be assigned as a GTY, if awarded - it's a Calculus formula, odds aren't going to be high if it's (nearly) soldout at T minus 5 days (of course, never say never ...) depending on what you are aiming for (on the mega-class/+ ships, there are far more mix of balconies available than say, oceanviews [mostly on deck 5].  

Most recently, on the Escape, we got our upgrade Friday morning around 10 for the Sunday 3 pm sailing for a 7 nights, off-season cruise.  Back in April, we got our upgrade on Tuesday (Wednesday ?) for a Saturday sailing and last October, about 10 days out (that was for a balcony) ... but our BIL got their balcony much earlier (and bid/paid a higher amount, in the fair range)  

If you take a look at this Sunday's Escape 14 days NY-W.Carib sailing - which I've been tracking for some clues & cues, the upgrade process is pretty done & over - except for a handful of Havens & newly "available" OV & I/S, probably released with the musical cabin upgrades "processed" within the last 24 hours, some were done earlier.  Lots of theories on timing, who, processes, etc. - all I would say, IMHO, from nearly a dozen of successful bids among friends, extended family & ourself since this was launched ... LOL.  Good luck !

4 hours ago, esm54687 said:

i don't understand why so many posters have to be mean when they reply. Love thy neighbor 

22 minutes ago, travelguy2009 said:

i don't understand why so many posters have to be mean when they reply. Love thy neighbor 

Tell me what's mean??

The OP answered their own question with how close to departure a bid could be awarded which is 48 hours..... and that's all I said was "you answered your own question" 

it's like me saying "I know 2+2=4 but I want to know what total other people get when they add 2+2".

Geez 

I'm in the same position as you are.  I have a cruise leaving on Sunday on the Escape and I have put in a couple upgrade bids.  Yes, I am well aware that they have up to 48 hours out to accept your bid.  However, I was wondering  how often does it actually happed that you get a bid accepted this close to the 48 hour deadline.  I wish us both luck!  Either way I'm going to have a great cruise!

4 hours ago, Torence said:

I'm in the same position as you are.  I have a cruise leaving on Sunday on the Escape and I have put in a couple upgrade bids.  Yes, I am well aware that they have up to 48 hours out to accept your bid.  However, I was wondering  how often does it actually happed that you get a bid accepted this close to the 48 hour deadline.  I wish us both luck!  Either way I'm going to have a great cruise!

Each cruise is unique to another..... many factors go into awarding a bid such as how many bids are taking place, how is the overall ship occupancy, how many cancellation take place, how many bids are awarded in categories above you that free up the stateroom to allow your bid to be accepted, etc...... bids will be awarded as early as day 80 and as late as day 2 and everything in between.  If you haven't received a denied email you're still in the running for an award. NCL does not publish a graph of when successful bids are awarded, but reading through Cruise Critic threads concerning the Upgrade Advantage Program, which actually represent a small sample of total participants, there are a lot awarded the last week before departure.

Edited by esm54687

6 minutes ago, xcell said:

If you have 3 people in the cabin, and the upgrade rooms your a bidding for are sold out for 3 persons -- does that mean you won't get it?  

Not necessarily. The people in those rooms might get upgrades, freeing up their rooms. Plus there are possible last minute cancellations.

• Like 1

I think 48 hours from the cruise departing. It's definitely not from midnight the morning of, because I received my notice at noon on Friday for a Sunday sailing (eastern time). On my last sailing I got all of my decline notices at about 12:30pm on the Friday before a Sunday sailing.