Charging $$ on Galley and Bridge tours now?

CeCe_

15 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I don't cruise every year and I have been on Princess.

The free tours for all guests have been gone from Royal for many years.  Royal still does offer free bridge/galley tours for high loyalty point cruisers. 

The tour that costs $119 is around 2 hours and covers more areas than the free loyalty tours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If I recall correctly, the galley tour  was only $20 per person for us this past January on the Liberty  and included a fantastic lunch afterward 

Dan

Unlimited champagne too?

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Unlimited champage too?

Yeah mimosa’s or orange juice before the tour started.  Don’t remember if there was straight champagne during the lunch or not.  I  just remember the beef tenderloin being fantastic and the cheese and antipasto spread being great.

At most the tour was $35 pp.  it was somewhere in the$20-$35 range.   We did not pre-book, we booked it once we are on the ship after the head waiter offered it to us 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

57 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yeah mimosa’s or orange juice before the tour started.  Don’t remember if there was straight champagne during the lunch or not.  I  just remember the beef tenderloin being fantastic and the cheese and antipasto spread being great.

At most the tour was $35 pp.  it was somewhere in the$20-$35 range.   We did not pre-book, we booked it once we are on the ship after the head waiter offered it to us 

Dan

I think Royal calls this the Bottomless Galley Brunch.

• Like 1

As said Free for High Tier C&A as in past but has been at a cost for years now and a Higher cost with the many Drinks tour. The only free ones I took in 80-90's were only 15min long anyway, heres the Bridge, next group. Or when they had the Grand Midnite Buffet they'd let you "peek" into the kitchen while taking food pictures before you could eat. Now they are better behind the scenes tours and 5-10 times longer with more area and info covered

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I think Royal calls this the Bottomless Galley Brunch.

We just did this on Serenade last month. It was $32 per person plus gratuities. The tour itself was great but the "bottomless" brunch was not bottomless, but the mimosas were. Service was also extremely slow as they only had 3-4 servers working the event for 80 people.

4 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

My last Christmas cruise on Ruby Princess, galley tour was free.

$119 is a big bite.

On Princess the galley tour usually takes place after the cooking demonstration in the theater. They funnel you though the galley and you exit into the $10 sale area set up in the dining room.  I wouldn't really call it a tour - just a quick walk through. However, the backstage theater tour on Princess occurs after the Q&A and is truly a free informative tour with no sales pitch.  

I haven't been on Royals tours yet but just hit diamond so will go for free next time 🙂  I assume it will be similar or better to Princess but I was content to wait for it since I had done similar in the past.

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not sure when you last cruised but these tours have not been free for a long time. 

We did galley, laundry, engine control room, bridge etc on Radiance in 2014. It was over $100pp.

5 hours ago, jeansaussie1 said:

On Princess the galley tour usually takes place after the cooking demonstration in the theater. They funnel you though the galley and you exit into the $10 sale area set up in the dining room.  I wouldn't really call it a tour - just a quick walk through. However, the backstage theater tour on Princess occurs after the Q&A and is truly a free informative tour with no sales pitch.  

I haven't been on Royals tours yet but just hit diamond so will go for free next time 🙂  I assume it will be similar or better to Princess but I was content to wait for it since I had done similar in the past.

D gets just the backstage theatre tour.  D+ adds the galley and bridge tour.

10 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

$119 is a big bite.

It isn't just a galley tour.  It is "all access".  You visit the laundry, dry and refrigerated/freezer storage areas, liquor storage, galley, I95, recycling, engine room, bridge.  I thought it was well worth it.

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What year were you on Princess? They have been charging for ship tours as well  for years.

Really?  what year they started charging ship tours?   My original post wasn't asking for whole ship tour.

17 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

$119 is a big bite.

Then don't take the bite. I wouldn't mind taking the tour myself but the price isn't right for us so we'll lay out by the pool deck or something else instead.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Then don't take the bite. I wouldn't mind taking the tour myself but the price isn't right for us so we'll lay out by the pool deck or something else instead.

The galley, bridge, backstage, engine room.... isn't exactly my things.   The ad just popped up when i logged on to my account getting ready for my upcoming cruise.

16 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

The galley, bridge, backstage, engine room.... isn't exactly my things.   The ad just popped up when i logged on to my account getting ready for my upcoming cruise.

Then why complain about it? (Many would read your initial post as a complaint.) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Then why complain about it? (Many would read your initial post as a complaint.) 

It was simply a question.  I have no control how you interpret.

Edited by CeCe_