Vanilla

MrSchwump

Do any recent visitors to Cozumel recall seeing Vanilla for sale and if so, what was the price?  Costco has a 16oz bottle for $35.00 here at home.  I wondered if Mexico would be cheaper as they're known for Vanilla.

thanks!

7 hours ago, calmpets said:

I don't recall the specific pricing, but it was definitely much cheaper than that in Mexico. Plus you can bargain with the vendors, so even if it's marked for, say, $20, you can probably get it for less than that.

I hate to sound obtuse, but isn't Cozumel part of Mexico, just an island off the mainland?  So do you mean the price is cheaper than on the mainland?

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I hate to sound obtuse, but isn't Cozumel part of Mexico, just an island off the mainland?  So do you mean the price is cheaper than on the mainland?

That's my fault. I wasn't clear. I meant that $35 at Costco in the USA is more expensive than what I've seen it priced as anywhere in Mexico, but specifically Cozumel. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calmpets said:

That's my fault. I wasn't clear. I meant that $35 at Costco in the USA is more expensive than what I've seen it priced as anywhere in Mexico, but specifically Cozumel. Hope that helps!

Ah, right.  I parsed your sentence poorly!  Got it!

Hmm, if we ever visit Cozumel (exploring the options now, obviously, since I'm in the Port of Call forum for it), I can see that being on our shopping list, we like real vanilla!

I was Leary buying the vanilla from open air stands that even with the bartering of price.  I dont know just the idea of a bottle of vanilla being in the heat day in and day out just concerns me.

We were able to purchase 4- (12 ounce bottles ) in the duty free shop at port for $20 US

I have used this specific brand before and have had no issues with it.

I did try to see how much a vendor would bring down the price in an open stand and I was able to get them down to $8 US dollars for a 20 ounce bottle.  Did not buy, just  moved on.

Going back in July, more vanilla time.

Safe travels.

We buy vanilla every year in Mexico as that is our regular vacation destination.  Buying at stalls is iffy.  However, you can visit the local Mega or other grocery store and get wonderful vanilla.  Read the labels and know what you are buying.  There are different grades of vanilla.  No more than 35% alcohol.  I cannot remember the name of an ingredient you don't want in it but it starts with a "c".  Vainilla Mayan Gold is very inexpensive and good.  Zanilli is expensive but top of the line. 

Again, watch buying at the stalls because it can be very old and maybe not the real stuff.

2 hours ago, Melsyboo14 said:

Watch out for Coumarin..That is the ingredient to watch for...or anything that says tonka bean..Tonka bean has coumarin

Thank you, I couldn't remember that ingredient.

• 5 weeks later...

I was just there and saw some at the shops in the port that were 3 for $20 for probably a 30 oz bottle. However, being leery of it I noticed the first ingredient was water. I imagine there is quality vanilla elsewhere, as folks here have mentioned, so make sure you're getting the real stuff. 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:24 AM, Lionesss said:

We were able to purchase 4- (12 ounce bottles ) in the duty free shop at port for $20 US

I have used this specific brand before and have had no issues with it.

We did exactly the same and were very pleased with it! :classic_smile:

If you get a good price on vanilla, it is probably Coumarin no matter what the label says. The demand for vanilla is so high that no producer will sell you a bottle for $10/20 when they can get $35 without trying. The bad part is Coumarin smells and tastes more like vanilla than vanilla. Some estimates are that 90% of vanilla sold in Mexico is Coumarin. The worst is when they charge you a premium for "real" vanilla so that you think because it is expensive it must be real vanilla. Only vanilla you should get in Mexico is beans so you can make your own and know what you are buying.

Of course, don't take my word for it. Find a nice reputable source and read about it for yourself.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:34 PM, LakeWobegon said:

On a related note, don't buy Tajin in Cozumel. We had it sprinkeled over pineapple on a shore excursion and bought a few bottles just to find it cheaper on the shelves of the local big grocery store in the ethnic section when we were home. lol

It's delicious on the rim of a homemade michelada too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also recommend Los Cincos Sol.   Been going there for a year.  I asked a local from the dive shop and so pleased with them.  It is about two blocks to the left when you leave the downtown cruise terminal.   They also have clear vanilla.   They carry a stronger vanilla in a cool bottle that I purchase for gifts.