Cell phone service question

sapphire_407

We have AT&T as our provider and were able to use our phones as usual in  Puerto Rico and St. Thomas.  The service was good too.  We did not buy a package and used free Wi-Fi for e-mails anytime we got off in port.  We needed to stay in touch with home also, but did not need to directly speak to anyone everyday.  Your situation may be different, but the e-mails worked for us.  Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sapphire_407 said:

My husband and I are leaving next week on the Glory.  We run two businesses and really need to use our cell phones now and then.  My question, when in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico will I get my normal unlimited use?  My provider is AT&T.

AT&T has an unlimited cruise plan for $100.00.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, Saint Greg said:

Interesting. I never thought about that. Do AT&T data plans work there as well?

We sailed to PR and StT early December.  We have Sprint so that's all I can speak for ... but ... I took my hot spot which worked great stateside yet internet/wi-fi with the hot spot was "spotty at best".  I had some luck in the morning but no wi-fi in the late morning or afternoon on my hot spot or phone - only regular phone call service.

• Thanks 1

I have AT&T as well.  My package does include all US territories and Mexico.  On board the ship I purchase the value wi-fi plan and use wi-fi calling on my phone.  I use it to text and make calls.  Occasionally there will be an hour or so when it doesn't work, but it works most of the time.  Make sure you set up wi-fi calling and have it on before you get on the ship.

Historically, coverage in San Juan and St. Thomas was perfectly fine on AT&T.  No different than any other place in America.  In the aftermath of Maria it was quite spotty for an extended period so we communicated with our FEMA deployed son via his secure gov't phone.  I believe that by the summer of 2018, things were pretty much back to normal so you should all be good to go from now on.