Cheers and sharing

jholleye

My husband and I are taking our 2 daughters (age 8 and 7) on the Carnival Magic next week. We have purchased the Cheers program for us. I'm curious how strict the "no sharing" policy is. The kids don't drink soda or coffee, would maybe indulge in a juice or a fruity non-alcoholic drink once a day, so getting them the bubbly package doesn't seem worth it for them. Is it possible to order them a juice or a milkshake, not making it obvious? Is this something they are watching for? 

Thank you!

8 hours ago, jholleye said:

My husband and I are taking our 2 daughters (age 8 and 7) on the Carnival Magic next week. We have purchased the Cheers program for us. I'm curious how strict the "no sharing" policy is. The kids don't drink soda or coffee, would maybe indulge in a juice or a fruity non-alcoholic drink once a day, so getting them the bubbly package doesn't seem worth it for them. Is it possible to order them a juice or a milkshake, not making it obvious? Is this something they are watching for? 

Thank you!

Why not just buy them one from time to time.

Sometimes I have to laugh. Carnival makes a change that rises prices a bit.  IE: the new room service fees.  Everyone goes nuts. But yet there is no end to the post about how to cheat the system to avoid paying for what you should pay for. Carnival is a company and like all companies they are in business to make money. Every time someone cheats them out of money they have to make it up somewhere. Now a drink or two for each of your daughters may not seam like much.  Maybe $10 a day each. Keep in mind Carnival has 25 ships, holding 2000 persons, sailing roughly 350 days each. So if each person takes just avoids paying $10/day  that makes $17,500,000 per year Carnival loses.

• Like 7

We didn't get the cheers package.  We debated about it and didn't think we would drink that much.  Glad we didn't because our most expensive day was around $85 in drinks and we would have wasted so much money with it.  We did get the bottomless bubbles for myself and my daughter and I got my husband some sodas with it.  We just took them back to the room and drank them on the balcony.  We also might have brought out own alcohol that we added to said sodas...but shhhh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The bartenders and baristas may or may not say anything, but they'll figure it out.  I would just hate to put them into the no-win situation of whether or not to enforce company policy--make the boss angry, or make the customer angry. If you are one to follow the rules, maybe consider carrying on a favorite canned or cartoned juice or beverage.  Otherwise, when compared to land based restaurants and coffee shops, Carnival is pretty reasonable.

• Like 3

I’ve seen people get away with it and I’ve seen people scolded by bartenders.  They have free juice and ice cream in lido. Also the 12 packs you can each bring on don’t have to be soda. They just have to be in cans or cartons.

We bought Cheers! on a recent Horizon sailing. Would not have been worth it for our family had our dinner server not automatically brought frozen drinks for kids at each dinner. 2 each for 3 kids.... I wrote about it in a recent review called "newbies on the horizon." We did not ask so I do not consider it cheating. However, we will not do the package again as we spent so much time waiting in lines to "get our money's worth."

• Like 3

what does happen if "you get CAUGHT"????

For people who tried bringing on a 5th of Jack, and got caught...do they kick you off the ship????

Also, I know you can take a 12pack of soda, what about things like Red Bull, I hate Monster drinks, can I bring both?

Order the virgin drink and then take it over to the pool and give it to the child no one would know or care about one or two drinks. (I doubt any parent would be giving their kids more than one or two high sugar drinks a day away.) 

On our last cruise, I purchased Bubbles and usually at night I got some juice to take back to the room for my diabetic daughter- did I tell the bartender it was for her so the would charge me? Did he ask? no.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

For people who tried bringing on a 5th of Jack, and got caught...do they kick you off the ship????

Also, I know you can take a 12pack of soda, what about things like Red Bull, I hate Monster drinks, can I bring both?

They can discontinue your package with no refund for the remainder of the cruise

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

If they catch you before you board they will just throw it away, once you're on and smart about it aka get sodas bring them to your room and mix them there there is no way to catch you.  

I'm not a fan of Coke products, so I like the fact that I can bring on a 12 pack of Pepsi!! 

If I bring a 12 pk of Pepsi and a pack of Red Bull,(in my carry on) will they make me throw away the Red Bull?

What about when your in port, can you bring a 12 pack of soda back on the ship with you and be able to take it back to your room??

15 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

I'm not a fan of Coke products, so I like the fact that I can bring on a 12 pack of Pepsi!! 

If I bring a 12 pk of Pepsi and a pack of Red Bull,(in my carry on) will they make me throw away the Red Bull?

What about when your in port, can you bring a 12 pack of soda back on the ship with you and be able to take it back to your room??

yes, in port you can bring more sodas back with you.  

Nobody has ever "counted" our pepsi's we bring on--we are 3 people and usually put them in our rolling carry on bag...nobody has even opened the bag to see what they are.   I am surprised, unless the scanner can see that its soda vs beer?   Either way, I don't like beer, so its always pepsi :):)

7 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

yes, in port you can bring more sodas back with you.  

Nobody has ever "counted" our pepsi's we bring on--we are 3 people and usually put them in our rolling carry on bag...nobody has even opened the bag to see what they are.   I am surprised, unless the scanner can see that its soda vs beer?   Either way, I don't like beer, so its always pepsi :):)

I agree, more Pepsi the better!! LOL  

Red Bull doesn't have alcohol in it, and some times i like one in the morning.  Just wasn't sure if it counted against the 12 pack of soda.   

I will just have it all in the carry on and see what happens!! LOL

Frankly I don't understand why this topic comes up so often.  People are looking for total strangers to give them permission to cheat.  If you want to cheat go for it.  If you get caught just don't complain about the consequences.  Personally, I don't want to spend my vacation worrying about getting caught.  

You can afford the cruise, the flight, the excursions and then you want to cheat on a few drinks.  I look at this as part of the price of my vacation.  We get Cheers, drink what we want and enjoy ourselves.  If you are a drinker it works out, If you aren't a drinker it isn't worth it.  

• Like 5

I never said I was going to cheat... I was just curious as to what happens if you got caught.  I personally feel like 95.00 for a 5th of Jack thru Carnival is raping people, but to each their own.  People will do what ever they want regardless, I'm sure that those who "sneak" stuff on, don't care about the rules!!  Just my humble opinion!!

I've always had a great time on a cruise, and I'm sure I will continue to do so!!

Have a great day!!

22 hours ago, jholleye said:

Thank you!

Yes, I guess age 8 and 7 are good ages to teach your kids how to steal. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

I agree that personally for me, I would be afraid of getting caught etc...I would think a special drink a couple times a day your daughters will be thrilled and it won't be that much.  I hope you enjoy your cruise vacation!

On another note - years ago I was a regular sneaker of alcohol in my suitcase.  I always wondered if I got caught what would happen.  A few years back I just stopped.  It isn't right, and it seriously wasn't worth it.  I can afford to cruise and all that goes with it.  I work hard like I am sure you all do and save my money for what I want to do.  Cruising is my favorite thing and I do it as much as I possibly can!

Cheers everyone!

Vicki

• Like 5