Do you take your passport off the ship?

bandjwayne

Everyone can find an anecdotal reason to support either side. The fact of the matter is it is not required to bring your passport (unless the port requires it). 

My personal choice is to ensure I have two IDs with me on every trip, but not always on my person. I have seen a few instances of someone losing their identification and not having anything. I will leave my passport in the room. The cruise lines will leave it with the port authority if need be. I carry my photo ID and a passport copy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

FTFY

The ships will try to retrieve them, but that is NOT guaranteed.

Neither is it guaranteed that the food is prepared appropriately or the ship is being handled safely. But, we trust them to do those things well as promised, and we should also trust that they will handle the passport situation as promised.

Not sure why you single out the passport/safe issue as they only thing you repeatedly remind us that is not guaranteed. If you can't trust them to do that simple task, how can you trust them to do everything else properly? Why do you continue to cruise with companies you do not trust?  🙄

Edited by SantaFeFan

I think a lot of the debate over "take or leave" with passports is that some are focused on experiences in Caribbean ports, while others (including me) are basing our opinion on cruising in other countries than Mexico and the Caribbean.

I am mainly focused, having been stranded before, the added stress finding the person who has our passports.

34 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Neither is it guaranteed that the food is prepared appropriately or the ship is being handled safely. But, we trust them to do those things well as promised, and we should also trust that they will handle the passport situation as promised.

Not sure why you single out the passport/safe issue as they only thing you repeatedly remind us that is not guaranteed. If you can't trust them to do that simple task, how can you trust them to do everything else properly? Why do you continue to cruise with companies you do not trust?  🙄

Don't believe it is a case of not trusting the cruise line, but being aware that operational priorities may dictate whether passports are landed.

Where pax remain ashore and the Captain has an operational need to depart the berth ASAP, the Hotel & Security Depts will not be searching safes and landing passports.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have been assured by officers on my cruise line of choice that IF they have the passport in their possession (as sometimes is the case on European itineraries) or IF it is in the safe, they will leave it with the port agent. No guarantees, but their word is good enough for me.

Everyone must come to their own decision. I have been cruising for +40 years and traveling for even longer. My considered decision works for me.

I'm sure they meant every word and it is certainly your decision to be dependent on the ship's crew to remember to leave your passport.  But if they forget or can't find your passport it's a minor matter for them but has far greater consequences for you.  You then also have to locate the port agent who probably doesn't work 24/7/365.

Carrying your passport makes you less reliant on other people for whom your problem isn't of the same significance.  There is comfort in certainty particularly when plans go awry.  If I have my passport on me I am certain where it is and am not depending on others. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I'm sure they meant every word and it is certainly your decision to be dependent on the ship's crew to remember to leave your passport.  But if they forget or can't find your passport it's a minor matter for them but has far greater consequences for you.  You then also have to locate the port agent who probably doesn't work 24/7/365.

Carrying your passport makes you less reliant on other people for whom your problem isn't of the same significance.  There is comfort in certainty particularly when plans go awry.  If I have my passport on me I am certain where it is and am not depending on others. 

From my brain to your fingertips on the keyboard!

2 hours ago, pcur said:

I think a lot of the debate over "take or leave" with passports is that some are focused on experiences in Caribbean ports, while others (including me) are basing our opinion on cruising in other countries than Mexico and the Caribbean.

I am mainly focused, having been stranded before, the added stress finding the person who has our passports.

My experience is mostly based on cruises other than the Caribbean/Mexico. Virtually all of my cruises are elsewhere (excluding one recent cruise that included Cuba where, of course, one must take one's passport ashore).

I'll tell you what is also stressful -- finding the local police department and making a statement about losing your wallet and potentially your passport after having been pickpocketed. 

20 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I'm glad you are comfortable with your choice, as I am with mine. I have my own experiences to rely on, and these inform my decisions. Should I face circumstances that alter my assessment of the risk, I will change my behavior.

I also don't seem to regard being left at the port with the same horror as many. Perhaps that's one benefit of all my independent/solo travel. I feel capable of sussing out the port agent if necessary, getting myself to a consulate, even getting myself to the next port -- for which a passport isn't always required, especially in Europe.  Sure, port agents may not work 24/7, but I imagine I'll be aware that I'm in all likelihood going to miss the ship at around the same window that the ship is departing -- at which time the port agent is most definitely on duty.

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My experience is mostly based on cruises other than the Caribbean/Mexico. Virtually all of my cruises are elsewhere (excluding one recent cruise that included Cuba where, of course, one must take one's passport ashore).

I'll tell you what is also stressful -- finding the local police department and making a statement about losing your wallet and potentially your passport after having been pickpocketed. 

I'm glad you are comfortable with your choice, as I am with mine. I have my own experiences to rely on, and these inform my decisions. Should I face circumstances that alter my assessment of the risk, I will change my behavior.

I also don't seem to regard being left at the port with the same horror as many. Perhaps that's one benefit of all my independent/solo travel. I feel capable of sussing out the port agent if necessary, getting myself to a consulate, even getting myself to the next port -- for which a passport isn't always required, especially in Europe.  Sure, port agents may not work 24/7, but I imagine I'll be aware that I'm in all likelihood going to miss the ship at around the same window that the ship is departing -- at which time the port agent is most definitely on duty.

Color me puzzled.....................

There's no pick-pocketing going on with a neck wallet that has an uncuttable cord.  It's under the clothes, cannot be seen, lightweight, and holds all my 'portant documents and cards.  So, that virtually eliminates the whole police thing.

I just cannot see why someone would think it's more convenient to go find the port agent than to eliminate that step entirely.

There are clearly two camps on this topic:

* those that are concerned that something will happen to them so they must carry all documents that they might possibly need just in case

* those that are concerned about losing one of the most important documents they own to pickpockets, robbery or carelessness.

Both have valid points on the topic.

However, the most important question is: "Which of the two camps is the most paranoid!" 😉

Edit: Actually, there is a third camp:

* those that follow the advice of governments and travel professionals and don't worry about either because they keep their passport in their safe when not required by local laws, so they know where it always is so they can get access to it if that extremely rare "something" happens and they need it.  👍

Edited by PTMary

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

T

* those that follow the advice of governments and travel professionals and don't worry about either because they keep their passport in their safe when not required by local laws, so they know where it always is so they can get access to it if that extremely rare "something" happens and they need it.  👍

Don't know your Nationality, but MY Government recommends cruise travellers carry a valid Canadian Passport and protect it at all times. No mention of leaving it in a safe aboard ship. 

Edited by Heidi13

I leave the passport in the safe and I have a photo on my phone if I go on a cruise line excursion or just walking around the port town.

I always make sure to be back at the ship in plenty of time before the all aboard time.

If I was doing a self guide excursions I might bring it with me. I am not particularly fearful of it being stolen, but we like going swimming, but you have to bring everything with you in to the water, so I don't want to bring to much with me.

29 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Don't know your Nationality, but MY Government recommends cruise travellers carry a valid Canadian Passport and protect it at all times. No mention of leaving it in a safe aboard ship. 

Perhaps it is a uniquely American outlook to treat a passport like it is a precious object that must be kept under lock and key at all times.  A Canadian embassy employee told me it is better to have it with you because it is the only way a foreign official can immediately determine that you are legally in the country.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

There are clearly two camps on this topic:

* those that are concerned that something will happen to them so they must carry all documents that they might possibly need just in case

* those that are concerned about losing one of the most important documents they own to pickpockets, robbery or carelessness.

Both have valid points on the topic.

However, the most important question is: "Which of the two camps is the most paranoid!" 😉

Edit: Actually, there is a third camp:

Interesting generalizations.

There is a 4th group of which I belong:  those of us who think it's just convenient to have everything in one container for a grab-and-go, while simultaneously being ready for unfortunate events.  It's not being paranoid:  it's being prepared.

If I was paranoid, I would never have traveled again after being stranded in a foreign country after a cruise, with no transportation, and a husband with bronchial pneumonia.  However, I decided after that I would 1) always have a cell phone with service  anywhere I was traveling; 2) always have my passort; 3) always have a credit card with a large credit line; 4) always have my Schwab debit card so I could use any ATM anywhere in the world (except Croatia: their ATM didn't like my debit card); 5)always have a decongestant with us.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

Perhaps it is a uniquely American outlook to treat a passport like it is a precious object that must be kept under lock and key at all times.  A Canadian embassy employee told me it is better to have it with you because it is the only way a foreign official can immediately determine that you are legally in the country.    

When I started cruising I didn't even have a passport so not having it with me isn't a big deal at all (and even before that my travel was undertaken without a passport). That I'm in the country legally is proved by the big ship in the harbor (which was also the case for the foreign travel I took prior to cruising, except that the ship had guns:classic_smile:). 

Edited by sparks1093

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not much in life is guaranteed. 

I have been assured by officers on my cruise line of choice that IF they have the passport in their possession (as sometimes is the case on European itineraries) or IF it is in the safe, they will leave it with the port agent. No guarantees, but their word is good enough for me.

Everyone must come to their own decision. I have been cruising for +40 years and traveling for even longer. My considered decision works for me.

No saying they will not do their best.  I just have an issue with people who use an absolute, they WILL, for something that could not actually happen.  You are setting unreasonable expectations for people who don't know better.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SRF said:

No saying they will not do their best.  I just have an issue with people who use an absolute, they WILL, for something that could not actually happen.  You are setting unreasonable expectations for people who don't know better.

It's not unreasonable for them to say it when that's what they are told by the cruise line's officers. They would be the ones setting unreasonable expectations.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, pcur said:

I can remember going into Barbados right after the invasion in Grenada, and the Bajan security and police were all over everyone's luggage, tickets, and ids.  It can happen any time in a flash.

I doubt many people research the political or social situations of the countries they are travelling to😥 especially if those countries seem so stable and peaceful. Nothing happens in a flash, it is generally something that has been bubbling for a long time. But for me it is a good enough reason to keep my passport with me in foreign countries because while the cruise company might have contingencies and the embassies are suppose to help it is still reliant on the country being safe and functioning. When things start collapsing no one cares there is a cruise ship in port. With a passport you can get out quickly without taking detours. Like everyone else my opinions are coloured by my own experiences😉 so I would not claim to have the right answer but in the end that is how we all choose our insurance, by the cover we feel we need to be protected😎.

• Like 2

This topic is so common on CC that many have grown weary and just ignore.  I will quibble with the poster who says its easy to replace a lost/stolen Passport in a "day or two" and explain that US Consulates/Embassies are closed on weekends and holidays (local and National).  In the Caribbean there are very few consulates for the entire region (Barbados is probably the busiest) so replacing a Passport becomes even more complicated if lost in a place like St Maarten.  

Do we carry our Passports?  Our practice for over forty years of extensive International travel is to use common sense.  Most of the time, on land or sea, our Passports are securely locked in a safe (be it a hotel or cruise ship).  We do carry them in the few countries where it is required and on other occasions  if we have a good reason.  If we do carry them, it is in a secure Passport wallet kept under my shirt.  And by the way, we assume that those who always carry their Passports in the Caribbean never go swimming :).   In a related matter (which we have posted a few times over the years) while we were on a Celebrity Silhouette cruise in Europe, two of our cruise mates carried their Passports when they went ashore in Tel Aviv, Israel.  They decided to take a dip in the sea (it was a gorgeous day) and left their stuff on the beach after asking some other cruisers to keep an eye on their stuff.   That couple (who were supposed to watch) did a bad job because when the swimmers returned to get their stuff their Passports and other valuables had been stolen.  And to make matters even more embarrassing, the man was a NYPD Detective and his wife a lower ranking cop.  Those folks were lucky because the ship spent the entire following day in Ashdod where they were able to get emergency Passport replacements.  Fortunately  it was a work day, there was a US Consul back in Tel Aviv (about a 1 hour drive), and it only ruined two port days for the couple as they worked to get their replacements.

Hank

On 1/6/2019 at 5:48 PM, sft429 said:

You've never had a problem but has the copy of your passport ever done you any good?  Did you ever need it?

A photo copy helped me a couple of times when renting a car.  In some places the rental car agencies want to have the details of your Passport (Passport Number and dates).  But we stopped carrying copies years ago and now keep a scanned copy on one of our hotmail accounts...which we can always access via the Internet/phone.

Hank

po

On 1/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, sft429 said:

You've never had a problem but has the copy of your passport ever done you any good?  Did you ever need it?

Hard to say, only asked for id entrying port area, we had a copy and our real california driver's license... using take both when going ashore.  

Reading through this thread, I recognize it really depends on the type of travel you do and where.  We have done cruises all over the Mediterranean and the Middle East and Northern Europe... the only time we needed a  visa was in Turkey because we flew in to get a ship.    We usually hire a car service or use taxis or public transportation to get around,  we do not travel far and wide in countries on our i.e., using a rental car.  I also take info on how to contact an American Embassy and US Passport Agency info for passport replacement if necessary.  I have private travel insurance that provides assistance if necessary.   So while I have not felt the need to carry a passport with me daily, there be reasons, based what you are doing, typically on ship I would say it is not necessary.  

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

In most cases I have heard of a passport being stolen, it was with the money.

Money was the target.  Quite possibly the passport went into the next trash can.

Very likely but it was still lost to the traveler.