Do you take your passport off the ship?

bandjwayne

We're having first time cruisers join us on a cruise in a few weeks (Eastern Caribbean).  They were wondering if they should bring their passports off ship with them.  In the past we've personally left our passports on the ship, but took a paper copy of them with us.  This is because I was worried our bag might get stolen.  Now I'm rethinking this as I'm not sure a paper copy would help me much if I actually needed the passport.  What do you do with your passport???

You will probably get a 50-50 split here.  We always leave ours locked in safe, with a note on outside cabinet door noting passports are in safe (if we were late and security came to retrieve them) and then we take a color photo copy of passports with us when we get off ship.  Of course we always try to plan our days not to run too close to all aboard time.  

I never leave the ship without our passports.  I keep them in an RIF holder in a travel neck purse with a steel cord that cannot be cut.  I wear it under my clothes, or across my chest, and keep credit cards and cash in it, too.

It's the only way to truly identify yourself as an American citizen, and the only way to get out of a country if you miss the ship.  A paper copy will help to get your passport replace by the US Embassy, but that means waiting for the new passport in that location, instead of going to the airport or ferry and getting to the ship's next stop.

I've never understood the logic of taking a passport on a trip and not keeping it with you.

• Like 3

I do not carry my passport ashore unless the particular country I'm visiting requires it. 

If you leave your passport in your safe, it will be retrieved and left with the port agent should you, for some reason, miss the ship.

In 40 years of cruising I have never come close to missing the ship. Whereas I have been pickpocketed twice. I'd rather not take the risk...

(Some cruise lines even hold your passport on cruises in certain areas -- so carrying it isn't an option.)

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, bandjwayne said:

We're having first time cruisers join us on a cruise in a few weeks (Eastern Caribbean).  They were wondering if they should bring their passports off ship with them.  In the past we've personally left our passports on the ship, but took a paper copy of them with us.  This is because I was worried our bag might get stolen.  Now I'm rethinking this as I'm not sure a paper copy would help me much if I actually needed the passport.  What do you do with your passport???

We never take ours off the ship. In fact on our cruise last month we were never asked for photo id upon returning to the ship area,only our sea pass cards.

I don't like carrying things with me that I don't need to carry so I leave them in the safe unless they are required by local law. Everyone has to make the decision that is right for them and there is no right or wrong answer that is universal. 

We never take them out of the safe unless required to. No need to carry such a valuable document when it is unnecessary. We do carry a copy in case we are unexpectedly asked to "show our documents" (which has NEVER happened in all our years of traveling). 

Cruise lines know it is in their better interest to provide the simple courtesy of checking the room safe for passports if they know you will miss the ship. No cruise line I know of would knowingly turn their backs on assisting their customers in this way. At least, no cruise line I would ever patronize.

If Cruise Critic members were left stranded without their passports, you can bet they would come here and complain loud and clear. And they don't. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

If Cruise Critic members were left stranded without their passports, you can bet they would come here and complain loud and clear. And they don't. 

Actually, anyone who has been around CC for a while would know better than to come back here and admit that they missed the ship. They know there would be post after post of unempathetic "seasons cruisers" telling them how irresponsible they were for missing the ship in the first place.😉🙄

22 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

We never take them out of the safe unless required to. No need to carry such a valuable document when it is unnecessary. We do carry a copy in case we are unexpectedly asked to "show our documents" (which has NEVER happened in all our years of traveling). 

Cruise lines know it is in their better interest to provide the simple courtesy of checking the room safe for passports if they know you will miss the ship. No cruise line I know of would knowingly turn their backs on assisting their customers in this way. At least, no cruise line I would ever patronize.

Here's what has happened to us in our 45 years of cruising:

On our cruise in October 2018 I was chasing my husband down the street in San Juan, Puerto Rico, because I realized he was going back to the ship to get something without his passport.  I caught up with him at the gate to the dock, arguing with the security guard about not letting him pass without it.  Security measures in many ports are getting tighter, and what used to be the usual procedure is no longer.  It's hit-or-miss as to which port, and it depends on the security alert level on that particular day.

Yes, the staff on board the ship will most likely go to a cabin and retrieve the passport, give it to the port authority, and sail away without the passenger(s) not checked-in.  Personally, I don't want to be one of those passengers needing to deal with finding the port authority with my passport (I'm not going to assume they will be standing on the dock waiting for me; it could be hours before I get back).  Then, I'd have to find my way to the next port.  

If what is described above doesn't happen, then I have to find the US Consulate or Embassy and get my passport replaced.

We were stranded in a foreign country after a cruise due to a port closure, along with the passengers from 5 other ships.  Even with a passport it was a nightmare getting home 3 days later.  I would NOT have wanted to deal with that AND replacing my passport.  We just happened to be stranded over a holiday weekend where there were no hotels available except about 50 miles away. 

You just never know what's going to happen:  plan for the worst; hope for the best.  Keep the passport with you to eliminate that extra step in a bad situation.

Edited by pcur

2 hours ago, bandjwayne said:

I only take my passport off the ship in those ports that I am required to have the passport while ashore.  That's been about 2 or 3 times in 23 cruises.  The rest of the time the passport remains onboard, in my safe.

Beyond that, I take my ship's card and driver's license (photo ID).  

• Like 2

This merry-go-round has started up yet again. Consider the fact that there are two camps vehemently opposed: the "never take a passport off the ship" camp and the "always take my passport ashore" camp. Given that, use your own judgement and never mind what anyone else does. Polling on this subject is a waste of time.

• Like 1

I agree with Shorex. There are two different camps on this issue. Both believe they are correct, and neither is going to change their minds.

But, since you asked what we personally do, I leave mine in my stateroom safe. I am far more likely to lose it or have it stolen than I am to miss the ship. That said, I also have the mobile passport app, so I do have a photo of my passport in my phone.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I only take my passport off the ship in those ports that I am required to have the passport while ashore.  That's been about 2 or 3 times in 23 cruises.  The rest of the time the passport remains onboard, in my safe.

Beyond that, I take my ship's card and driver's license (photo ID).  

And also take the ship's newsletter for that day which will have the phone number of the port representative so you can call if you know in advance you will be late.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Always take it with me anywhere I go. Even have it with me when I work.

Some places I go sometimes require 2 forms of Real ID for identification.

Sometimes I never know when I may have to fly last minute.

Would hate to be in Vegas, hit a jackpot and can't get that private jet to Mexico because I left the passport at home.

Oh,,, but it might get lost, misplaced, or stolen.

Very true.

That could also happen to my credit cards, wallet, and drivers license.

But those can be replaced

Actually a lost passport is easier to replace than lost credit cards or drivers license. Only takes a day or 2.

34 minutes ago, payitforward said:

I agree with Shorex. There are two different camps on this issue. Both believe they are correct, and neither is going to change their minds.

I never try to change someone else's mind on this issue. What someone else does with their passport has absolutely no affect on me at all.

1 hour ago, Shorex said:

This merry-go-round has started up yet again. Consider the fact that there are two camps vehemently opposed: the "never take a passport off the ship" camp and the "always take my passport ashore" camp. Given that, use your own judgement and never mind what anyone else does. Polling on this subject is a waste of time.

True, made up minds will never change on this subject. But it is still worthwhile expressing one's personal opinion, from either position, in order to assist someone who is unsure what might be best for themselves, such as the OP.  Best to offer that opinion without passive insults to people with other points of view as was done with a recent post an hour ago that has since been removed. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

The point I'm trying to make is the world is changing, and what was true for decades might be different now.  The two experiences I related were in 2005 and 2018:  one in Spain, and the other in Puerto Rico.  Just making up your mind and not taking in new facts is not wise when traveling.  Policies, laws, security, etc. are fluid and can change.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I do not carry my passport ashore unless the particular country I'm visiting requires it. 

If you leave your passport in your safe, it will be retrieved and left with the port agent should you, for some reason, miss the ship.

In 40 years of cruising I have never come close to missing the ship. Whereas I have been pickpocketed twice. I'd rather not take the risk...

(Some cruise lines even hold your passport on cruises in certain areas -- so carrying it isn't an option.)

Agree with cruisemom42...exactly what I wanted to say.

Note: Regarding a photo of my passport (or driver's license)...the security guard in Nassau refused to accept the "phone photo" at the gate...my mistake.  Lesson: If the ship tells you to bring a photo ID along with your seapass card..bring both.

We've also asked several airlines if they will accept "phone photos"...answer: "no".  Would appreciate any information from anyone where a "phone photo" was accepted...thanks.

Finally, next time we're overseas and walk by a U.S. Embassy, we'll make sure to go in and ask if having a "phone photo" of our passport will help us in the event it was lost or stolen.