Ship Arrival Appointment

marysb

This is the first cruise Ive been on where we were given a boarding appointment time.  Is this a recommendation or a hard and fast rule?  Our appointment is for 1:30, but we like to get on as early as possible?  Will we have trouble trying to board around 11 or so? (and no we are not expecting rooms to be ready )

I have seen people get to the front and sent to a later line.    I hear from others they could check in at 11 with a 1pm time.   so its really the luck of the draw.      You take your chances arriving at 11 with a 1pm check in time

Keep in mind you are provided a check-in window, not a boarding window.  The check-in time window is when you should arrive at the port. There is a separate line for passengers who show up outside their appointment window.  This line can move fairly fast or it may not move at all, depending on how busy the terminal is at that time.  If you show up at 11 AM you might get lucky, but you also might find yourself waiting outside in line for 2.5 hours until your check-in time window opens.  The biggest impact on how long you wait will be how many people with priority (Diamonds, Platinums, FTTF, suites, etc.) arrive at the port early as well as how fast they process passengers with earlier check-in windows. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

3 hours ago, marysb said:

This is the first cruise Ive been on where we were given a boarding appointment time.  Is this a recommendation or a hard and fast rule?  Our appointment is for 1:30, but we like to get on as early as possible?  Will we have trouble trying to board around 11 or so? (and no we are not expecting rooms to be ready )

This will be our first time, too, with boarding appointment times, and I haven’t completed our check-in info to get a time, yet.  We are traveling as a multigenerational party of 11, and three of my nephews are still waiting on passports to arrive.  (If that even happens, considering the current U.S. government shutdown.)

Hhhmmm?  Maybe we will all be having lunch in New Orleans and not on the cruise ship that day.  That’s really not a horrible outcome, after all, it’s NOLA.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

This will be our first time, too, with boarding appointment times, and I haven’t completed our check-in info to get a time, yet.  We are traveling as a multigenerational party of 11, and three of my nephews are still waiting on passports to arrive.  (If that even happens, considering the current U.S. government shutdown.)

You do not have to have all of the information required to complete your on-line check in.  You can scroll through to the arrival appointment section, choose your time, and save.

You can go back in any time later to complete or edit the information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You can scroll through to the arrival appointment section, choose your time, and save.

You can go back in any time later to complete or edit the information.

You can't choose your Check In time until final payment date.

11 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

You can't choose your Check In time until final payment date.

In our most recent case it opened 90 days prior to sailing, which was prior to final payment date.

Nonetheless I read the post as meaning the option to complete the process was available, but that the poster was waiting for passports to arrive.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

1 hour ago, MississippiMom said:

Hhhmmm?  Maybe we will all be having lunch in New Orleans and not on the cruise ship that day.  That’s really not a horrible outcome, after all, it’s NOLA.

Last time we sailed out of New Orleans we had lunch in the French Quarter and walked around the area.  We boarded late and literally were the only ones in line.  Great experience.

Edited by mexicobob
pushed wrong button
  • Thanks 1

When are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale .  There was only one time in our drop down menu in the online checkin.  We had only a choice of 1:30 pm.  We will probably go early and take a chance.   -Wait at the port or wait in a hotel... we’ll try the port.

24 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

In our most recent case it opened 90 days prior to sailing, which was prior to final payment date.

Nonetheless I read the post as meaning the option to complete the process was available, but that the poster was waiting for passports to arrive.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

You read correctly.  Thank you for your advice!

6 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You're welcome.  Happy sailing.

I selected noon as our arrival time.  I figured that nice round number would be easy for everyone to remember.  Plus, if someone just has to have brunch in NOLA, there will be time for that, too.

So very glad I came across this thread today.

4 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I too was concerned about the processing of passports, so I checked into it.  It seems that this is not an area affected by the shutdown and they are supposed to process as normal.  🙂

• Like 2

It depends on the port.  Some of them are very strict about the check in time and will tell you to come back at your assigned time.  I've seen both …. they will let you in anyway, and/or people being turned away to wait standing outside until your time.   Luck of the draw!  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Florings

12 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Last time we sailed out of New Orleans we had lunch in the French Quarter and walked around the area.  We boarded late and literally were the only ones in line.  Great experience.

Lunch at the French Quarter is what I would do anyways!!!  we love NOLA!!  And the food is to die for!!!

11 hours ago, marysb said:

When are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale .  There was only one time in our drop down menu in the online checkin.  We had only a choice of 1:30 pm.  We will probably go early and take a chance.   -Wait at the port or wait in a hotel... we’ll try the port.

Not sure when your cruise is, but keep in mind it can get very hot outside in Florida any time of year.  Personally I would rather be in an air conditioned hotel than potentially standing outside in the heat for a couple of hours.

If you want to get on the ship earlier, did you look into buying FTTF?

Edited by PhillyFan33579

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure when your cruise is, but keep in mind it can get very hot outside in Florida any time of year.  Personally I would rather be in an air conditioned hotel than potentially standing outside in the heat for a couple of hours.

If you want to get on the ship earlier, did you look into buying FTTF?

Ok, so it sounds like the appointment time is the appointment time and not flexible.  That was really what I needed to know. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, marysb said:

Boarding in the morning-  will update on just how this appointment thing works.  Sounds like it’s pretty new since there have been few responses about actual arrival times and how strict they are.

It's an appointment time, not a suggestion. Carnival offers some perks through their VIFP loyalty program and Platinum and Diamond members select an appointment time but they are allowed to arrive earlier.

Remember your appointment time is when you arrive at the pier and is not to be confused with boarding time which is later.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marysb said:

Boarding in the morning-  will update on just how this appointment thing works.  Sounds like it’s pretty new since there have been few responses about actual arrival times and how strict they are.

It isn't that new and the terminal people have no issues enforcing it.  Some of them are fairly gleeful when people get snotty and they deny them entry.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, sanmarcosman said:

It's an appointment time, not a suggestion. Carnival offers some perks through their VIFP loyalty program and Platinum and Diamond members select an appointment time but they are allowed to arrive earlier.

Remember your appointment time is when you arrive at the pier and is not to be confused with boarding time which is later.

Yes, very clear that this is the time you show up.  Have had lots of cruises and I know that it takes as long as it takes to get registered and on the ship.

Anyway, we did show up early.  There were 2 lines only -  one for priority and one for everyone else.  No problems getting in a line when we arrived .    By 1pm, the lines were very small too, and all lines moved very fast.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, marysb said:

I think that this system is to allow a more even flow of traffic.  We had a check in time of 12:00 last year in Long Beach but our flight and transport got us there by 11.  We were willing to wait until our designated time but they told us to go ahead and board.  There were no lines and we walked right on.  So I see it as a stop gap measure when the masses arrive at once. 

Sounds like experiences will vary.  We arrived at Long Beach about an hour early (less traffic on the road than anticipated).  

This was around 12:30 and we had a check in time of 1:30 to 2:00.  We were prepared to wait, but were hoping to at least get into the terminal to sit as the weather was not very nice.  There were 2 entry ways into the terminal:  on time and a little early/a little late.  We went to the little early/little late queue, but there wasn't anyone in either of the queues so we were directed to a check in podium and from there directed to the ramps/escalators to board the ship.  We were on board around 1pm.  So, if you are early or late at Long Beach you go to that queue where you will wait while they serve the on time people (kind of like the regular queue and fast pass queue in Disneyland).  In our case, no wait.

• Like 1