What’s your favorite specialty restaurant for first night of cruise?

kismet618

Leaving February 9th on The Epic and booked Teppanyaki for first night. Also have reservations set for remainder of cruise with Moderno and Cagney’s as the other specialty restaurants I booked with the Dining Package. I was curious what other CC’ers book first night. This is our first time on the Epic, but have been on the Escape, Getaway, and Sky.  Have also booke Priscilla Queen of the Desert, but didn’t book the Cirque dinner show. 

Edited by kismet618
Added info

Cagney's is my favorite.   We tend to have a "liquid dinner" on embarkation day, followed by a few bites in the buffet right before closing. 

Cagney's is my favorite NCL restaurant but Teppanyaki is also quite good and my wife's favorite.  we usually do hibachi first and save steak for near the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If there is an Ocean Blue and we plan on eating there, we try to do that on the first night. 

We're doing Cagney's on the first night of our upcoming cruise, but that might change if we see something we like on the MDR menu and want to try that. 

12 minutes ago, kismet618 said:

Leaving February 9th on The Epic and booked Teppanyaki for first night. Also have reservations set for remainder of cruise with Moderno and Cagney’s as the other specialty restaurants I booked with the Dining Package. I was curious what other CC’ers book first night. This is our first time on the Epic, but have been on the Escape, Getaway, and Sky.  Have also booke Priscilla Queen of the Desert, but didn’t book the Cirque dinner show. 

actually our tradition is to eat at the Asian restaurant the first night if the ship has a complementary one. We started this about 10 years ago and have continued it since. The last night we always choose the MDR. The rest depends on how many dinners we get wiht a package plus our Plat plus dinners. Booking Teppamaki's is a great way to start a cruise. 

This is the first cruise we are starting with dinner in a specialty restaurant the first night and the first time in Cagney's, which is crazy. We always close the cruise with Teppanyaki, at that point, I am wearing the most comfortable dress and have no issues eating all the rice, noodles and meat I want! LOL

We typically spend the first night getting acclimated and don't do a big dinner, so we've never done a specialty, or even MDR, on first night. We do what havanadaydreaming does - liquids and snacks. 🙂

Cagney's and Le Bistro, though, for sure, somewhere along the ride. We leave on Jade in 15 days and have two specialties in our package, so those will be the two.

• Like 1

We love Moderno.  A warning though don't eat too much from the salad area before you get the meat!!!  Another warning make sure you try the Seafood Chowder but again not too much.

Try to keep a "menu" on your table so you can see what you haven't tried.  Make up your minds of what you want to try and refuse the others till you have been through the ones you do want.

The garlic potato and the plantains are wonderful but again don't have too much.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SLYScorpions said:

I"m curious to know what anyone that has been to Moderno thinks about it.  My husband and I have specialty reservations at Teppanyaki, Moderno Churrascaria, and Le Bistro coming up in March. Happy sailing everyone!

We love Modenro's but it seems like they are struggling and some of the ships have taken it out for other restaurants. The salad bar is great and we have been very happy with the meat selection. Some think it is too rare, others not rare enough. WE have always asked for the beef to be rare and have gotten it that way. We do this at the very start of the meal. 

Last cruise we used our OBC at Teppanyaki and had a great group we were paired with, so it started the cruise off on the right note. Coming up next month we have reservations for Moderno for the first night. Figure after a long day of flying, grab a quick snack once we get onto the ship and settled with drinks, and then eat endless meat for the rest of the evening. Next day is a sea day, so we can sleep in and recover. We have Cagney's and La Cucina booked as well as we didn't get to try them on our last cruise.

• Like 1

My tradition is to dine in La Cucina with a nice glass of Merlot and a pasta dish. It is typically not crowded at 5:30, and I receive excellent service. This is on the Jewel class ships and I’m excited that on Monday I will continue this tradition on my first B2B cruise. This one on The Jade.

36 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

I'm curious, no one has mentioned the Haven Restaurant, so are they not open the first night (we're in the Haven on our next cruise....1st time)  just wondering?

I am currently bidding on a Haven suite for our cruise next month, and have never been, but if I do win, I will likely keep my Cagney reservation for the 1st night. The Haven menu never changes so that could be why some people plan to visit it in later nights.

40 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

I'm curious, no one has mentioned the Haven Restaurant, so are they not open the first night (we're in the Haven on our next cruise....1st time)  just wondering?

It is open.  Just not mentioned yet by anyone.  On Escape they have offered 1/2 off Food Republic first night so we did that last trip and Margaritaville was free for lunch first day although it doesn't sound like this is consistent across the ships or sailings.

Oh, OK.....I understand!!  We DO have 3 specialty restaurants perks but we were waiting until later in the cruise to decide when to use them, but just wondered why the Haven wasn't mentioned.....I understand it's supposed to be comparable and maybe better than the specialty restaurants so wondered.  Thanks for the replies.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, newmexicoNita said:

actually our tradition is to eat at the Asian restaurant the first night if the ship has a complementary one. We started this about 10 years ago and have continued it since. The last night we always choose the MDR. The rest depends on how many dinners we get wiht a package plus our Plat plus dinners. Booking Teppamaki's is a great way to start a cruise. 

Funny. We are just the opposite with MDR the first and Asian the last.  Tradition.    We will be on the Dawn next. LOS LOBOS day 1.  Broken tradition.