inside rooms

cruzer_77

8 hours ago, Jared100 said:

We have booked inside rooms twice and always receive a nice upgrade offer, once to a OV for $50 and once to a balcony for $100, on 4 and 3 day cruises respectively

That’s great! I’m in an inside cabin, and the only offer they gave me to upgrade was $367 to a balcony. I assume that is pp, so, of course, I turned it down. There is no way this retired couple felt that was a good offer. Now, if they said $50 flat fee, not pp, yes, I’d take it. But I book insides specifically for their low cost, and to allow us to cruise at least once per year. As a retired couple, who spent their working career in two very good paying professions, but raised 5 children, paid for 5 weddings, and 5 college educations, there wasn’t really much left in the old savings account for any vacation beyond basic. We book inside cabins and just may book one excursion out of whole cruise. Air fare is a killer, too. So, no, I won’t accept an upgrade unless it is truly fabulous, and I’ve yet to see one that fits our budget. 

• Like 1

We have only ever gotten inside or porthole rooms. We really enjoy the inside cabins, the darkness is just so nice. I'm an early riser, so I go out do some laps, walk around enjoy the ocean. While the wife sleeps away. We do pay more usually for a higher level or havana or spa. But I've toured the suites and balconies and for us, it's not worth the money. We can use that for premium dining, excursions, bingo, etc. Now based on lots of people on here, I have booked an ocean view next year for an Alaskan cruise. The reasoning there is that kind of trip is all about the scenery and you're basically always within site of something cool. It'll be our first time doing something of the cold variety.

We've been on inside, balcony, and ocean-view cabins and have enjoyed them all.  Balconies are nice, but we spent so little time on them we don't book them anymore, instead we split the difference and usually get an ocean-view.  Inside cabins are great if you want to sleep, but with the TV now having a channel showing a view from the fore of the ship that would be nice keep your bearings as to night and day.

Believe me, there is life after having a balcony cabin, and if you want a view of the sea wander up to one of the open decks..... as a bonus you can people watch and you'll be closer to the food and bars :classic_wink:

• Like 1

We've done everything from Inside to Balcs.  Our sweet spot is OV but it all depends on relative price.  Did an Obstructed OV for Alaska last year (last minute) and while other folks were paying $2,000 pp we were onboard at $349.  It felt like we were stealing. 

• Like 2

This is just one more example of "different strokes for different folks".  We all have our own individual preferences, priorities, vacation styles, and budgets.  It's great that there is a cabin type for every cruiser and a cruiser type to fill every cabin.:classic_smile: 

As for me, I would never cruise in an Interior.  I've cruised in OV, Balcony, and Various levels of Suites.  I have sailed in an OV after Balconies, and am still willing to again, depending on the particular situation for that cruise.  I would never go below an OV because the space, as well as the light and the view are important to me. 

DH and I prefer Suites.  We do spend time in the Suite and on the balcony throughout the cruise.  It's not just a place to sleep and dress.  If we had an Interior, of course that would be all the cabin was really suitable for, but the space and amenities  of a Suite (or even a regular Balcony cabin) make it a much more enjoyable space in which to spend time and relax. 

I guess it comes down to our cruising style is more "quality over quantity".  I would never choose multiple cheap-as-I-can-get-onboard cruises in an Interior over one Suite cruise with the quality, comforts, and experiences I enjoy.  I'm just not that desperate to get on a cruise.  I'm not a "I don't care, just get me on a ship" person.  Nor do I feel that "a bad day cruising is better than a good day at work".  Or that "as long as I don't have to cook it or clean up after it, it's good enough for my vacation".  When I cruise, I want it to be "worth" doing, and for me, an Interior does not meet that criteria.

But, once again, this is all about personal choice, priority, and preference.  No one can tell anyone else if something will be "worth it".

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1

Always get an inside.  I had a balcony and hated it.  Was either to windy or to hot.   We only use the room to sleep and like being out with people.   Would rather spend our money on other things than a room 

• Like 1

Inside cabins are fine.  I did an inside, then a balcony, then an inside for my 3rd cruise.  It was inside or don't go at all since it was somewhat last minute and I didn't have the funds for a balcony.  I was a little afraid that I would really miss the balcony, but in reality, I had no complaints.  I wasn't really in the room anyway.  

• Like 1

I have done inside, porthole, and Oceanview. Porthole was my favorite because you can look outside, but the cost is closer to inside than Oceanview.

I think a balcony would be a fun experience, but we are the type of people who only use our room the shower/change and sleep. No point in spending all that money just to sit in your cabin! I'd rather go on nice excursions.

• Like 1

For our first ever cruise, everyone told me I just had to do a balcony. So I did. I must say it is quite the different experience to walk into the balcony room. The balcony is also a gorgeous view and very relaxing. It's also nice to have a bigger room, and I appreciate having a couch. 

With that said, we don't book them anymore. I believe we were on the balcony for a total of about 2 hours. I actually don't want to be anywhere near my room unless we are sleeping, or getting ready. With the cost sometimes reaching double the price of an interior, there is no way I can justify a balcony. Like I said before, I don't even really want to be in the room. Plus, the view of the ocean isn't exclusive to a balcony. We would rather do multiple cruises. I would consider an oceanview or porthole more if they weren't on the bottom. I hate being down there. I don't even really care for the window anyways. The bigger room is nicer to me.

What might not make sense, is that I have evolved my views on hotels. We generally do 1-3 nights before a cruise near the port. I used to find the cheapest one. Location wasn't as important. Now I will pay more for a more luxurious facility in a better location. That tends to be about a $100-$200 difference which not only gives a better room, but I find the location to be priceless. It's nice to be able to walk all around the city without having to buy rental cars, ubers, waste time in traffic. I don't find as much value in a $1000+ difference for a balcony room.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruzer_77 said:

How bad are inside rooms? We went on our first cruise last year and had a balcony. We may be going again this year but want to save some money and are thinking of booking an inside room. Not sure if I would be able to handle not having sunlight in my room. 

I have been on 5 cruises.  Always had a balcony or an ocean view until last year when we booked an inside room.  Granted it was on Royal Carribbean, not Carnival.  With that said, I would have absolutely no problem booking an inside room again.  In fact, I am getting ready to book another cruise for late fall, and it will be an inside cabin.  I don't cruise to spend time in the cabin.  I love being outside people watching.  So a cabin isn't a big deal to me.   (Side note:  When we cruised Alaska, I couldn't have imagined having anything other than a balcony.  So I guess too it depends on where you are going!)

Edited by Countrygurl
adding note

I book depending on the ship and cruise - if it is port intensive - don't waste your money on a balcony.  I would say it is a must for Alaska but these are my opinions.  

I do enjoy a balcony for the peace and quiet but you can usually find that somewhere if that is what you are looking for.

We like them, especially the darkness. The only balcony we'll pay up for is a cove (Dream class and up), and that's only if we get an upgrade call and the price is right. We spend very little time in our cabin, and the money we save by booking an interior can go toward Cheers or excursions.

Edited by watermelonqueen99

I know everyone has their opinions in regard to this question.  I have had the inner, window, port and balcony rooms. Normally I do the inner room (been cruising over 25 years).  The reason being, all I do in my room is shower/dress and sleep.  I did like the other rooms as well, but for money to spend on doing other things, I would do the inner, or port hole.

I really hate having to use lights during the day.  That's why I'd never book an inside cabin.  For others, they don't mind that!  It's really up to you.

On some lines, an inside cabin is the same size as balconies....on others, the inside cabins can be smaller.....it just depends on the ship!

First cruise was a suite (present from my mom), then we did OV.  I have done a balcony too.  Wasn't sure I would like an inside, but went ahead and booked one for a solo on the Victory this past September.  Loved it!  It was quiet.  I brought some battery operated tealights which gave just a hint of light.  And I set an alarm on my phone to avoid the disruption to a regular sleep schedule.  If I napped during the day, I left the TV on.  I am usually only in the cabin to sleep as well.

Booked an inside for a RC cruise in May, and will be in a Havana Interior in September.

I've sailed in an inside room 8/10 cruises. That's what was in the budget & honestly I dont spend enough time in the room to have cared especially on girls trips & when my kids were young. They aren't bad & if that's how you can afford to cruise more go for it! You do sleep well for sure. 

I did a balcony once with my boyfriend sans kids. Sure it was nice, but I sure don't think I used it enough to justify the $$.

Now that said, if you can pull it off, I do highly recommend an oceanview. We had one last cruise & LOVED it. It was barely more than an inside but gave us the view & natural light. Plus the windowsill was an awesome place to sit & watch the ocean go by. Some ships offer ocean views with a second half bath. We got that last cruise & booked the same room again for our next in April.

I've only sailed once in a true Inside cabin and didn't really like it much.  I like to see the sun during the day.

We did try a Porthole cabin a few years ago on the Valor and really enjoyed it.  The cabin was the same size as a regular OV or Balcony cabin.  The one thing we really liked about this cabin, was that it's considered an Inside cabin for pricing, but you have plenty of sunshine during the day PLUS a huge extra "shelf" in front of the portholes that came in quite handy for all that stuff everyone has in their cabin.  Some of the porthole cabins are pretty small and come with bunk beds.  Some have no couch in them.  Fortunately ours was very roomy and comfortable.  We would book one again.  There are not very many of these cabins on the ships and are generally only on the bottom 2 decks at the front of the ship.