Bermuda or Cuba?

58 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We want to go someplace we’ve never been for our anniversary. Would you recommend Bermuda or Cuba?  Why?

Cuba..... hands down because you don't know what the political climate may be in the future so get there now.   Bermuda is always available. 

13 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We want to go someplace we’ve never been for our anniversary. Would you recommend Bermuda or Cuba?  Why?

The weather is always nicer in the Caribbean ocean. It can be a pretty bumpy ride to Bermuda. Cuba would be my vote.

It seems to me that the two countries offer different types of vacations.

My DH and I have vacationed fifteen times to Bermuda since our honeymoon there in 1983.

We have enjoyed cruises there as well as resort stays. We have gone to Bermuda during the Summer months, for Christmas holidays and in February.

All our vacations there have been enjoyable.

We have gone to beautiful beaches, taken tours, enjoyed great restaurants, taken ferry rides and visited a few golf courses. Most of all,we have relaxed in a beautiful and welcoming place.

After reading several reviews of cruises to Cuba, it seems that the vacations are full of tours and visiting sites of cultural and historical significance.

It may be due to the short stays in Cuba that visitors try to get to see as much of the country as possible.

There is a great review by Bimmer09 on the Celebrity boards.

His reviews include excellent photos and videos as well as detailed descriptions of his journeys.

This recent review of his visit to Cuba through a cruise on an Azarama ship may give you some insight as to you choosing Cuba for a vacation destination.

You will find the review on the Celebrity board with the title of “X Cruiser Tries Azarama to Cuba” ( something like that ,I am not certain of the exact wording).

The review is up to page 11 now, giving information of time  spent in Havana,one of the  three Cuban ports included in the cruise.

He will continue to post until all of his journey is completed. It may take him weeks to accomplish this, but his reviews are so well done that I think the review deserves the time it takes a CC person to read it.

• Like 1

We’ve been to Bermuda 5 or 6 times. We usually go in May. Going again in May 2020. Bermuda would the clean and functional Caribbean Island.   Going to give Cuba a try in Jan 2020. The political situation is very iffy so want to go before it’s closed again. We lived in Venezuela for many years but left in 2000 as we had enough of Hugo Chavez and his shenanigans. Now it’s worse and will never return.

There are close ties between Cuba and Venezuela...so nothing will surprise me. I have another cruise booked for the Eastern Caribbean at the same time in case the Cuban ports are once again closed to US citizens.

Edited by Granny DI
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 2:34 PM, sarlin said:

I've been to both.  I'd say Bermuda-Can't go wrong with either one really though-

PS- I'm a NC teacher who loves cruising as well!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm thinking.  We've been all over the Caribbean and want to go someplace different.  We'd love to go to Alaska or Italy, but this year our budget is tight.  I love beaches, but my husband loves history, so either would work well for us.  My boss has already approved me missing one of the first weeks of school next year.   🙂  I never ask, but it will be our 25th anniversary.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, crazycatlady82 said:

Bermuda. Depending on what type of job you may have (military or government), you may not be able to go to Cuba. I can’t. Bermuda is beautiful and clean though....I’d go back! 

I'm a teacher, I can go to Cuba.  We want to do both eventually.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What was so special about it?  The itinerary we're looking at is only going to Havana, Key West and Stirrup Cay.  

I have only been to Havana. It is so different to any place I have ever been - almost suspended in time - like going back to the fifties. Safe, people are warm & wonderful even though they have little, no Starbucks, etc, old cars, mostly cash society. 

A bit sad because I think at least some of the people that knocked Cuba have never been there. We have been 6 times. Beaches are beautiful, maybe some of the best in the Caribbean. People are very friendly and genuine. I believe one of the safest islands in the Caribbean. A trip to Havana is a must, just so much history there. Food is not great but is good. Oh and the cigars!! Nothing like it. Never been to Bermuda, so I can't say anything about it.