HAL final payment due date

qoap24

I am booked on a HAL cruise on June 2nd and booked through a TA. My mom just went in and made a dummy booking on HAL's website to see if prices have gone down. It appears that HAL's website has a sooner final payment due date then what our TA has us down for, by 10 days. I would just pay early based on the HAL's due date, but for work reasons I am not able to do so. I basically need more time to make sure I can get the time off. 

Does anyone know if this is common? If it makes a difference, my TA is a big box store. I am now stressing out that if we go by our TA's due date, our booking will be canceled and it looks like this cruise is close to being sold out. 

Final payment is normally 70-90 days out from sail date.  For instance, on our March 30, 2019 cruise, final payment was due January 14th.  I suggest that you call HA.  Don't tell them you're already booked.  Simply ask when final payment would be due for your particular cruise.  It's strange that your TA has a later date than HA.  Our TA always gave us final payment date at least a week prior to HA's to allow for all the transactions to go through properly.  No one wants to be late on a final payment and possibly have their booking cancelled.

The big box agency lists your final payment date, at least in my case, 2 weeks prior to HAL's final payment date. If you let them know what is going on, that can be taken care of. They just want to make sure you don't miss HAL's date accidently. The only date that matters is HAL's.

20 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Final payment is normally 70-90 days out from sail date.  

Do you know what circumstances make the final due date vary instead of being just 90 days?

Thank you sevenseasnomad and richwmn for your responses. 

19 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

Do you know what circumstances make the final due date vary instead of being just 90 days?

Thank you sevenseasnomad and richwmn for your responses. 

Cruises of 30 days or more have the 90 day final payment BUT cancellation fees start earlier than that IME. World & Grand Voyages have different final due dates altogether.

Our current cruise is 24 days and payment was 90 days from sailing.  

We're on a section of a world cruise in January (booked with a big box TA, and not only have a final payment 135 days out (120 days for HAL plus 2 weeks for the TA) but also an interim payment of $6k (about 40% of the fare) due about six months before departure. FWIW, HAL offered a 3% discount on the base fare if we paid it all off seven months before departure. 

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

It's strange that your TA has a later date than HA.  Our TA always gave us final payment date at least a week prior to HA's to allow for all the transactions to go through properly.  No one wants to be late on a final payment and possibly have their booking cancelled.

My TA does the same, and I appreciate it. ☺

If you pay it early to the big box store it is still refundable until HAL’s final payment date, if you have booked a refundable fare.  We had this situation where we had paid in full but had to cancel before HALs final date and all the money was refunded.

7 hours ago, qoap24 said:

My mom just went in and made a dummy booking on HAL's website to see if prices have gone down.

Are you sure your mom checked the right cruise? As others have mentioned, TA final payment dates are usually earlier than HAL's, not later.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

If you pay it early to the big box store it is still refundable until HAL’s final payment date, if you have booked a refundable fare.  We had this situation where we had paid in full but had to cancel before HALs final date and all the money was refunded.

Thank you for telling me that because I did not realize it. That makes things less stressful.

2 hours ago, PSR said:

Are you sure your mom checked the right cruise? As others have mentioned, TA final payment dates are usually earlier than HAL's, not later.

Yes, she booked the right cruise, she sent me an email confirmation plus I have been in the HAL's site booking shore excursions. But after seeing everyone's responses, I am sure now there is a mistake. I was just hoping that because we used a big box TA that they had some kind of special arrangement but I guess not. 

We normal do not book our cruises this far out or with a TA, so this is all new to me. Thank you everyone for your help. 

10 hours ago, qoap24 said:

Thank you for telling me that because I did not realize it. That makes things less stressful.

I do not see any problem... does not your travel agent have your credit card number?    You did charge your cruise and not pay  cash  I hope.     

Just pick up the phone and call your agent and tell them to make the final payment when it comes due.     They should do this automatically but if your worried just call your agent again and  tell them what you want  them to do......   

So, dont get stressed its very simple.       As an added benefit many credit cards from Chase  ( marriott and UAL) offer free travel insurance  for up to $ 20,000 if you use their card to pay for your trip.   ....  Relax  no reason to have to go in  it...just make a phone call.  

Big box agents do not enjoy any special arrangement...however booking with a high volume agent who specializes in HAL cruises will get you all sorts of stuff.   Get one

Edited by Hawaiidan

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I do not see any problem... does not your travel agent have your credit card number?    You did charge your cruise and not pay  cash  I hope.     

Just pick up the phone and call your agent and tell them to make the final payment when it comes due.     They should do this automatically but if your worried just call your agent again and  tell them what you want  them to do......   

So, dont get stressed its very simple.       As an added benefit many credit cards from Chase  ( marriott and UAL) offer free travel insurance  for up to $ 20,000 if you use their card to pay for your trip.   ....  Relax  no reason to have to go in  it...just make a phone call.  

Big box agents do not enjoy any special arrangement...however booking with a high volume agent who specializes in HAL cruises will get you all sorts of stuff.   Get one

And I am sorry, I guess you missed the part where I stated, "I would just pay early based on the HAL's due date, but for work reasons I am not able to do so. I basically need more time to make sure I can get the time off."

14 hours ago, qoap24 said:

And I am sorry, I guess you missed the part where I stated, "I would just pay early based on the HAL's due date, but for work reasons I am not able to do so. I basically need more time to make sure I can get the time off."

I am sorry  I did not pick up on that.     Anyway I hope  the  insurance bit  might have helped you.    Anyway have a good cruise and enjoy life

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back on what we experienced. My mom called the big box store TA and asked to clarify our final payment due date since it was later than HAL's. Was advised yes our final due date is correct. We decided to roll the dice as we were seeing there were a couple of NS left and I was not able to get the guaranteed time off of work in time for the HAL's final payment date. 

Sure enough on the due date our TA gave us, our reservation was still there and we managed to get a different NS location that was not previously available and a lower fare. 

Not sure if this was a fluke or what, but wanted to share.

Thank you all for your help.

Thanks for sharing.  I am surprised that the big box stores date was later than HAL.  For all our cruises we have booked with them it has been nearly two weeks earlier than HAL.  

But glad it all worked out for you,  enjoy the Neptune! 

Edited by bennybear

At some point in the last year HAL and Princess both changed some cruises/fares from a 75 day final payment structure to a 90 day structure. If you booked before the change you would remain at 75 days. If you booked after the change you would be at 90 days. To me it sounds like the OP booked under a 75 day payment structure and the new dummy booking required payment at 90 days. HAL and Princess deposit amounts and final payment dates seem to have far greater variation than many other lines. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1