Just off Jade no drinks allowed in hot tubs?

Adian80

18 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

This past time on the Jade was the first time they were saying no drinks in the hot tub. They were having

the lifeguard enforce it. I don't know...I suppose some of the drinks have things that if the drink were

accidentally spilled would make quite a mess. I am thinking orange peels, cherries, that green lettuce

looking thingy stuff in some of the drinks. Also how about accidentally spilling a mudslide. haha

One more thing people have access to  are glass containers in the buffet that would not be a good

situation.

Good to know it wasn't just us, but I'm sad they decided to enforce it.

45 minutes ago, Adian80 said:

Our glasses were plastic, so that wasn't it. It was my first drink of the day, so not a bumbling drunk either! BTW how did you like Haven once you get all settled in?  Also was your trip home better?

Mixed feelings on the Haven experience. I'll post a full trip report soon after I write a letter to NCL with our concerns. The private pool area was a godsend, huge room was lovely, perks of early disembarking at port & final destination helpful. The rest I could do without. Had issues with our Butler and getting lunch at the pool, ended up doing most things ourselves. Still not sure what the Butler is/is not supposed to do besides bring us breakfast as that was all ours was willing to do.

3 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Mixed feelings on the Haven experience. I'll post a full trip report soon after I write a letter to NCL with our concerns. The private pool area was a godsend, huge room was lovely, perks of early disembarking at port & final destination helpful. The rest I could do without. Had issues with our Butler and getting lunch at the pool, ended up doing most things ourselves. Still not sure what the Butler is/is not supposed to do besides bring us breakfast as that was all ours was willing to do.

Wow really?  We've always had lovely Butlers.  The kids would keep them hopping with requests and there was always tasty treats waiting for us when we got back on the ship. What did you ask that he /she wouldn't help with?

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Mainly because 104*F is the optimum breeding temperature for legionella (legionnaires) bacteria.

We are all so fortunate that you post here - I had NO idea this was the case. Thanks - as always - for the factual information.

4 minutes ago, cdnsteelman said:

We are all so fortunate that you post here - I had NO idea this was the case. Thanks - as always - for the factual information.

That's also why the air jets were disconnected.  Heat the water to the optimum breeding temperature and then aerosolize an inhaled bacteria.  This is also the reason that the hot tubs are drained nightly to allow super-chlorinating to kill any bacteria that may be hiding in the bio-film layer on the inside of the piping system.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

That's also why the air jets were disconnected.  Heat the water to the optimum breeding temperature and then aerosolize an inhaled bacteria.  This is also the reason that the hot tubs are drained nightly to allow super-chlorinating to kill any bacteria that may be hiding in the bio-film layer on the inside of the piping system.

Maybe I'm glad I couldn't have a nice soak now!

• Like 1

There is a safety issue with using alcohol prior to or during a soak in a hot tub. I don't know if NCL's tubs are hot enough to cause any of the problems, but hot water intensifies the effect of alcohol that can lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion, loss of consciousness and drowning. The CDC has warnings about it, and a lot of hot tub manufacturers include the warnings on their web sites (you can do a search for the links).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Adian80 said:

Wow really?  We've always had lovely Butlers.  The kids would keep them hopping with requests and there was always tasty treats waiting for us when we got back on the ship. What did you ask that he /she wouldn't help with?

Issues with our key card not working in the elevator, wrong luggage tags for disembarking, we couldn't get lunch delivered to the pool area because "Cagneys closed at 2pm and that's the only menu we have here and you would need to order from the regular room service menu...." (I only wanted a burger & fries, nothing fancy). She would bring snacks during the day, but if we didn't eat them immediately they were gone by the time we returned to the room after the shows. I understand not leaving sandwiches out all day, but we did have a fridge which would have been a perfect place to stow them if she was concerned about bacteria or flies or whatever. Never mentioned that there were extra water bottles or sodas hidden in the drawers, so we were rationing them out thinking we were only allowed 3 per day as that's all she would bring. Still to this day have no idea how to use half the light switches or keypads that were in the room, or if there was a way to buzz to door open without having to run down when someone rang the bell (especially since there's no peep hole on the outer door) - despite telling her these things, she still didn't teach us or tell us to contact the cabin steward - just smiled and nodded. We simply stopped asking...

All minor things and probably just communication gaps, but our first Haven experience did not blow us away at all. She was good at deflecting and pointing us towards someone else, rather than saying "no problem, I'll get in touch with so-and-so and have it taken care of for you".

15 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Issues with our key card not working in the elevator, wrong luggage tags for disembarking, we couldn't get lunch delivered to the pool area because "Cagneys closed at 2pm and that's the only menu we have here and you would need to order from the regular room service menu...." (I only wanted a burger & fries, nothing fancy). She would bring snacks during the day, but if we didn't eat them immediately they were gone by the time we returned to the room after the shows. I understand not leaving sandwiches out all day, but we did have a fridge which would have been a perfect place to stow them if she was concerned about bacteria or flies or whatever. Never mentioned that there were extra water bottles or sodas hidden in the drawers, so we were rationing them out thinking we were only allowed 3 per day as that's all she would bring. Still to this day have no idea how to use half the light switches or keypads that were in the room, or if there was a way to buzz to door open without having to run down when someone rang the bell (especially since there's no peep hole on the outer door) - despite telling her these things, she still didn't teach us or tell us to contact the cabin steward - just smiled and nodded. We simply stopped asking...

All minor things and probably just communication gaps, but our first Haven experience did not blow us away at all. She was good at deflecting and pointing us towards someone else, rather than saying "no problem, I'll get in touch with so-and-so and have it taken care of for you".

Did you happen to report the Butler to the Concierge?  Obviously that young lady should have never been promoted to Butler, if she treats all her passengers the way she treated you.

• Like 1

I like that rule.   It keeps people from sitting in the hot tubs a long time and monopolizing them.    If you want a drink you get out and someone else has room to get in.    

Thousands of people are on the ship yet some people will sit in the hot tubs leaving no room for other people.    This will keep a rotation going at least.    

5 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Silly question... is Haven a room category or just an upgrade/are that anyone can pay extra for?

Room category. Studio, inside, window, balcony, mini suite, suite, and then Haven - which has it's own hierarchy of room levels from a "simple" Haven suite up to a 3 bedroom villa. You can either book the Haven level cabins outright, or try to win your way in with an upgrade bid.

12 hours ago, Junebug08 said:

I don’t mind drinks in the hot tub ... but I have seen kids in adult only hot tubs time after time .  Wish they’d enforce that rule better. 

( ps- I love kids ... just not in the hot tub)

Prefer not to see either in the hot tub and yes I like both. Kids are so much fun if they are in the right place and certainly adult beverages are fun if consumed in the right place. Neither belong in a hot tub unless it is your own private one at home. Then do what you want. 

14 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I'm glad you are being critical of the service you did or did not receive.  They need to be accountable and NCL keeps charging more and it seems service on decline.  IMO some of that may be due to staff doing more or less staff than years ago.

However, short of the light switches being labeled, there are so many switches in some suites that  you'll never get it right over 7 days if the butler explained it every day.  

Weird.  Each and every time we sailed and had Vibe passes (quite a few times - not sure how many), not only were we allowed to bring our drinks into the hot tubs, the waiter would constantly take drink order while we were in the tubs, and bring them to us, no questions asked.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:47 AM, Adian80 said:

That's basically what happened. We avoided the pool deck like it had the plague for the rest of the trip.  I will say that for the pool experience I enjoyed my RCCL cruise in January much more.  The adults only Solarium is where it's at!  The pool is actually warm and bobbing in the pool (with a drink in hand) was the best part of my trip!  I have a feeling RCCL will be getting more of our business for that reason alone.

so you would so much into drinking in the hot tub and your pool experience that it would influence what line you cruise. I guess everyone has his/her own ideas on what makes a good cruise. 

15 minutes ago, Deck boy Dave said:

I for one am totally against this! Socializing with a cold beer in the hot tub with fellow cruisers has always been one of my favorite activities. 

I think exactly the same. I enjoyed drinks in the hot tubs on all my previous cruises. Last october on the Gem, the waiter did take drink order from people in the hot tub. I hope I will still be able to do this on my next cruise on the Jewel because there is many sea days :classic_cool:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, newmexicoNita said:

so you would so much into drinking in the hot tub and your pool experience that it would influence what line you cruise. I guess everyone has his/her own ideas on what makes a good cruise. 

Yes, everything else was about the same when I compare the 2 cruises.  I might even give RCCL a bit of a bump because their drink package included bottled water and specialty coffee and they offer unlimited WIFI. Price was just about even with paying for WIFI and the drink package on RCCL.  If I'm traveling with the kids I'll more than likely be staying in a suite, so I'll more than likely choose NCL, but my kids are quickly outgrowing trips with us (this makes me so sad....) and once they're gone we'll be making different cruise decisions. Itinerary will play a big factor in our future choices.