Warning Gross short review. Ecstasy poo cruise!

BoDidly

On 3/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, BoDidly said:

Diamond / Platinum party was like an in and out drive through with two cars in line, that quick.

Servers came around twice for drinks and twice with sushi trays then disappeared .

A guitar player played a few songs then a flash of the ships well you know the rest of that old fiddle playing tune.

Here's a thought revamp the party and bring in a comedian , tell a few jokes and liven the party up a bit .

We have seen the ships , no one even clapped for the video showing the ships. Get rid of it !

Who really gives a good jelly bean how many beans are jammed in that damn jar 🤣.

Or  Mr 400 sea days who has five hundred plaques to show for it  ??

Just me being me .

Maybe it’s because I haven’t been to a Carnival past guest party in almost a decade (when golds were still included and the party was held at the main theater with hundreds of people, where it was much more impersonal, and where waiters just walked around with 2 watered down drink selections ), but I really enjoyed the Diamond/Platinum party on the Fantasy!

Yes, it was fairly short (5:15-6:00pm) but I thought it was adequate. I really liked how much more personal it was to have an intimate group of people in a smaller lounge. I had a chance to chat with both the Cruise Director and the Captain, even if it was for a few minutes. The Captain was gracious enough to entertain my 9 year old son’s 20,000 questions about the ship with a genuine smile. 

About the entertainment, I think that having a guitarist set the proper tone for this kind of party. I respectfully don’t think I would’ve cared for a comedian. The video with all the ships was cool and I really liked it (once again, it has been almost a decade since I’d sailed on Carnival).

About drinks, they had servers taking drink orders, but they also had a table set up with plenty of liquor and beer (of good quality and variety including IPA’s). 

Maybe if I attended these parties more frequently I’d find the format dull and boring, but for someone like me returning to Carnival after so many years, it was a very positive, nice and enjoyable experience. 

PS. You had to deal with Mr. 400 days, but we had Mr. 926 days, with all of his pins on across his chest that made him look like a Boy Scout displaying all of his merit badges 😂.

Edited by Tapi

3 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Tapi states the obvious truth when it comes to the Fantasy class ships..

Thanks. The thing about it is that I actually think that these Fantasy class ships do have quite a bit of life left in them, (specially in their current role sailing shorter cruises from secondary ports), but only IF Carnival increases the budget required to avoid maintenance issues from piling up.  

That much was apparent when we sailed on the Fantasy post dry dock. They revamped the main pool deck, painted the smoke stack, installed new carpet, etc, but there were all these other issues that went completely unaddressed, like the budget and time allocated for the drydock wasn’t enough. 

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

Maybe it’s because I haven’t been to a Carnival past guest party in almost a decade (when golds were still included and the party was held at the main theater with hundreds of people, where it was much more impersonal, and where waiters just walked around with 2 watered down drink selections ), but I really enjoyed the Diamond/Platinum party on the Fantasy!

Yes, it was fairly short (5:15-6:00pm) but I thought it was adequate. I really liked how much more personal it was to have an intimate group of people in a smaller lounge. I had a chance to chat with both the Cruise Director and the Captain, even if it was for a few minutes. The Captain was gracious enough to entertain my 9 year old son’s 20,000 questions about the ship with a genuine smile. 

About the entertainment, I think that having a guitarist set the proper tone for this kind of party. I respectfully don’t think I would’ve cared for a comedian. The video with all the ships was cool and I really liked it (once again, it has been almost a decade since I’d sailed on Carnival).

About drinks, they had servers taking drink orders, but they also had a table set up with plenty of liquor and beer (of good quality and variety including IPA’s). 

Maybe if I attended these parties more frequently I’d find the format dull and boring, but for someone like me returning to Carnival after so many years, it was a very positive, nice and enjoyable experience. 

PS. You had to deal with Mr. 400 days, but we had Mr. 926 days, with all of his pins on across his chest that made him look like a Boy Scout displaying all of his merit badges 😂.

We missed the Diamond party as we politely declined the RSVP invitation placed under our door at 9 AM the morning of the party. The Diamond party was taking place on the first sea day at 11 that very same morning. Just not enough time to grab breakfast or grab a shower to attend..

I still feel there needs to be a revamping of the Diamond / Platinum party.  We attend most of these as we are always meeting up with past cruisers / friends. Perhaps the reason why I find them boring, CD ,JENN calling the ships out as fast as the screen could show them and the gasping for air afterword's just doesn't thrill me to no ends 🤣.

Perhaps some people like it . Maybe have the guy that won all the jelly beans toss a few in the air and have people try to catch them in their mouths 🙂 .I know it's not feasible but I actually feel the party was better the old way where every person could enjoy it.   . I mean lets get real asking the Diamond members to stand and then the Platinum members to stand is a little far sighted when that's all that's in the party . .   Most of us know that the naming of the ships and the number of jelly beans in the jar are just randomly picked from box anyways. 

Who knows perhaps  D and P people will just stop attending all together and the parties will cease due to a lack of participation ?

23 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Most of us know that the naming of the ships and the number of jelly beans in the jar are just randomly picked from box anyways. 

My 6yo daughter “won” the award for most ship names correct. She was so proud of herself even though I gave her all the answers. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

My 6yo daughter “won” the award for most ship names correct. She was so proud of herself even though I gave her all the answers. 😂

Now that's something I could enjoy watching 🤣 My Grandson got picked once too , the thrill on his face was a sight to behold.  

I'm real close to Mr. 400 Sea days anyways, I'll  pass him yet,😈 or will he be Mr. 500 Sea days by then 😡.

🤪 Enjoy !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, indygirl76 said:

"Thrilled" to see this review, as I just booked a November cruise on the ship. [trombone] Hopefully the dry dock scheduled for October will fix whatever is causing the problem??

Thank You , I hope the dry dock repairs all the problems she is having to.  It's a shame to see paying customers put through such.

Thank you for the review.

DH and I sailed on Fantasy 18 Feb with Tapi. DH was “Mr. 926.” He and I never wear our ship pins or even our cards. Check your picture from the party. We give our plaques away at the party. Plenty of drinks and fun; hoping the PD parties continue.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

Thank you for the review.

DH and I sailed on Fantasy 18 Feb with Tapi. DH was “Mr. 926.” He and I never wear our ship pins or even our cards. Check your picture from the party. We give our plaques away at the party. Plenty of drinks and fun; hoping the PD parties continue.

Lol, I thought Mr 926 was the guy with all the pins that was seated closest to the stage towards the left. He had pins on his hat and shirt. He’s not even on the photo. My apologies and I stand corrected! 😂

Edited by Tapi
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

He and I never wear our ship pins -or even our cards.

I have a Carnival pin in my blazer's lapel -on Elegant Night

and one or two more in a cap I wear, including a Titanic pin.

I was on that cruise, you know ... didn't turn out so well.
Halifax NS was our alternative port!

MOSTunusual.jpg

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

. Thank you for the review.

Love it, but I ain't getting in the middle of this one 🤣. Never wear any pins either or a show of the card. 

Even have a hat in a curio ( along with all the ship models ) That hat weighs a ton with those pins on it . One reason I have never worn it or even wanted to .  I have met your husband I think when he was Mr. 919 🤣.

Love the new avatar !

Edited by BoDidly

On 3/3/2019 at 6:39 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I actually gave a really good idea to some senior managers at Carnival on what they should do with the Fantasy class, but they were just mildly interested.....

Well you have me curious as to what your suggestion was ?  Senior managers ? Will you elaborate ?

Edited by BoDidly

4 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Well you have me curious as to what your suggestion was ?  Senior managers ? Will you elaborate ?

It was at the VP level.  My suggestion was to take the Fantasy class ships one at a time and overhaul them and reenter them into the market as Carnival Classic a more up scale version of the Carnival product, sailing to unique ports of calls offering the level of service at higher level then their clients currently have, doing them one at a time.  Along the lines of what Azamara provides on some older HAL ships.  Short view...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It was at the VP level.  My suggestion was to take the Fantasy class ships one at a time and overhaul them and reenter them into the market as Carnival Classic a more up scale version of the Carnival product, sailing to unique ports of calls offering the level of service at higher level then their clients currently have, doing them one at a time.  Along the lines of what Azamara provides on some older HAL ships.  Short view...

Well that definitely has merit and a worthy suggestion.  I certainly hope they consider it. I would love to see it !

When the sold Celebration (  Our wedding ship )  the new owners at the time stripped that ship and made some rooms larger. Those rooms were outstanding . She looked fantastic at the time.

Edited by BoDidly

Just now, BoDidly said:

Well that definitely has merit and a worthy suggestion.  I certainly hope they consider it. I would love to see it !

When the sold Celebration (  Our wedding ship )  the new owners at the time stripped that ship and made the rooms larger. Those rooms were outstanding . She looked fantastic at the time.

Agree, when I saw her and the Holiday after a redo, it was the genesis of the idea.  It is a stretch and def conceptual change, but I thought the timing was right.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree, when I saw her and the Holiday after a redo, it was the genesis of the idea.  It is a stretch and def conceptual change, but I thought the timing was right.  

Now if we could just get them to proceed with it :classic_wink: Sure hate to see the Fantasy class being ignored while the mega ship are becoming Carnivals future babies .

On 3/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, MrFunInTheSun said:

He's sailed on her and loved her in the past, why would he pass her up now, even if she is 28 years old.

Though I do agree, its almost time for them to be totally revamped, poor girls are getting tired.

Not sure he said he didn't like Carnival, I'm not seeing that in his review. He's just stating his observations from a seasoned cruisers viewpoint from some of his past great cruises he's had on this ship.

My first cruise ever was with Carnival Ecstasy back in 2000 for a three night cruise out of Miami. So she always has a special place in my heart, even with it being only a three night cruise which got me into this cruise addiction thing. 🙂

That said I went on many cruises on many ships and ventured past Carnival after a being very loyal to Carnival then a brief transition to Royal. These Fantasy class ships are amazing and surely easy to get around, but this doesn't mean they don't need some new loving.

My last cruise with Carnival was back in 2012 on Carnival Ecstasy for a five night cruise. Kind of nostalgic with my last Carnival cruise going back on the ship where my cruising adventures began. I did a "Live" trip report from that time period.

Will say, even back in 2012 when walking up on the upper decks and going between certain floors there was always that "Poop" smell. Can't imagine how it is now seven years later. I remember standing up on the upper deck in certain areas and the stench was so strong it made your eyes water. However that "poop" smell certainly isn't exclusive to Carnival as I've observed that smell on a Royal Caribbean ship too, mostly the older girls though.

Hopefully they have some plans for these ships, they must be bringing in some cash to not retire them, though not enough to totally revamp them. A few weeks ago I was on the Symphony of the Seas and whilst we were docked in Cozumel, Carnival Triumph sailed in. Know she is now going for her revamp to become Carnival Sunrise, but boy did she look like they have stopped any upkeep on that ship from a distance. Poor girl, hope she comes back better and perkier than ever. 

CA9BA819-09C5-454B-BD95-DBDE1169E9F3_zps

516AFB1E-B342-480E-AF70-96C5EC3AFFCD_zps

Looking forward to sailing on Carnival Mardi Gras in 2021!

Carnival Triumph, the official poo ship

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Jimbo, I’m going to give it to you straight, you’re one of the strangest people on here to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person in the real world with such brand loyalty and you often make me chuckle. 

All that said, this is the best idea for improvement for Carnival or cruising in 2019 that I’ve heard. I hope someone takes notice. We’ve done all of the mass market lines but are doing Viking for our next cruises. We’re so disenchanted with CCL after feeling that way about RCL and the others for a slightly longer time and want the more classic experience. The smallers ships do seem slightly better in providing that on the mass market lines but unfortunately those ships tend to be in worse repair than the new ones.

I just hope viking cruises are as nice as the  people/stafff we meet on CCL

16 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Well that definitely has merit and a worthy suggestion. 

I agree! What a great idea. 

Ships do reach the point where they're more expensive to maintain than a 'new build' would cost - I don't know where that number is for the Fantasy Class, but like most of us old platinums, I like the smaller, more intimate feel. From my conversations with the crews over the years, they generally prefer working Fantasy Class ships to the newer ones as well. 

It already does seem as though many of the "Journeys" cruises are doing that - they just haven't gone completely into it yet - maybe the economics don't work good enough to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

I agree! What a great idea. 

Ships do reach the point where they're more expensive to maintain than a 'new build' would cost - I don't know where that number is for the Fantasy Class, but like most of us old platinums, I like the smaller, more intimate feel. From my conversations with the crews over the years, they generally prefer working Fantasy Class ships to the newer ones as well. 

It already does seem as though many of the "Journeys" cruises are doing that - they just haven't gone completely into it yet - maybe the economics don't work good enough to do that.

Thank 's for bringing this. Like yourself I have had an absolute blast on the Fantasy class ships.  But I agree the cost will exceed the value to repair them properly.   This last venture shows that Carnival has definitely placed them on the back burner.  Rip Fantasy class . 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I agree with this suggestion and would go further to combine cabins so they are all double size with 2 bathrooms and a separate bedroom and living room. Half as many passengers and the ships would no longer feel crowded and there would be less wear and tear on the infrastructure.  Maintenance would be easier to manage. 

Clearly Fantasy class as it currently stands (sails) seems to be getting to the end of its run. A few of the ships have gotten the extra deck with better, additional cabins, but that would just support the model even better.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:56 PM, lottiegreen56 said:

Jimbo, I’m going to give it to you straight, you’re one of the strangest people on here to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person in the real world with such brand loyalty and you often make me chuckle. 

All that said, this is the best idea for improvement for Carnival or cruising in 2019 that I’ve heard. I hope someone takes notice. We’ve done all of the mass market lines but are doing Viking for our next cruises. We’re so disenchanted with CCL after feeling that way about RCL and the others for a slightly longer time and want the more classic experience. The smallers ships do seem slightly better in providing that on the mass market lines but unfortunately those ships tend to be in worse repair than the new ones.

I just hope viking cruises are as nice as the  people/stafff we meet on CCL

I really enjoy cruise critic.  Some take it a bit too seriously.  I think of myself as a knowledgable supporter of the product.  What they offer as the value proposition is a good product at  good price, and their best asset are their people which are the best we have seen across the industry. Hopefully I add to the equation here as opposed to being negative, glad I can make you chuckle.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, KmomChicago said:

Clearly Fantasy class as it currently stands (sails) seems to be getting to the end of its run. A few of the ships have gotten the extra deck with better, additional cabins, but that would just support the model even better.

You bring a valuable point into the discussion .  Carnival should heed Jimbo's ideas along with the other suggestions here..

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:22 AM, teknoge3k said:

Was your comedian Kelly Terranova? That's the only comedian I can think of with a 'nova' name on Carnival. He's pretty funny I think. 

I've had him on a couple of cruises and like him....Bo is right he does the same shows for years.... but all of them do that. My favorites are the ones that do improv so every show is different....even the repeats.

Edited by Saint Greg