RC May Hawaii cruise last minute changes by RC

Dear Guest,

We have an important update to share with you for your upcomingOvation of the Seas cruise on May 2nd, 2019.

A few weeks ago, we advised that the U.S. Coast Guard will be conducting two mandatory inspections during your cruise. Among the tests and drills taking place, a transitional power test will occur where most of the ship’s electricity will need to be turned off. This test is scheduled to take place on May 2nd from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM and as a result, check-in will now take place between 2:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To help make up for this change, we’re adding a $30 USD credit per person to your onboard account to offset any costs incurred; whether it’s for snacks, a cold beverage, or lunch. This credit will be added to your onboard account, and if you don’t use it, it’ll be refunded to your credit card on file.

Now that you have extra time in Honolulu, we’ve secured some shuttles to take you to Ala Moana Center, and to one of the most famous beaches in the world, Waikiki Beach! Below, please find the details, plus information about luggage storage.

Ala Moana Center: Ala Moana Center is the largest shopping mall in all of Hawaii. While in this shopping oasis, you’ll find over 350 retailers, including 103 dining options, 7 department stores, plus many more luxury brand stores. We hope you enjoy it! Shuttles will run every 15-20 minutes from 9:15 AM to 2:00 PM.

Waikiki Beach: While there, you can enjoy a plethora of water activities and delicious local dishes. Whether you’re looking forward to surfing, snorkeling, paddle boarding, or getting an awesome tan, it’s easy to have a good time here. There are also many restaurants and shops along the beach. So, shop until you drop. Then, enjoy a delicious lunch afterwards. Waikiki has an elaborate selection of activities for any adventurer! Shuttles will run every 15-20 minutes from 9:15 AM to 2:00 PM.

Luggage Information: Luggage collection will be available in the terminal from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Be sure to attach your luggage tags to your bags before dropping them off. Then once you finish exploring Honolulu, collect your bags by 3:00 PM to check-in for your cruise.

Additionally, below is what you can expect regarding the U.S. Coast Guard inspections during our cruise.

• Inspections are mostly taking place in behind-the-scenes areas like, our engine room, launching stations, galley, and the muster assembly stations.
  • All our lifesaving equipment, emergency alarms, steering gear, and water tight doors, will be tested.
  • And at some point, a crew drill will be held to ensure our operations are compliant with the U.S. Coast Guard’s standards.

So, no need to be alarmed if you notice men and women in uniforms. They’ll be on, off, and around the ship doing their thing!

8 minutes ago, Crism said:

Ala Moana Center is just a big mall...hit up Duke's on Waikiki!!!

We rented a car for that day and didn't plan to check in till around dinner time - no plans to get near the ship any earlier with this delay.

Waikiki is worth a few hours or a day.  

I am just wondering in my mind.... why does the government think that the ship is so poorly built and ran that they are doing this torturous thing.

O wait.  It is the government.   Which means SNAFU....

jc

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

This cruise is getting cheaper by the month.

Biker, who is liking this new version of RCI with useful and timely communications.

Still not as cheap as Explorer was, and she didnt need extra inspection.  

Agree with props for communication.  We are getting emails from C&A about overflow lounges on Serenade 

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Still not as cheap as Explorer was, and she didnt need extra inspection.  

Agree with props for communication.  We are getting emails from C&A about overflow lounges on Serenade 

The d lounge uses the viking crown lounge.  Is there overflow for the c lounge?  Any other news as we got off her about 6 weeks ago.

6 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Waikiki is worth a few hours or a day.  

I am just wondering in my mind.... why does the government think that the ship is so poorly built and ran that they are doing this torturous thing.

O wait.  It is the government.   Which means SNAFU....

jc

Well, just look at the Carnival Splendor, where the officers did not know how to activate the CO2 fire extinguishing system, or the Carnival Triumph and the Costa Concordia where the emergency generators had difficulty in coming on line automatically, or staying online to provide emergency power (showing that they were not being tested on a routine basis, as required).  Now, the Splendor and the Triumph had been operating from the US for several years at the time of their incidents, but the initial "certificate of compliance" inspections show a baseline of safety training, and maintenance.  What they are doing in a certificate of compliance inspection is no more than what a US flag ship goes through in an annual inspection for their USCG certificate, except that the cruise ship, being foreign flag, is only held to international regulations, not the USCG's stricter regulations for US flag vessels.  And, the foreign flag ship only needs to do this once, not every year.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

We haven't set foot on an RCI vessel as yet but am already gaining a dislike for the company!

We are booked on 2 upcoming RCI cruises,one is this October on Quantum on a repo cruise from China to Singapore,we booked this almost a year ago,a couple of months after we were told that the stops in Vietnam were being reduced from 3 to 2,to make it more relaxing for us,since then times of various port visits have changed also but worse than that IMO is our second cruise in April 2020 on Anthem,a repo cruise from New York to the UK involving calls at Halifax,Ponta Delgarda,Cobh & Le Havre,not long after booking we were told that Halifax was being dropped 'as the Atlantic can be rough in Winter',OK so who says April is Winter & can't all open waters be rough at any time,such a stupid(IMO) excuse for changing the itinerary is so annoying,along with RCI wanting £150 for us to change to another cruise(we visited Ponta Delgarda on a cruise recently & can & have visited Ireland & France easily from here in the UK),it certainly gives me the impression that RCI make it up as they go along & that you can't be sure that where you book for is where you will end up going!

Edited by snaefell
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, frank808 said:

The d lounge uses the viking crown lounge.  Is there overflow for the c lounge?  Any other news as we got off her about 6 weeks ago.

They are going to overflow in Safari. Keep VCL open for non Diamond. D+ welcome in CL. CL should be packed

Only downside to the overflow down on 6 means you have to plan where you are going, vs leaving the lounge and going into VCL

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There are a few cabins left but the flights are probably not cheap.

I looked a few days ago, and there were literally just a few cabins available.  Didn't check airfare as I was only toying with the idea.  Would have been nice to ride on the wave with you Biker.

OP, if I were you, I'd kindly accept their gracious offer and move on because....they have the right to change itineraries. Good example is the "periodic" port visit change from Cannes to Toulon, but they refund you on excursions. You can practically hear people moaning onboard when it happens.

6 hours ago, snaefell said:

We haven't set foot on an RCI vessel as yet but am already gaining a dislike for the company!

We are booked on 2 upcoming RCI cruises,one is this October on Quantum on a repo cruise from China to Singapore,we booked this almost a year ago,a couple of months after we were told that the stops in Vietnam were being reduced from 3 to 2,to make it more relaxing for us,since then times of various port visits have changed also but worse than that IMO is our second cruise in April 2020 on Anthem,a repo cruise from New York to the UK involving calls at Halifax,Ponta Delgarda,Cobh & Le Havre,not long after booking we were told that Halifax was being dropped 'as the Atlantic can be rough in Winter',OK so who says April is Winter & can't all open waters be rough at any time,such a stupid(IMO) excuse for changing the itinerary is so annoying,along with RCI wanting £150 for us to change to another cruise(we visited Ponta Delgarda on a cruise recently & can & have visited Ireland & France easily from here in the UK),it certainly gives me the impression that RCI make it up as they go along & that you can't be sure that where you book for is where you will end up going!

I am on the April 2020 Anthem transatlantic as well.  I too am disappointed about losing Halifax as a port, but, as I recall, the Titanic did sink in the month of April.  In fact, our cruise coincides with the anniversary of the sinking, though we are on the reverse itinerary.  Their weather was pretty crappy on 4/15/1912 (remember how cold it was for Rose and Jack when there wasn't enough room for both of them to float on that door out in the open water? 😉), so I'm not ready to call RCI a liar when they say the Atlantic can be rough at that time of year, or at least filled with icebergs. 

We have plenty of time to cancel the April 2020 if we want to, so RCI didn't hold onto that itinerary change until after final payment date.  And, in listening to our greatly respected resident chief engineer, there's no evidence that RCI made a calculated and sinister move by waiting to change this Hawaii itinerary until after final payment date.

Ship happens.  And the more we all sail, the more we are bound to experience ship happening.  Remember when the Grandeur had a fire?  My cruise was canceled.  But I'm still sailing and still rolling with the punches.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, just look at the Carnival Splendor, where the officers did not know how to activate the CO2 fire extinguishing system, or the Carnival Triumph and the Costa Concordia where the emergency generators had difficulty in coming on line automatically, or staying online to provide emergency power (showing that they were not being tested on a routine basis, as required).  Now, the Splendor and the Triumph had been operating from the US for several years at the time of their incidents, but the initial "certificate of compliance" inspections show a baseline of safety training, and maintenance.  What they are doing in a certificate of compliance inspection is no more than what a US flag ship goes through in an annual inspection for their USCG certificate, except that the cruise ship, being foreign flag, is only held to international regulations, not the USCG's stricter regulations for US flag vessels.  And, the foreign flag ship only needs to do this once, not every year.

Don't even get us navy guys started on OPPE fails.....LOL. The whole crew suffers. Navy ships too have fails. Sad but true.

On 3/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, pattyg01 said:

Yes, I did read all the replies but I am basing my response on what RC told me. They mentioned none of what you are speculating. They said they didn't know which day. They said it over and over again. All I am saying is that we should be willing to continue to look into this. Nothing wrong with that idea. 

I was thinking maybe you could get the exact date that RCCL was notified by the USCG via the FOIA? 

You can submit a request online AFAIK.

Just to settle your mind as to whether you are being lied to or not.....

15 hours ago, KelJ said:

I'm not ready to call RCI a liar when they say the Atlantic can be rough at that time of year, or at least filled with icebergs. 

We have plenty of time to cancel the April 2020 if we want to, so RCI didn't hold onto that itinerary change until after final payment date. 

As I say in my post all open seas can be rough at any time of year(note Anthem Of The Seas' encounter with a hurricane in July 2016),we did a Transatlantic repo in March last year,happily with pretty decent weather,& yes well aware of the timing of the sailing re-the Titanic,my first thoughts were that RCI had been beaten to berthing spaces as Halifax would be busy because of the anniversary(I know that the Titanic Experience in Belfast gets very busy),I now believe that to be not the case.

As for cancelling the cruise ,again as I mentioned in my post,RCI want £150 to change to another cruise,cancelling would mean losing a considerable amount of money as the deposit is non-refundable.

We are not great cruise lovers,so far have done 3 & a bit before these 2 RCI cruises,they just happen to appeal to us,at least in their origional form,will there be any more,if the offer is right but I still would consider it a possibility that if I booked a Med cruise we could end up with a tour of the Irish Sea instead!

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard Ovation of the Seas for its transition sailing from Honolulu, Hawaii to Vancouver, British Columbia.

As you may know, this sailing is quite popular among our Crown and Anchor Society and as a result, our staff is making enhancements to accommodate you.

During your cruise, the Nightly Happy Hour will expand to include both the Diamond Club and the Music Hall on deck 3 & 4. As always, 3 drink vouchers will be loaded on your account for you to use at the bars and lounges throughout the ship during happy hour.

DIAMOND CLUB & MUSIC HALL

CONCIERGE LOUNGE

Deck 3 & 4

Deck 12

Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club

Pinnacle Club and Suites

Additionally, we understand with more top tier guests than usual, the rush for morning coffee can become hectic. To alleviate some of the wait, we are loading one specialty non- alcoholic coffee voucher per day onto your SeaPass card. This can be used in the Main Dining Room, La Patisserie, Café Two70°, Solarium Bistro, and the Windjammer. Once onboard, please check your Welcome Letter or with your Concierge for additional information.

We’re happy you’re joining us for these special sailings and we hope your time with us is nothing short of spectacular!

Thank you for being Loyal to Royal, we appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely,

Your Crown & Anchor Society Team.

5 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

"To alleviate some of the wait, we are loading one specialty non- alcoholic coffee voucher per day onto your SeaPass card."  So, can you substitute the coffee for Premium Tea?  

Should not be a problem.