Liquor prices

moeferg

If you buy it in the gift shops, they are nice enough to hold it for you until the cruise ends.  Those prices tend to be pretty good; on my last Carnival cruise, if you found it cheaper in port (just snap a picture), they would refund the difference.

If you buy it through the Funshops for in-room consumption, the prices are astronomical.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moeferg said:

I meant for the room. I saw prices on from the Funshops and they seemed really high

They are.  After a couple or three bottles, you're much better off just buying Cheers.

22 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

They are.  After a couple or three bottles, you're much better off just buying Cheers.

A 1 liter bottle will average about $100-$120. Let's say for 3 bottles, you're paying $360. A decent pour is 1.5 ounces of alcohol (I'm not convinced you're getting that from the bars). This would leave you with roughly 66 drinks from these bottles for $360. 

Alternatively, for $360, that would cover 2 people for 3 days on Cheers. The average couple is not drinking 66 alcoholic drinks in 3 days. They just aren't. So your claim that you are "much better off" buying Cheers, is based off of what?

Different options work for different people. If you want to try every type of drink on the ship, Cheers might be better for you. If you're more of a "rum and coke" kind of person, the bottles are a great value. 

38 minutes ago, moeferg said:

I meant for the room. I saw prices on from the Funshops and they seemed really high

You just need to think of the context. A one liter bottle (most of the funshop bottles are one liter) has about 22 shots. If you buy an $80 bottle, that equates to about $3.75 per one shot cocktail. Yes, obviously they arent the same price as at your local grocery store, but you will be hard pressed to find 3.75 cocktails anywhere else on board :-)

3 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

You just need to think of the context. A one liter bottle (most of the funshop bottles are one liter) has about 22 shots. If you buy an $80 bottle, that equates to about $3.75 per one shot cocktail. Yes, obviously they arent the same price as at your local grocery store, but you will be hard pressed to find 3.75 cocktails anywhere else on board :-)

You have to have a mixer, too, so you either have to buy that from the Funshops or go to a bar and buy a regular Coke.  And you are limiting yourself to basically one drink the entire cruise -- say Jack and Coke, or vodka and Sprite.  If you are ok with that, and having to go back to your cabin every time you need a refill, maybe buying from the Funshops works for you.  I don't want to make that trek and I don't want to be limited, so Cheers works out much better for me.

• Like 1

I'm not sure exactly what price information you are asking for... So I'll just throw this out there... Bottles ordered in advance from Funshops are $80-100ish and can only be consumed in your cabin.😉   Bottles purchased on board in the shops are near or at market price you would pay at home, However you can NOT use on the ship, and will be held for you to carry off the ship at end of cruise. If you are asking about bar drinks, they average $8-13.

19 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

You have to have a mixer, too, so you either have to buy that from the Funshops or go to a bar and buy a regular Coke.  And you are limiting yourself to basically one drink the entire cruise -- say Jack and Coke, or vodka and Sprite.  If you are ok with that, and having to go back to your cabin every time you need a refill, maybe buying from the Funshops works for you.  I don't want to make that trek and I don't want to be limited, so Cheers works out much better for me.

I drink whiskey, and sometimes whiskey soda (bring a 12 pack) so mixer is not an issue. Get yourself a Bubba Mug, wont have to refill that bad boy very often. 

24 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Yes, you will have to get a mixer (if you want one). You're allowed to bring a 12 pack of cans, which don't forget you can mix and match. I agree the same drink can get old for the entire cruise. However, if you're drinking enough that would justify Cheers, you will probably go through that one bottle quickly, and could have a variety. I can also understand not wanting to go to the room each time. No option works for everyone. Cheers does sound like a good option for you.

For me, a rum and coke or bourbon and coke is generally 75%ish of my drink choice. I actually prefer Coca Cola Life which is a lower-sugar option with cane sugar in it. Much much better than fountain Coke in my opinion. I am already in my cabin at the start of the day, after port/before dinner, and usually one more stop in there after dinner/before the nightlife. Since I am already there, there's no extra trips. I like to make myself a very strong mixed drink that will last for a while. I find none of this to be inconvenient. In fact, I find it far more inconvenient to run to a bar or find a waiter every time I finish the very small, sugary, and ice-filled drinks I get from the bars. Try getting a waiter to bring you a second drink in a timely matter at Punchliner.

Then, if I'm feeling something different, I'll generally head to Alchemy for a little treat. It's likely an old fashioned 🙂

If ou buy it onshore you are supposed to take it up on your boarding. Does not seem that they are really trying hard to stop it from coming back on with it. My roommate on last cruise on Glory last month walked on with a box carrying six bottles from Capt Morgan. Walked on and down the hall with all six bottles. He was not even trying to smuggle it on. Really was funny when i got to the room and he had it there.

2 hours ago, mdsgu said:

We buy a bottle of vodka for the room.  I like to mix it with orange juice from breakfast and soft serve. I'll put that in my Yeti and drink on that all day. I'm ok with just that during the day.  Evenings, you'll find us at Alchemy.

Edited by Butterbean1000

Just got off of the Freedom yesterday.

I paid $80 to have a 1 liter bottle of Kahlua delivered to my room.  Of course we didn't get it until after dinner on the 2nd day of the cruise!  Grabbed a few boxes of 2% milk from the buffet each morning.  With the nice goblets in our cabin, I made myself a tasty Kahlua & Cream (yeah it was milk!) each day.  Figured that was cheaper than paying $8 to $10 from the bar for a smaller drink.

Of course, if you want to buy that same bottle on the ship to take it home, they only cost $15.00 each!  No clue on any other booze because I never buy it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Just got off of the Freedom yesterday.

I paid $80 to have a 1 liter bottle of Kahlua delivered to my room.  Of course we didn't get it until after dinner on the 2nd day of the cruise!  Grabbed a few boxes of 2% milk from the buffet each morning.  With the nice goblets in our cabin, I made myself a tasty Kahlua & Cream (yeah it was milk!) each day.  Figured that was cheaper than paying $8 to $10 from the bar for a smaller drink.

Of course, if you want to buy that same bottle on the ship to take it home, they only cost $15.00 each!  No clue on any other booze because I never buy it.

You forgot to mention the $15.00 delivery fee and taxes with the bottle ..try close to $100.00... Right??

Mike

For our next B2B on the Panorama, I'll get a bottle of gin with the tonic water and my cruise buddy will get a bottle of vodka to mix with whatever he wants on Lido.  Then with our $400 OBC ($200 each cruise) we're set for two weeks of cruising.  (We get the bottles delivered on the first sea day so that we don't have to pay the tax.)

8 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

You forgot to mention the $15.00 delivery fee and taxes with the bottle ..try close to $100.00... Right??

Mike

$2.88 per shot of Kahlua from having a bottle or $6.78 per shot from the bar (price + tax) 

Not sure why so many people think the bottle is the most expensive thing in the world, and Cheers is basically free.