Antigua Discontinued by Carnival..Will Celebrity Do the Same?

Luvcrusn

I saw a news article that Carnival ships are discontinuing visits to Antigua and replacing the port with Nevis. Has anyone heard of other cruise lines (especially X) following suit. DH and I aren't fond of Antigua because of the aggressive non-stop tour guides/taxi drivers there who don't take no for an answer, and who keep hounding visitors even if they just walk by with no eye contact.  Antigua is also a port that's regularly listed as top ten most dangerous. Just curious if anyone out there has heard/read anything.

40 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I saw a news article that Carnival ships are discontinuing visits to Antigua and replacing the port with Nevis. Has anyone heard of other cruise lines (especially X) following suit. DH and I aren't fond of Antigua because of the aggressive non-stop tour guides/taxi drivers there who don't take no for an answer, and who keep hounding visitors even if they just walk by with no eye contact.  Antigua is also a port that's regularly listed as top ten most dangerous. Just curious if anyone out there has heard/read anything.

• Reps for the cruise line told Fox News that the decision was made as Antiguan government officials have expressed that they “don’t want cruise lines and our guests to visit,” so for the time being the cruise line has decided to focus "on destinations that are more welcoming.”
  • Translated:  Antiqua raised the port fees. "Antigua is in the process of closing a multimillion dollar agreement with Global Ports Holding of London, which touts itself as “the world's largest cruise port operator.”  Ya know that arrangement is going to cost more than managing the port themselves.
  • "According to the State Department's latest travel advisory update for Antigua and Barbuda, there is currently no outstanding cautionary warning for those islands. Travelers are advised to "exercise normal precautions" when visiting."  TOP TEN DANGEROUS?  Hell, that would knock out nine other ports before the cruise ships would stop sailing to Antiqua.

Italicized quotes from here, and cross checked with other sources. https://www.foxnews.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-will-no-longer-sail-to-antigua

Edited by jkgourmet

We also have had good times in Antigua and did not have either taxi drivers or others chasing after us. Always had either great excursions we arranged or just laid back walking near the port.

Hope other lines do not follow and stop using this lovely port.

Agree Nevis does not sound right with St. Kitts so close by.

• Like 1

Last Feb had to disembark early in Antigua and fly home due to death in family.  Locals were very helpful and compassionate and treated us well.

As far as being dangerous, have to say cab drive to airport was truly scary.  Cabbie drove us across island at blazing speed down very narrow roads with deep culverts on either side.  Got us to plane in record time though.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

Based upon what I've read, and combined with the additional fact that I've not seen some alarming news article about any specific crime against tourists in Antigua recently, I'd guess the current dispute is one over either increase port expenses (that Carnival sees as unfair to it's business model) or over some improvements that the Antiguan government expects cruise lines will fund.  Obviously this is only my speculative conjecture based on scarce information.

Seems like posturing to me.  

I saw one article claiming the port expansion will allow Oasis class ships for Royal.  Maybe Carnival has been lobbying to prevent that and this is the reaction.  

A couple of cruise lines got together and bid on Nassau's port expansion but lost to Global Ports Holding.   Maybe there are some politics going on.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, justcrusn said:

Port fees should NOT be the basis of the decision.

After all WE pay them, not Carnival. 

It does sound like Carnival is not feeling very wanted though, whatever the reason or motive.

That is totally inaccurate.  You pay your passenger fee / tax for each port, the cruise line pays (sometimes massive) docking fees, fees for tug boats, fees for linesmen, fee for shoreside services - the list is endless.  (Yes - technically you pay these fees too via your overall cruise fare, but I bet Carnival isn’t willing to raise that for competitive reasons.) 

• Like 1

I hope Celebrity doesn't follow suit! Antigua is one of our favourite ports and we are always excited to book an itinerary with a stop there. Have been 3 or 4 times and never found the people to be anything but friendly and welcoming, and have never felt unsafe. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, GoodScout said:

Sounds like the usual haggling over port fees. Only this time the Prime Minister made the mistake of going public with it. So now Carnival is "splaining" to him that he needs them more than they need him. 

This PM should be fired for biting off the hand that feeds him and his country.