Adjoining cabins not wanted

cheshire

We are sailing in the Infinity late May with our daughter and her partner.  We informed our travel agent we didn’t want adjoining cabins as our daughter said she wouldn’t want me waking them up poking my head around the balcony and as we are together for 14 days we all need space. The confirmation arrived some months ago and we stated make sure no adjoining cabins!! As we had said when booking we didn’t want adjacent ones. He said he would get celebrity to change it.  Thought no more of it until now.

Just about to pay the final balance and we still have adjoining cabins.   Complained to our agent who says nothing he can do as if we change the cabin Celebrity will now charge the latest fare which at the moment appears to be higher. 

Thoughts how we can resolve this. 

I don’t know how the cruise industry works in England.   I am in the US and had my TA change my cabin a few times in the same category if available and it doesn’t cost me anything.   I changed when cabins in more desirable locations became available.   I tried one TA and learned that they charged $50 per any change.   I used them once.  

You are making a wise decision on not wanting adjoining cabins.  We did it a few times with friends and found it to be rather uncomfortable and awkward.   We really couldn’t enjoy the balcony like we were accustomed to.  Or have the percieved privacy with them next to us as the walls may have ears.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

Forgive me if I don’t understand adjoing rooms. As far as I know you would have to unlock door between you if you wanted access and as to balcony they can leave the divider in place. Many cabins on the ship can be connecting rooms but not all people  are related or know each other so the rooms are like any other.

36 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Forgive me if I don’t understand adjoing rooms. As far as I know you would have to unlock door between you if you wanted access and as to balcony they can leave the divider in place. Many cabins on the ship can be connecting rooms but not all people  are related or know each other so the rooms are like any other.

You can stuck your head around the divider.  The door doesn't have to be open.

2 minutes ago, Tucker in Texas said:

You can stuck your head around the divider.  The door doesn't have to be open.

I’m aware of that but you can do that in any room even if it is not connected, at least on all the Celebrity S class ships I’ve been on.

When we travel with friends or family, we get SR’s on opposite sides of the ship. That way, someone will have a great view while in port. I fully understand why you don’t want adjorning SRs, not needed except if you have little ones spread around. Ships just aren’t that big, at least on this Line.

I love cruising with family because we can set up times to meet up, and have times to do as we wish. All will find what they love to do and no one has to be the organizer, finding a suitable hotel/restaurant/entertainment/etc. 

I can’t believe the TA didn’t take care of this upfront and isplaying this ‘cant do it’. Sounds very fishy. 

Den

• Thanks 1

Infinity is an M class ship and the balcony dividers do not open on all M class ships.  As someone above said...."Don't poke your head around" 

When you say "adjoining" do you mean:

a. Next to each other or

b. connecting - with a door inside the room between the two rooms?

if you do have connecting rooms, ask that the door between the 2 be kept locked.  ...But noise can travel more easily because of that door, even when locked.

9 hours ago, realnice46 said:

I think the issue is that they DO know each other, and that may lead to some challenges.

If my neighbor doesn’t know me, but overheard something about cousin Becky they don’t care, someone related might care. Also you would NEVER peek around the balcony divider with a stranger but might if you felt it was family, which could be embarrassing..

To the OP:

Because you used a TA that’s who has to resolve this.

Step 1 - look online and see what cabins are available in the SAME CATEGORY.

Step 2. request a change to the one you like best.

Then wait for a response. In the U.S. there would NOT be a charge for changing cabins as long as they are the same category. ie: swap a 2B for a 2B

The rules are different in the u.k. though, so good luck and enjoy your cruise however it works out.

9 hours ago, cheshire said:

We are sailing in the Infinity late May with our daughter and her partner.  We informed our travel agent we didn’t want adjoining cabins as our daughter said she wouldn’t want me waking them up poking my head around the balcony and as we are together for 14 days we all need space. The confirmation arrived some months ago and we stated make sure no adjoining cabins!! As we had said when booking we didn’t want adjacent ones. He said he would get celebrity to change it.  Thought no more of it until now.

Just about to pay the final balance and we still have adjoining cabins.   Complained to our agent who says nothing he can do as if we change the cabin Celebrity will now charge the latest fare which at the moment appears to be higher. 

Booking conditions in the U.K. are different than the US.

If you had booked directly with Celebrity you would not pay any increase in the room price but you would pay £75 each (for the two of you moving cabin) for a change to your booking. This cost applies if the change is to your room or you change the full cruise. If you are Elite or above you are allowed one free change to your booking.

As you did not actually choose your individual rooms on booking I assume your travel agent had a block booking of rooms of a specific category which they have now sold. These rooms were probably at a rate which was cheaper than direct with Celebrity. If they were now to move you to an available room outside their blocked booking then they would have to pay the higher price and want to pass on that cost to you. 

If I were you I would ask how much they would charge you to move. Do you have your request in writing? Or of even more value an email from them saying they would arrange separated rooms for you? If you do then they may have some legal responsibility to pay the cost of you changing rooms.

However, especially if your request was only verbal and you feel morally your TA has let you down they may not have a legal responsibility to meet your request. Just like when you visit an hotel and ‘request’ a high floor the hotel makes no guarantee you will get one. Your TA could argue that your rooms apart ‘request’ could not be made and they have fulfilled their obligation by providing a room in the category you chose.

If your TA refuses to help try telephoning Celebrity yourselves, nothing to loose and not the correct procedure but they may be able to liaise with your TA if they have rooms in the same category still available. 

Yes, if the stipulation of non-adjacent cabins was a condition of booking, then I think you’d have a good case for requiring the travel agent to sort it out for you for free.  Especially if the ship still has vacant cabins in the same category, it’s an easy change for Celebrity to make.  

Lots of travel agents have a social media presence these days, and if yours does, and is reluctant to grant your request, you could air your dissatisfaction there.

Not sure if your TA has a contractual problem, but certainly it's their responsibility to figure out how to fix the problem.  Since you probably don't have any written documentation, it will be more difficult to resolve, but hopefully with a little nice pressure, they will fix it....maybe they will pay the $75pp charges but that's not your problem.  Be nice, friendly but firm.

Best of luck (and BTW, you are absolutely right about not wanting to be in adjacent cabins)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cheshire said:

I guess no Balcony Club for you :classic_sad:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

Infinity is an M class ship and the balcony dividers do not open on all M class ships.  As someone above said...."Don't poke your head around" 

When you say "adjoining" do you mean:

a. Next to each other or

b. connecting - with a door inside the room between the two rooms?

if you do have connecting rooms, ask that the door between the 2 be kept locked.  ...But noise can travel more easily because of that door, even when locked.

The cabins are adjacent. yet cabin numbers are 77 and 73 so it didn't raise any alarms.   

36 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Did you book your own room or a guarantee? If it was a guarantee, they can put you anywhere.

Wd booked cabins or should i say our 28yr old daughter arranged it with my wife.    It was commented on I was assured would be sorted but I saw no need to put it in writing as i know our agent personally.   Celebrity have contacted me saying there is little they can do as all 2A grade cabins are full and the ship has only a few cabins left so the only option is an Aqua class.  I have enquired into the cost of that option but as Im already paying for three cabins it won't be cheap 

Would Celebrity move you if 2A cabins were available?  Most likely around final payment time some 2A cabins will become available as people cancel or TAs release blocks they hold.  Keep checking cabin availability on the Celebrity website by making dummy bookings (very quick) and as soon as you see one get back in contact with them.

I’ve managed to sort the issue.   I’ve upgraded us all to Aqua class A1 including our son and his partner who had originally opted for an outside cabin but knowing his sister and partner were moving piped up.  

The cost wasn’t too prohibitive all matters considered.  Thanks all for the input. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, cheshire said:

The cabins are adjacent. yet cabin numbers are 77 and 73 so it didn't raise any alarms.   

If you are in a 2A then it looks like you are on Deck 7.  Check the deck plans again, 7173 and 7177 are not adjacent, 7175 is in between them.  Here's a link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-infinity

When we have travelled with friends or family before (not with our kids, but with other adults) we do the same as a poster above and book rooms on the same floor, on opposite sides.  Lets you come and go as you please without worrying about being accosted by your friend or family member when maybe you just want to be alone... plus you get to see views from both sides of ship if you are in an especially scenic place (this was GREAT) in Alaska.