Regent Passengers

I don't think it has changed that much over the years. Mostly people in their seventies with some older and some younger. Mostly American and the British countries but with a wonderful variety mixed in. A very compatible group overall.

• Like 1

It will also vary by itinerary and duration.  For example, I think Caribbean cruises tend to skew a bit younger, Baltic a bit older.  Shorter cruises also tend younger (think ~40-70?) and certain summer itineraries may have more families (but still not a lot of kids, usually).

But overall, I think the bulk of the bell curve would be seventies as tripperva stated, mostly North America and UK, but we’ve met quite a few people from Aus/NZ aw well.

• Like 1

I have seen more passengers from Germany on our last three cruises - not sure why.  It really does depend upon the itinerary.  When we sail in South America, there seems to be more passengers from Latin America countries (not a lot but more than normal).  Alaska cruises in June, July - until mid-August tend to have more families and people new to Regent (younger as well). Transatlantic crossings have older passengers and many with disabilities (that take these cruises because of the multiple sea days).

Not much has changed over the years.  Regent has offices in the U.K., Australia (I think) and maybe another country or two which would increase the passenger numbers from those areas.

Regent passengers are generally friendly and open and definitely well travelled.  Most of us would enjoy discussing cruising and travel rather than politics and jobs.  There are some that can be grumpy and complain about everything but most passengers are having a great time - enjoying themselves and enjoying other passengers.  

• Like 2

We certainly didn't see more young cruisers with families on our August Alaska cruise. There were only a few large family groups, and many of them remained onboard in ports. But there were way more extremely elderly people. There were 2 women who told us that they were roomates in an assisted living facility at home in the US. They could only move if one could push the other's wheelchair for exucursions. On board, they both used walkers. They held us up in every port trying to get on and off the ship and take bus excursions. The tender ports, which there were way too many of compared to other cruise lines, were especially painful for all of us. This is definitely something that's changing. Expecting the cruise ship to take the place of your assisted living facility, needs to be stopped.

5 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We certainly didn't see more young cruisers with families on our August Alaska cruise. There were only a few large family groups, and many of them remained onboard in ports. But there were way more extremely elderly people. There were 2 women who told us that they were roomates in an assisted living facility at home in the US. They could only move if one could push the other's wheelchair for exucursions. On board, they both used walkers. They held us up in every port trying to get on and off the ship and take bus excursions. The tender ports, which there were way too many of compared to other cruise lines, were especially painful for all of us. This is definitely something that's changing. Expecting the cruise ship to take the place of your assisted living facility, needs to be stopped.

Wow - that is shocking in many ways!!!!  What you describe is what I expect on transatlantic cruises. 

While this is a separate topic, I believe that people with disabilities should be able to board first and sit in the front seats BUT they should get off of the bus last in order for others to get off.   Also, if passengers can not keep up with the rest of the excursion group, they do not belong on the excursion.  This is a topic that I believe will get more attention in the future.

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Wow - that is shocking in many ways!!!!  What you describe is what I expect on transatlantic cruises. 

While this is a separate topic, I believe that people with disabilities should be able to board first and sit in the front seats BUT they should get off of the bus last in order for others to get off.   Also, if passengers can not keep up with the rest of the excursion group, they do not belong on the excursion.  This is a topic that I believe will get more attention in the future.

We, too, have experienced excursions with limited-mobility folks who should NOT have been on the excursions - it was difficult for them and frustrating for the rest of those on the excursion.  Regent WILL NOT tell someone that they cannot participate for fear of a lawsuit.  All that is noted in the tour description is that 'you should take your limitations/abilities into consideration when deciding whether or not to take this excursion.' Or wording similar.  They will specify if wheelchair guests cannot be accommodated due to stairs, etc but that's about it.

I think a lot of Regent fans are getting older, plain and simple!  We, for example, first sailed a (then) Radisson ship in the year 2000.  So I was almost 51.  Now nineteen years later, and guess what?  I'm 70!

Yes there are lots of younger cruisers, on some itineraries, as others have said, especially shorter ones.  Longer cruises, not so much.  We're close to being the geriatric ones now!

5 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think a lot of Regent fans are getting older, plain and simple!  We, for example, first sailed a (then) Radisson ship in the year 2000.  So I was almost 51.  Now nineteen years later, and guess what?  I'm 70!

Yes there are lots of younger cruisers, on some itineraries, as others have said, especially shorter ones.  Longer cruises, not so much.  We're close to being the geriatric ones now!

Yes, but we just saw some guy sky diving at 95 on TV.  Not all geriatrics are in poor physical shape.  Becoming over 100 is not uncommon these  day.

• Like 2

Our Mediterranean cruise skewed much younger than 70. There was a tour group from Asia, they had a tour leader desk. There were also young children on this cruise. 

We had a young mother confined to a wheelchair. She traveled with her husband and two young teens. NEVER did we feel she was holding us up. Her family took loving care of her. 

• Like 1

Our Alaska cruise on the Mariner in May,  2019 had a lovely variety of all ages.  We are 60 and 70, and I’d say most people were in our age group, some younger, some a lot older. There were a handful of well behaved children on-board as well.  Those of us who could not do super active excursions chose appropriate excursions.  It was a fabulous cruise!

11 minutes ago, Pinksunset said:

Our Alaska cruise on the Mariner in May,  2019 had a lovely variety of all ages.  We are 60 and 70, and I’d say most people were in our age group, some younger, some a lot older. There were a handful of well behaved children on-board as well.  Those of us who could not do super active excursions chose appropriate excursions.  It was a fabulous cruise!

that’s all that counts is that you had a great time.  Some older people are in better shape  and can run circles around younger ones.  I see this all the time in the gym.  Age is just a number not necessarily a death sentence.  Continue to enjoy life!  

• Like 1

Thanks that gives me a pretty good idea of the personalities ! On another trip we went(not regent) there were also some British, Israelis, German, Australian , Indian etc. Though the majority was a very big group of Chinese with their group translator. While they are very polite and always greeting you, there isn’t much communication because of the language barrier. 

Edited by geronimo007
Typo

Are there excursion talks on the ship? Although they can't tell passengers not to take an excursion, on our recent long cruise the speakers explained what kind of mobility was necessary, such as 200 steps etc. Did everyone listen? No, of course not. But others changed out the more strenuous excursions or booked a private car. That was on HAL, a line with experience. ;-)

But the topic is passengers in general, isn't it? I am looking forward to some nice, easy going people on our cruise.

21 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Are there excursion talks on the ship? Although they can't tell passengers not to take an excursion, on our recent long cruise the speakers explained what kind of mobility was necessary, such as 200 steps etc. Did everyone listen? No, of course not. But others changed out the more strenuous excursions or booked a private car. That was on HAL, a line with experience. 😉

But the topic is passengers in general, isn't it? I am looking forward to some nice, easy going people on our cruise.

Yes, there are port talks, and they do exactly that type of thing.  The port talks get repeated on the TV as well, as I recall.  And I'm sure we'll have mostly easy going people, at least that's my expectation.

I have a hard time telling the age of people on the ship or on land. We started the lux cruises when I was 45 and hung out with our age on up. I will be 61, DH 66 on next Regent cruise. At home we have good friends from age 50-78.  Much in common. My best friend who is going with us on the cruise will be 60, very active and the only one I know over 40 who can still totally pull off a bikini. She is extremely active as is her husband. They will be doing all the 3 people icon shore excursions. I will not nor will I attempt a bikini.  We may be with perhaps older people with 2 people icon shore excursions that are easier on the body. That is the joy of cruising, you do not have to hang out with the same people all day. We have found Regent is full of well traveled, interesting people who of course appreciate what Regent has to offer. Age difference has never been an issue for us nor something we look at when planning a cruise.

• 1 month later...

We are mid 40s and definitely on the young end of our Adriatic/Med cruise this past fall on Voyager. Maybe a handful of couples (10-20?) younger than us, but not many. 

I'd say probably 60%-70% US and Can, 10% UK and 10% AUS/NZ and balance others... but that's just a total seat-of-the-pants guess based on meeting people and hearing languages/accents.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, Travelcat2 said:

During our Explorer transatlantic this past March/April, we saw several gentlemen that had great difficulty walking,  only using a cane or nothing at all, they really should be using walkers or not be on the ship at all. At one time the ship was swaying and if it had not been for Bob  helping him , the man would have fallen. The wife walking 10 steps in front of him,  totally oblivious. 

16 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

During our Explorer transatlantic this past March/April, we saw several gentlemen that had great difficulty walking,  only using a cane or nothing at all, they really should be using walkers or not be on the ship at all. At one time the ship was swaying and if it had not been for Bob  helping him , the man would have fallen. The wife walking 10 steps in front of him,  totally oblivious. 

What a shame that the man’s wife could not have been more helpful - thankfully Bob was able to help.  Not sure if anyone knows this but you can borrow a cane for use during your cruise (at least I was able to on our last cruise after I fell and had difficulty walking.)

In terms of excursions, I’ve seen a lot of poor behavior... to me the worst is when a person uses a walker when they get onto the bus and take a front seat.  The walker was stored in the luggage compartment of the bus and the person never used it again - not for any stops that were made on the excursion.  Seeing people “fake” disabilities affected me so much that even when I have needed help to board a plane or needed a front seat on a bus, I haven’t taken advantage of it as there were people that needed it much more than I did. 

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

What a shame that the man’s wife could not have been more helpful - thankfully Bob was able to help.  Not sure if anyone knows this but you can borrow a cane for use during your cruise (at least I was able to on our last cruise after I fell and had difficulty walking.)

In terms of excursions, I’ve seen a lot of poor behavior... to me the worst is when a person uses a walker when they get onto the bus and take a front seat.  The walker was stored in the luggage compartment of the bus and the person never used it again - not for any stops that were made on the excursion.  Seeing people “fake” disabilities affected me so much that even when I have needed help to board a plane or needed a front seat on a bus, I haven’t taken advantage of it as there were people that needed it much more than I did. 

Your 100% right, on flights they call it the miracle flight--they need help getting on to put all the luggage away, however once you land a miracle happened and they can walk right off the plane.  Sad but true people take advantage---so good for you!👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Those who have cruised with me, know all about my oxygen and my red mobility scooter. We have traveled the world by land and sea with my special needs. 

We book only excursions that I can handle. If it is tough, I just stay on the bus. Yes, I need the front seat because of my disability. But always wait to be the last to get off, while my DH sets up the scooter. 

I have never held up a group because I know my limitations and adjust accordingly. 

Most people are very courteous. However, there are some, who get on the bus with just a cane, and demand the handicapped seat, regardless if there are others who really need it. 

So, every cruise ship has some good people and some grouchy people. We go with the flow because that’s life on the high seas!

Sheila

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, Floridiana said:

Are there excursion talks on the ship? Although they can't tell passengers not to take an excursion, on our recent long cruise the speakers explained what kind of mobility was necessary, such as 200 steps etc. Did everyone listen? No, of course not. But others changed out the more strenuous excursions or booked a private car. That was on HAL, a line with experience. ;-)

The port talks on the ship are, in my opinion only, very boring.  In my opinion, reading the description of the cruise and seeing how it is rated in terms of difficulty is more important than watching a port talk.  Plus, I prefer seeing things for myself first rather than seeing it on a screen and repeating it in person.  We have cruised with Sheila and what she posted is true.  She needs the front seat on a bus but does not hold anyone up on an excursion.

In terms of nationalities on Regent ships, a couple of years ago, during a talk on Explorer, it was estimated that 80% of Regent cruisers are from the North America (U.S./Canada) followed by passengers from the U.K. and Australia/New Zealand so slidebite was very close in terms of percentages.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

The port talks on the ship are, in my opinion only, very boring. ...

Obviously this depends a lot on who is giving the talk. Some, such as every talk by Terry Breen that I've heard, are uniformly excellent, others not so much.  By luck more than planning, we've been on 3 cruises with Terry: Rio - Miami, Alaska, and Miami - Lima.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Obviously this depends a lot on who is giving the talk. Some, such as every talk by Terry Breen that I've heard, are uniformly excellent, others not so much.  By luck more than planning, we've been on 3 cruises with Terry: Rio - Miami, Alaska, and Miami - Lima.

Terry Breen is definitely wonderful.  In my opinion, she does not give typical "port talks".  She goes in-depth and, as you know, continues her commentary in places like Alaska and the Amazon while the ship is transiting the areas.

Edited by Travelcat2