Thoughts on upgrading from balcony to mini-suite

MomC

We are on the Star in January. We booked a balcony cabin but just saw where a mini suite is only $206 per person higher. This seems like a great deal. Has anyone been in both cabin categories and could comment?

Thanks,

Mom C

It would depend a lot for me on how long the cruise is going to be. An extra $206 per person for a 14 day cruise or a 28 day cruise is a lot different than an extra $206 per person for a 4 day cruise.

• Like 1

I've been in both types of cabins.  The minisuite is nice because it has a tub/shower instead of (small) shower and also has the sitting area with sofa (becomes a sofabed if needed).  You don't mention how many of you would be in the cabin. There are two TV's instead of one.  Most minisuite's have uncovered balconies, if that's a concern.  If those things work for you, I think that is a good deal to upgrade. 

• Like 3

If there are two of you, there only may be one chair in the balcony cabin to sit on.  The barrel chair has started to be removed from balcony and below cabins.  If you like to sit in your cabin, then I would go for the upgrade.  The extra room would be nice too.

• Haha 1

Thank you! We are on an 11 night cruise so if we divide that increase then it’s only $20 a day per person.  I have read about the barrel chair debate on the Star.  I think we need the extra room PLUS a chair to sit in!

Mom C

• Like 3

There's so much more room in a mini.  If it's in your budget, definitely go for it.   I booked a mini then read about Club Class Minis and decided  I had to have one.  It's on the Star in June, so I don't know if it's worth the $ or not.

2 hours ago, MomC said:

We are on the Star in January. We booked a balcony cabin but just saw where a mini suite is only $206 per person higher. This seems like a great deal. Has anyone been in both cabin categories and could comment?

Thanks,

Mom C

It appears your cruise is either 10 or 15 days. For that many days the extra space in a mini is worth it. In the mini suite you will get a sofa, larger bathroom with tub/shower , two TV's and a 9' x 6' balcony. Just a note the balcony will not be covered unless you are in one of the cabins on deck 8. Another consideration are the promos. Compare the promo, if any, that you have with the new fare & promo. When compared the extra cost may or may not be worth it.

2 hours ago, MomC said:

Thank you! We are on an 11 night cruise so if we divide that increase then it’s only $20 a day per person.  I have read about the barrel chair debate on the Star.  I think we need the extra room PLUS a chair to sit in!

Mom C

Do it!   If you can get one on Emerald deck even better! Covered and quiet.

Dolphin deck mini balconies are uncovered and exposed to cabin decks above.

2 hours ago, MomC said:

Mom C

Probably 10 night Baja & Sea of Cortez.

IMO, besides the length of the cruise, what ship you will be on matters. If it's a Grand class ship, I have never been very impressed with the mini-suites. I don't like the tubs because it's awkward getting in and out due to the open side wall being noticeably higher than the open side wall of a regular tub. If seas are bumpy, it's not a good time to be getting in or out of the tub/shower. I don't think having 2 TVs is a big deal, as, if you decide you want to watch different programs at the same time, who gets to have the sound on? In reality, both TVS are in the same room! We found we hardly ever sat on the sofa in the mini, because we like to be out and about on the ship making new cruise friends. On the Grand Class ships, except for the few minis on the Emerald deck, mini's balconies are completely uncovered, so if it's rainy, or very hot and sunny, you may be limited as to how much use of the balcony  you would get.

I always try to book a balcony on the Caribe deck on the Grand class ships …. bigger than average balconies that are half covered. The more forward ones are usually well priced, and much less pricy than a mini.

If you're cruising on Princess' one and only small ship, I wouldn't hesitate, because the mini-suite cabin, as well as the balcony, is so much larger than the regular balcony cabins. In fact, we got very lucky and were able to take advantage of an upsell offer for our 15 day Spring Panama Canal cruise on the Pacific Princess, and snagged a mini for an extra $200 apiece.

Edited by flamomo

4 hours ago, MomC said:

Mom C

For that price I would personally opt for the larger space.

• Like 1

I would always opt for a mini over a balcony until I found the Caribe balconies on the Grand class ships. I’d gladly give up the sofa and the tub from the mini for a larger balcony that is at least half covered on the Caribe balcony. I also prefer to be at the front of the ship as there is usually less foot traffic, so I save even more vs. the mini.

• Like 1

We have stayed in both regular balconies and mini suites.  The extra room in the mini suite is nice but not really necessary.  We book regular balconies now whenever we cruise.  I would take the money you would spend on the upgrade and use it on shore excursions, onboard spending, or just save for your next vacation.  

Our first time on Princess will be in May.  We have been on theee other lines and all have sofas in the balcony cabins.  Although we don’t spend a ton of time in the cabin, I really couldn’t see having to sit on the bed when we are in there so we went with a minisuite for that reason alone.  

• 3 weeks later...

So far that has been true in most cases, except for the guy that started the huge thread with the bad back on the Star. They denied him a chair no matter who he asked. Maybe that  caused them to be more flexible and keep a few chairs. Still no reports on the Sapphire, which I will be on in a few months. Am hoping for the best. Currently in an obstructed view. Normally when I book this category I get upsell offer to a balcony for a reasonable price. Cruise 

looks almost sold out so I am depending on people not making the final payment as balconies are 2k more per person for this 7/13. 14 day cruise.

actually if I did get an upsell offer I would ask about a mini suite but probably they won’t do that.

11 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

if I did get an upsell offer I would ask about a mini suite but probably they won’t do that.

Now, now, now....no negative thoughts!  If you think it won't happen, it won't. But if you think it will....it just might!   In fact, don't think about upsells. Think about "upgrade".  To a suite with all the perks (at no extra cost to you)  That would be sweet!  Good luck! 😎 🚢

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There are also some that said there were no chairs available.

Holly (hpeabody) said she tried to get a chair on the 49 day FLL to LA cruise on Royal and was told there were not chairs. Period.