Global Entry - Enrollment On Arrival

Gimpy McFarlan

Has anyone taken advantage of “Enrollment On Arrival” to complete the interview portion of Global Entry?

My wife and I have applied for GE and our applications have been conditionally approved.  However, it does not appear we will be able to schedule an interview prior to our Alaska cruise next month.  It sounds like we could complete the interview in Vancouver (or Chicago?) on our way back to the US.  Curious if anyone has done this.

3 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

Has anyone taken advantage of “Enrollment On Arrival” to complete the interview portion of Global Entry?

My wife and I have applied for GE and our applications have been conditionally approved.  However, it does not appear we will be able to schedule an interview prior to our Alaska cruise next month.  It sounds like we could complete the interview in Vancouver (or Chicago?) on our way back to the US.  Curious if anyone has done this.

Yes.  I applied for my renewal last year, and was required to appear for an interview.  Because we had a European trip coming up I decided to do it on my return to LAX.  It was no big deal, you just look for the sign that directs you to the proper booth.  I was on my way in a minute.  If you are flying from Vancouver to Chicago, I think you will clear customs in Vancouver, so that is where the Enrollment on Arrival interview would take place.

Tom & Judy

4 minutes ago, TFree said:

Yes.  I applied for my renewal last year, and was required to appear for an interview.  Because we had a European trip coming up I decided to do it on my return to LAX.  It was no big deal, you just look for the sign that directs you to the proper booth.  I was on my way in a minute.  If you are flying from Vancouver to Chicago, I think you will clear customs in Vancouver, so that is where the Enrollment on Arrival interview would take place.

Tom & Judy

Do you have to preschedule the Enrollment on Arrival interviews? Or are they walk up only when you arrive from an international flight? My husband and I currently live in Guatemala and will want to renew our GE later this year.

I am in Colorado and when i applied for GE 2 years ago i could not get an appt in CO for 5 months.  We were going on a cruise to AK out of Vancouver so i booked an appt for there.    We got off the plane, picked up our luggage and followed the signs to where i needed to go.  All very easy.  Took a few minutes to take care of the interview then got in a cab and went to the hotel.

You must book the interview and have all the info required or they will not see you.

I don't know if the process is different for initial enrollment, as opposed to renewal, but for a renewal, it is purely walk-up, no appointment needed.  Here are excerpts from an email I got after receiving my conditional renewal approval:

Dear Global Entry Applicant,

In lieu of scheduling an appointment at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, you have the unique opportunity to interview for Global Entry when you return from your next international trip at one of several international airports in the United States and Canada. Enrollment on Arrival is ONLY available if you are arriving from an international trip and will be completed during the arrival process.

What is Enrollment on Arrival? With Enrollment on Arrival, Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or Preclearance. This options is now available at:

[Long List of airports]

A list of participating airports can be located on the CBP.gov website. Check the website for updated participating airports. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

What do I do when I land in the international terminal? Follow the signage directing you to CBP officers who can complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. You won't need any additional documents other than the requisite documents for international travel (e.g., your passport).

If you would like to save time and effort, then join thousands of other Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved and participate in Enrollment on Arrival.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Do you have to preschedule the Enrollment on Arrival interviews? Or are they walk up only when you arrive from an international flight? My husband and I currently live in Guatemala and will want to renew our GE later this year.

The GE website makes it sound like no appointment is required when utilizing the Enrollment On Arrival option...

“Enrollment on Arrival is a program operated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to allow Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved to complete their interviews upon arrival into the United States. The Enrollment on Arrival program eliminates the need for a Global Entry applicant to schedule an interview at an enrollment center to complete the application process.

When landing in an international terminal follow the signage directing you to CBP officers who can complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. You won’t need any additional documents other than the requisite documents for international travel (e.g., your passport). 

If you would like to save time and effort, then join thousands of other Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved and participate in Enrollment on Arrival.”

Our flight back to the US from Vancouver does not leave until mid afternoon. I’ll ask my wife if she would be willing to arrive to the airport early enough to perform the interview there.  Does anyone recall how long their initial enrollment interviews were?

5 minutes ago, dazey said:

If you opt to do a Global Entry before flying are they only done at specific airports?

There is a huge list of airports, ports and other CBP facilities where your enrollment interview can be scheduled.

Once you have 'conditional' approval, the list will be available for you to explore and schedule your interview.  Note: There are a few locations that allow 'walk-in' interviews.

Our son applied for Global Entry in early 2018, was conditionally approved but his busy work schedule with Apple made it difficult for him to book the interview.

He was able to complete the interview at SFO last year after his plane landed from his business trip in China. No appointment was necessary.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Not everyone needs to interview for renewal.  They will let you know if you need to.

We were not required to interview for renewal. We received an email confirmation and new GE cards were sent to us.

12 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We were not required to interview for renewal. We received an email confirmation and new GE cards were sent to us.

Good to know.  We just started our renewal process this week.  We will see what happens.

One point I didn't see emphasized: In order to do the Enrollment on Arrival, your application has to have been conditionally approved.  Essentially, the same place in the process it would be in order to schedule an interview.

Due to the government shutdown in December - January, there is a significant backlog on processing applications.  The first time I renewed (five years ago...how time flies!), I had conditional approval in less than a week.  For this renewal, I submitted the application about two months ago and have yet to receive the conditional approval.

Take that potential delay into account when submitting an application

19 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

One point I didn't see emphasized: In order to do the Enrollment on Arrival, your application has to have been conditionally approved.  Essentially, the same place in the process it would be in order to schedule an interview.

Due to the government shutdown in December - January, there is a significant backlog on processing applications.  The first time I renewed (five years ago...how time flies!), I had conditional approval in less than a week.  For this renewal, I submitted the application about two months ago and have yet to receive the conditional approval.

Take that potential delay into account when submitting an application

We were aware that the government shutdown could affect application processing. We also started our renewal two months ago and received confirmation two days later.

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

True.  My wife and I applied initially at the same time 5 years ago, and we have traveled to exactly the same places together in the 4+ years since.  When we both applied for renewal last fall (after our fifth year had started), she got her renewal card in the mail, while I was required to appear for an interview, which I handled via walk-up "interview" at LAX through the Enrollment on Arrival program.  The interview could not have taken even an extra 5 minutes over just going through Global Entry without the interview.

Tom & Judy

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Ditto!

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

How long did it take?  We applied for renewal in late February and were charged the fee immediately, it has been 7 weeks now with no word.

31 minutes ago, jelayne said:

How long did it take?  We applied for renewal in late February and were charged the fee immediately, it has been 7 weeks now with no word.

We received confirmation in two days.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I did not receive an email confirmation for my conditional approval.  On a whim, about two weeks after I applied, I logged on to the website (DHS?) that I used for application and learned I had conditional approval.  I completed my interview at ATL (without an appointment) when I returned from Switzerland three weeks ago.  Did not receive a confirmation email but learned I was approved after logging in (again).  Received my GE card about a week later.  Word of advice: if you plan to interview when you return from an international flight, make sure you have a long layover between flights.  I waited for almost 45 minutes to speak to an officer.

Liz

31 minutes ago, Liz said:

I did not receive an email confirmation for my conditional approval.  On a whim, about two weeks after I applied, I logged on to the website (DHS?) that I used for application and learned I had conditional approval.  I completed my interview at ATL (without an appointment) when I returned from Switzerland three weeks ago.  Did not receive a confirmation email but learned I was approved after logging in (again).  Received my GE card about a week later.  Word of advice: if you plan to interview when you return from an international flight, make sure you have a long layover between flights.  I waited for almost 45 minutes to speak to an officer.

Liz

Just to clarify, the emails we both received advised us that there had been a “change to the status of our application”. We logged onto the DHS website where we found our approval notifications. This happened 2 days after renewal.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

I would def check the website (if you haven't), as I didn't receive anything by email or mail, the only way I found out was checking the website

• Like 1

Thank you for suggesting to check the website because I just found out I was conditionally approved without receiving an email. First appointment is five months away, so I’ll be trying at my local airport or when I return from a cruise in July. 

• Like 1