Fans?

hmmm

I usually pack a fan for cabin use.  I fly SWA and between the two of us we have sufficient baggage allotment.  On one cruise the fan stopped working near the end of the cruise.  I called the front desk and had one delivered to our cabin.  The fan was a larger table top box fan model that took up quite a bit of space on the desk in the Veendam, but it was worth it.                                                                                                                       

48 minutes ago, J4NEC said:

Is there not Air conditioning in the staterooms?

Yes, but sometimes they are not working right. Once we had a room that was too cold for us and adjusting the thermostat had no effect. Maintenance came and fixed something in the ceiling.

Edited by catl331

I like a nice breeze when I sleep so the fans work nice for us. We've had no problem getting one on our first day by asking our room steward.

If you are on a cruise in a warm weather region, the cabin can get quite warm if docked with the sun on your side of the ship. Even with the drapes closed. So having a fan is a nice way to make things more comfortable when returning after an outing in the hot sun.

I pre-request a fan before each cruise from HAL's Ships Services.....800-541-1576....on one cruise they did run out of them....

I learned to ask for a smaller fan (regular size)....not the big floor fan...unless I was in the neptune...it took up too much space.....:)

Had no problems with the AC on the Koningsdam and Eurodam....didn't need to use the fan....but we did need them on our other cruises.........       

4 hours ago, J4NEC said:

Is there not Air conditioning in the staterooms?

Yes, there is. However, if your cabin is on the same run for the AC as a selfish balcony passenger that insists on leaving the balcony door open for the fresh air, the AC will be messed up for all the cabins on the run and the cabins will be warm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We didn't even realize fans were available until a few cruises back  friends mentioned it to us.  We were on the Prinsendam on a September cruise  and had a later cruised booked on the that ship to the Amazon.   We asked at the front desk if we could get one for the Amazon cruise and were told the request was added to our reservation.  Sure enough, when we got home and aske our TA to check, it was there.  We had a floor fan in our room when we arrived.  Air conditioning worked well, we just liked a bit of air movement in the room.  We had our TA ask for a fan on our Asian cruise on the Westerdam this past January.   It was there when we arrive.  Didn't work but our room steward removed it right away and brought us back one that did.   Wished we had know about this before. Never dawned on us we could get a fan!!  My DH is very happy now!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I pre-request a fan before each cruise from HAL's Ships Services.....800-541-1576....on one cruise they did run out of them....

Thank you so much for sharing this. I just called and asked for one on my upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My PCC reserves one for every cruise as soon as I book I book the trip.  It's almost always been one of those tower fans so it's not taking up a lot of floor or counter space.  I usually take an extension cord as well so I have some flexibility on where to place it.

I swear that the air conditioning gets turned off at midnight. I've been asking for a fan my last 4-5 cruises. I usually get a box fan, but I but sometimes get a tall fan on a stand. I get hot at night, and  the fan really helps. The white noise helps me, too!