Buying Future Cruise Deposits for Persons Not Onboard

Cruise Wonderland

Hello, I believe these questions about Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) have been asked for quite a lot of times before, but seems no definite answer. Sorry but please allow me to clarify once again.

1. My friend will embark on a Princess Cruises next week. While on the ship, can he purchase a FCD for me? I am not onboard with him, but I am a Princess member and have the Captain's Circle number. I will probably book my next voyage soon. Hence I wish to have the FCD in order to earn onboard credits for the next reservation.

2. If my friend can purchase for me, do I have to provide my credit card information to the future cruise consultant? Or my friend have to pay for me first by using his credit card?

Anyone has the experience **recently**? Thanks in advance.

In the tiny print at the bottom of the form found in the Cruise Personalizer for the convenience of filling it out in advance

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/FutureCruiseDepositForm.pdf

it says: Only sailing guests are eligible to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit.

But I am pretty sure that I read reports of being able to purchase an second FCD in another persons' name when purchasing one for yourself. And while for US residents the Future Cruise Consultant automatically uses the credit card on file to post the separate transaction for the purchase of the FCD I also seem to recall that others may have to present the credit card in person which accounts for the long lines--there was a sign on the door to that effect on at least one ship (Grand Princess I believe).

So the answer is a qualified yes, with the possibility greater if your onboard friend is also purchasing one for themselves and is willing to use their credit card for both.

18 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Hello, I believe these questions about Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) have been asked for quite a lot of times before, but seems no definite answer. Sorry but please allow me to clarify once again.

1. My friend will embark on a Princess Cruises next week. While on the ship, can he purchase a FCD for me? I am not onboard with him, but I am a Princess member and have the Captain's Circle number. I will probably book my next voyage soon. Hence I wish to have the FCD in order to earn onboard credits for the next reservation.

2. If my friend can purchase for me, do I have to provide my credit card information to the future cruise consultant? Or my friend have to pay for me first by using his credit card?

Anyone has the experience **recently**? Thanks in advance.

Believe there is a definite answer, but the friend can try.

1. All he can do is ask the future cruise consultant. The actual policy is you must be on board.

2. FCD's are charged to the credit card on file in the on board account. If your friend can purchase one in your name then it would go to the friend's credit card.

Both of these questions will require the friend to sit down with the future cruise consultant.

• Like 1

I believe it is now allowed. It will go on your friends credit card.

or maybe they can just book friends with them on the same sailing. 

Something changed about 16 months ago and people have booked others with them and they are getting same benefits.

Edited by Coral

So,why don’t you tell the person to ask the FCC on board rather than rely on the answers from people who may or may not know the CORRECT answer. Then when you find out you can let everybody know the outcome. I ‘think’ answers do nobody any good.

Edited by weedpindle
  • Like 1

On a cruise a few months back I purchased an FCD for my husband’s daughter. I paid for it but it was in her name. I was told that  As long as the person you are purchasing it for has a CC # you can buy it for them. I didn’t know her number so the Future Cruise Consultant looked her up in the system using her birthdate. I paid for it and she got the email with the deposit information. Everything was sent to her; nothing to me. I had wanted to make it a birthday gift for her, but couldn’t do it since the purchase confirmation was sent to her and the FCD put in her account. 

So yes, you definitely can purchase FCDs for people not onboard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crzn-Life said:

On a cruise a few months back I purchased an FCD for my husband’s daughter. I paid for it but it was in her name. I was told that  As long as the person you are purchasing it for has a CC # you can buy it for them. I didn’t know her number so the Future Cruise Consultant looked her up in the system using her birthdate. I paid for it and she got the email with the deposit information. Everything was sent to her; nothing to me. I had wanted to make it a birthday gift for her, but couldn’t do it since the purchase confirmation was sent to her and the FCD put in her account. 

Thanks for confirmation. I knew they changed it awhile ago but most have said they have booked it for family on a cruise they were all going on in the future or something like that. I thought there were no restrictions but couldn't remember.

Sorry grammar was bad above - I answered from my phone earlier. I won't do that again.

7 hours ago, weedpindle said:

So,why don’t you tell the person to ask the FCC on board rather than rely on the answers from people who may or may not know the CORRECT answer. Then when you find out you can let everybody know the outcome. I ‘think’ answers do nobody any good.

I will surely ask my friend to re-confirm onboard. But if the future cruise consultant requires my own credit card to settle the payment, then I will have to provide my card details to my friend in advance (in case he does not have Internet connection onboard).

Hence based on the experience of different people, it seems that this method is originally not allowed as stated in the terms. But some future cruise consultants are still willing to accept reservations for people who are not onboard (probably because they want to generate more revenue?). I believe it depends on you luck whether the consultant on a particular ship wants to handle for me.

Whether my friend can purchase the FCD for me successfully or not, I will let all of you know the results later.

My parents did it for me in October.  They immediately booked my Mom & I on a cruise using the FCD, too.  

There may be many factors that go into whether or not they will do it.  I have the same unique last name as my parents, we were booking a cruise right then, the Future Cruise person didn't care...who knows. 

It never hurts to give it a try, though.  😃  

PS:  I can't imagine that they would charge a credit card number that isn't there.  If they are willing to let your friend get your the deposit, I think it would go on their card. 

Edited by ckb104

6 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Hence based on the experience of different people, it seems that this method is originally not allowed as stated in the terms. But some future cruise consultants are still willing to accept reservations for people who are not onboard (probably because they want to generate more revenue?). I believe it depends on you luck whether the consultant on a particular ship wants to handle for me.

Actually this was allowed when it first came out and then they didn't allow it. Then there was a company change in the last year or so. I don't think it is dependent on the Future Cruise person unless they don't know their companies policies which with Princess is possible.

My guess is that it has to go on the person onboard's credit card. You can then pay them back. I don't think they are going to allow someone else to use your credit card number.

Edited by Coral

14 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Because they want to know in advance.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:56 PM, Crzn-Life said:

So does it go back to you if she does not use it?

1 hour ago, land lover said:

The money goes back to the credit card used to purchase the fcc. They will issue as check if the card account had been closed.

12 hours ago, land lover said:

It would go back to the credit card used for purchase, so yes, it would. However, she has already used the FCD so we'll never know for sure.

I initiated a thread on this subject in Dec. 2017 after purchasing eight FCDs for our immediate family to accompany us on a 50th anniversary cruise this summer.  All eight had been Princess guests in the past.  We booked the cruise immediately after we got home from the Dec. 2017 cruise, and all of them are receiving OBC for them.  The cruise is coming up in a little over two months and everyone is excited that it is finally going to happen.  We've been waiting so long!  

Sandi

On 4/16/2019 at 1:01 PM, fishywood said:

In the tiny print at the bottom of the form found in the Cruise Personalizer for the convenience of filling it out in advance

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/FutureCruiseDepositForm.pdf

it says: Only sailing guests are eligible to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit.

But I am pretty sure that I read reports of being able to purchase an second FCD in another persons' name when purchasing one for yourself. And while for US residents the Future Cruise Consultant automatically uses the credit card on file to post the separate transaction for the purchase of the FCD I also seem to recall that others may have to present the credit card in person which accounts for the long lines--there was a sign on the door to that effect on at least one ship (Grand Princess I believe).

So the answer is a qualified yes, with the possibility greater if your onboard friend is also purchasing one for themselves and is willing to use their credit card for both.

I was not allowed to do this when I tried.

Last year, I was able to buy some for our son and daughter-in-law and a nephew and his finance (all who had Captain's Circle #'s) .I was paying for  them with our credit card. I also purchased one for a friend using their captains circle number and credit card, however a few months ago I was told I can only buy FCC's for other captain's circle members only if I have their physical credit card with me.