So What is Really Included?

Lightngsvt

I've been following the VV Scarlet Lady with excitement and see the booking is live.  We might try to book something in 2020 as the fares don't seem to bad.  What I'm excited about is that this seems like a new experience.  We've done 10- Celebrity and an Azamara and really enjoy them, but variety is the spice of life.  They seem to be billing this as all-inclusive, but I haven't been able to find exactly what is included.  I believe gratuities, wifi, any/all dining and fitness classes are included, but what about drinks (cocktails, beer, fresh juices, soda, etc), entertainment, excursions, etc?  If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

Virgin Voyages is definitely NOT all-inclusive.  They do have a few more inclusions than your traditional mass market cruise line including the ones you mentioned plus soda, but alcohol and excursions are not amongst them.  The entertainment offerings are unclear at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them have an upcharge to balance demand.

Well, gratuities, all dining venues, and wifi are definitely inclusion most lines don't include so that's a plus.  I really didn't expect excursions to be included, but was curious.  Alcohol, even if just a "standard" package would be a nice touch. It looks like they dont offer drink packages, any idea on the cost of drinks?

On 4/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, Lightngsvt said:

If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

VV is not meant to be in the same league as Azmara - more like Celebrity. You will see prices of about 1/2 that after the initial hype dies down.

Biker19, I'm a rider too.  But Im on a Harley not a sportbike.  Anyway, you think VV is on par with Celebrity?  The advertising and "hype" seem as though they are trying to position themselves as a luxury line, but geared more toward a younger yet affluent demographic.  Im probably 10-15 years older than their target (Millenials) but it seems like they have a somewhat fresh take on cruising.  Time will tell.

12 hours ago, Lightngsvt said:

Anyway, you think VV is on par with Celebrity?  

Yes, the size of the ship and passenger count sorta determines that - luxury lines generally have ships below 100K GT and under 1500 passangers.

I just saw this in the FAQs " Unlimited sparkling water, non-pressed juices, soda, sachet tea and drip coffee will be included."  

I assume this means you will pay by the drink "What's a holiday without a few choice cocktails? Your sailing includes our basic bevvies and, while we don't have traditional drink packages, our drink offerings are very reasonably priced."

"Sailors are also welcome to bring two (2) 750mL bottles of wine per cabin in carry-on bags (sorry, no liquor or beer please). Please note, any alcohol in your checked luggage will be collected pre-sailing and returned once your voyage is complete. You are also welcome to bring specialty liquors from a port of call on board. Simply hand them to our security team as you board, and we will hold them until your final night."

Edited by JennyB1977

• 9 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, Lightngsvt said:

I've been following the VV Scarlet Lady with excitement and see the booking is live.  We might try to book something in 2020 as the fares don't seem to bad.  What I'm excited about is that this seems like a new experience.  We've done 10- Celebrity and an Azamara and really enjoy them, but variety is the spice of life.  They seem to be billing this as all-inclusive, but I haven't been able to find exactly what is included.  I believe gratuities, wifi, any/all dining and fitness classes are included, but what about drinks (cocktails, beer, fresh juices, soda, etc), entertainment, excursions, etc?  If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

You can't have a true all inclusive experience.  It is not feasible.  You can't have the spa be all inclusive, or the hair salon.  Some things just have to be an extra charge.  I think the all inclusive non alcoholic drinks, wifi, gratuities, and specialty dining is going to set Virgin apart from other mass market lines.  Hopefully it will keep the annoyingly cheap people off the ship.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Lightngsvt said:

Well, gratuities, all dining venues, and wifi are definitely inclusion most lines don't include so that's a plus.  I really didn't expect excursions to be included, but was curious.  Alcohol, even if just a "standard" package would be a nice touch. It looks like they dont offer drink packages, any idea on the cost of drinks?

From the VV website...
beer.svg
Beer
Heineken, Amstel Light, Kalik, Narragansett 
$5-6 (Tip included)
cocktail.svg
Basic cocktail
Herradura Plata, Mount Gay, Tanqueray, Jack Daniels
$9 (Tip included)
wine.svg
Wine by the glass
42% of our wines by the glass are under $10 (Tip included)

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:49 PM, skridge said:

I think the all inclusive non alcoholic drinks, wifi, gratuities, and specialty dining is going to set Virgin apart

i agree, although the only non-alcoholic drinks that they offer included that are different from most lines are sodas.   Drip coffee, non-pressed juices and such are typically included on all lines in my experience

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 9:01 AM, waterbug123 said:

i agree, although the only non-alcoholic drinks that they offer included that are different from most lines are sodas.   Drip coffee, non-pressed juices and such are typically included on all lines in my experience

Did you miss sparkling water? That's a pretty good inclusion. I did a MSC  t/a last year, was drinking Pellegrino the whole voyage, and eating their great pizza(for a cruise ship).

PS- I don't know if they will serve Pellegrino but I like the idea.

Edited by bones774

On 6/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, bones774 said:

Did you miss sparkling water? That's a pretty good inclusion. I did a MSC  t/a last year, was drinking Pellegrino the whole voyage, and eating their great pizza(for a cruise ship).

Agree on both counts. Although the complementary bottled water is only for bookings from the U.S. (Not sure about Canada) which was a concession to Americans not being accustomed to ONLY being served for-fee bottled Water at meals without any option of complementary 'tap' water available.  Having said that I have been in various European countries that have served tap water in restaurants at request for no fee.

48 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Agree on both counts. Although the complementary bottled water is only for bookings from the U.S. (Not sure about Canada) which was a concession to Americans not being accustomed to ONLY being served for-fee bottled Water at meals without any option of complementary 'tap' water available.  Having said that I have been in various European countries that have served tap water in restaurants at request for no fee.

Yeah, it seemed that MSC was working thru some glitches with the free Pellegrino water, only avail at some times and at some stations. I quickly stocked up when possible and had more than i could drink.

• 7 months later...

It's starting to sound like there are quite a few up-charges that, while possible to avoid, many will end up getting hit for. Up-charges like: Streaming WiFi (who knows if the complimentary wifi is decent enough, but there is a premium WiFi to purchase); drinks (obviously the alcoholic ones, but also specialty coffees, fresh juices, mocktails, etc); "Treat yourself" menu items like the $70 Grand Plateau & $65 Tomahawk Steak dishes at the Wake; ice cream & other non-included food like caviar at Sip; service charges for food delivered to cabins (only RockStar cabins get free food delivery); and of course Shore Things; Spa; Tattoos; and God knows what else. The more I learn, the more potential additional costs seem to start cropping up. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, being_there said:

service charges for food delivered to cabins

We lost free room service? Did we ever have it?

A year ago I knew basically everything about VV, but then, you know, 2020 happened. I figured they would have to re-work some things due to the huge financial losses, but I'm only just now starting to even look at cruising again.

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, bones774 said:

Agreed. I love sparkling water and look forward to hearing what brand is served or if it is served from a tap.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, AdoraBelle said:

We lost free room service? Did we ever have it?

A year ago I knew basically everything about VV, but then, you know, 2020 happened. I figured they would have to re-work some things due to the huge financial losses, but I'm only just now starting to even look at cruising again.

I thought "food delivery" was included. Can anyone clarify with a link? Is breakfast different?

4 hours ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

Agreed. I love sparkling water and look forward to hearing what brand is served or if it is served from a tap.

I've always assumed it would be on tap, basically like running filtered water through a soda stream, but hope I'm wrong.