Penalty for adding a room?

KrazyKs

We are sailing on Sunday.  We have a mini-suite with large balcony for 4 people (3rd & 4th passenger were free with exception of port fees, etc.).  I called both my agent and NCL directly regarding moving 2 of the passengers out of the room and paying for a new cabin for them.  I was told that there is a penalty involved with doing this.  I mentioned that I am not asking to cancel the original reservation, that I just want to book another room (pay for it) and move 2 guests to that room.  I was told that there would be significant penalties involved (by both the TA and NCL directly).  I asked what the penalties would be on the direct NCL call and was told 100%.  Does this make sense?  Why would they not want to book another available room?

What are the ages of the people you're booking for?  Is the new room immediately next to the existing one, across the hall or in some other section of the ship?  There's a minimum age for passengers to be booked in a room alone unless their parents are in an adjacent (connecting?) room or one across the hall.  If your 3rd and 4th passenger don't meet the age requirement and the new room is not near the current room at least one of the paid bookings needs to move which MAY incur the cancellation cost.

Yes, it seems silly since you're just shuffling people around...

58 minutes ago, hallux said:

What are the ages of the people you're booking for?  Is the new room immediately next to the existing one, across the hall or in some other section of the ship?  There's a minimum age for passengers to be booked in a room alone unless their parents are in an adjacent (connecting?) room or one across the hall.  If your 3rd and 4th passenger don't meet the age requirement and the new room is not near the current room at least one of the paid bookings needs to move which MAY incur the cancellation cost.

Yes, it seems silly since you're just shuffling people around...

Not sure this is even relative to the OP's question... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, esm54687 said:

Not sure this is even relative to the OP's question... 

How so?  As I noted, if an adult needs to be moved to another room to conform to policies regarding ages of passengers in rooms, that adult would effectively need to be canceled and re-booked in the new room which will result in application of refund policies (meaning no refund after final payment).

By a penalty of 100%, I assume you mean 100% of what you paid for the third and fourth passengers' fares.  From NCL's perspective, they are better off keeping those fares and selling the additional cabin to other passengers, rather than refunding the fares and selling the additional cabin to your third and fourth passenger. 

Edited by FLAHAM

45 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

By a penalty of 100%, I assume you mean 100% of what you paid for the third and fourth passengers' fares.  From NCL's perspective, they are better off keeping those fares and selling the additional cabin to other passengers, rather than refunding the fares and selling the additional cabin to your third and fourth passenger. 

They booked during a "3rd and 4th guest free" promo period. So NCL actually isn't getting any fare for those two people, but the OP is wanting to pay for a second room...thereby giving NCL more money than they have currently received.

KrazyKs, It sounds crazy, since you'd be giving them more money to book an additional room, but I think hallux is right. Because it's so close to sailing, you're in the 100% penalty time frame. Insanity. haha

Edited by dreamr

39 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

They were very unclear about penalty. When I asked if she meant 100% of what we paid for room she said yes. Our “kids” are 23 & 21 so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I’m just dumbfounded that they wouldn’t want to sell another room. 

Also, I wasn’t looking for any refund on 1st room. Just wanted to move 2 passengers out. 

20 minutes ago, KrazyKs said:

They were very unclear about penalty. When I asked if she meant 100% of what we paid for room she said yes. Our “kids” are 23 & 21 so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I’m just dumbfounded that they wouldn’t want to sell another room. 

Also, I wasn’t looking for any refund on 1st room. Just wanted to move 2 passengers out. 

This is a bit confusing, obviously.

Since *you* aren't sure what they meant, why don't you call back?

Is it possible that what was meant was simply that you must pay 100% of the new cabin costs?  That would make sense, and you wouldn't be "losing" anything; it's not like there is the new cabin cost *plus* a "penalty.

??

GC

Being so close to sailing, NCL sees it as a cancel (all 4 people) and a rebook (2 here, 2 there).

For NCL, keeping 4 in that stateroom and putting "new" people in another stateroom is preferable.

How about adding a friend/family member to a different stateroom and having the 21/23 year-olds sleep there?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

if they 3rd and 4th were free as a perk you should be able to take them off and pick another free perk - i actually did that.  Got 100% of the money back as it was only tax and port fees.  you should then just be able to book another room.  I would call again and tell them you just want to change your free perk options

You could book the second room and have them "no-show" for the original room.  Perhaps even see if you can change the names on your 3 & 4 so they don't get confused with the two who are moving to a new room.  It's always easier to have a no-show than to try and reduce the number in your cabin after final payment.

This is probably your best option.  Book them into a new room and have them be a no show the original reservation.  I don't think there is anything in rules about how many rooms can be booked by a single passenger at a time.  It is after all a hotel at sea so if you want to book a dozen rooms in your name, and pay for them, then there shouldn't be an issue of someone occupying them or not. You paid in full for the room what they would have got from anyone else....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maarek said:

This is probably your best option.  Book them into a new room and have them be a no show the original reservation.  I don't think there is anything in rules about how many rooms can be booked by a single passenger at a time.  It is after all a hotel at sea so if you want to book a dozen rooms in your name, and pay for them, then there shouldn't be an issue of someone occupying them or not. You paid in full for the room what they would have got from anyone else....

This is the best advice.  Book the cabin you want with your 2 children in it - period. No explanation to anyone, just book it.  At the port just tell the res agent that the 2 extra in your cabin will not be going.  This should result in a refund of the gov't taxes for those 2 passengers since the cruise line is only allowed to collect those fees on passengers who are actually sailing.

6 hours ago, Maarek said:

This is probably your best option.  Book them into a new room and have them be a no show the original reservation. 

This could be a problem. The system usually gets "weird" if the same person is booked in 2 staterooms. It can sometimes work such as when using a travel agent but at some point, the system will spot the anomaly. With the cruise only days away, it's possible that it will work but there may be a problem during check-in.  

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I might try again, but honestly both conversations were like pulling teeth. I’m afraid that because the names and latitude numbers are already associated with a cabin that if I push it, then it could really mess things up.  Might also try on board. Seems to be a lot of empty rooms in inside category. 

See if you can book a cabin for them online, without the travel agent.  Then go ahead and cancel them on your room.

And I would do it now as the ship is almost sold out.

Edited by Mike_DeA

13 hours ago, timf2001 said:

You could book the second room and have them "no-show" for the original room.  Perhaps even see if you can change the names on your 3 & 4 so they don't get confused with the two who are moving to a new room.  It's always easier to have a no-show than to try and reduce the number in your cabin after final payment.

While it may be easier to try TO do that, it won't work as you cannot have the same person booked in two different cabins.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, KrazyKs said:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I might try again, but honestly both conversations were like pulling teeth. I’m afraid that because the names and latitude numbers are already associated with a cabin that if I push it, then it could really mess things up.  Might also try on board. Seems to be a lot of empty rooms in inside category. 

Did you call and try again?  I. Interested in the outcome as I have been also thinking of doing this.  I do know that last year when we were on the Getaway with extended family, one family of three in a mini suite with large balcony called about five days ahead of sailing and paid for their son to be moved to an inside room for a small amount of additional money.  

20 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Did you call and try again?  I. Interested in the outcome as I have been also thinking of doing this.  I do know that last year when we were on the Getaway with extended family, one family of three in a mini suite with large balcony called about five days ahead of sailing and paid for their son to be moved to an inside room for a small amount of additional money.  

I did try again - here is the email exchange:

My email:

We spoke yesterday regarding purchasing an additional cabin for our cruise this weekend. I was somewhat confused on why NCL wouldn’t want to have us purchase another cabin.  I am following up again, to see what the “penalty” would be for the following:

·        We purchased a mid –ship large balcony, one of the perks was the 3rd & 4th passenger free

·        We are interested in purchasing an inside cabin (deck 8), if available

·        We would then move 2 passengers from initial cabin to the new cabin

First, is a deck 8 inside available?

If yes, what would be the penalty on the first cabin?

If yes, what would be the cost on the second cabin?

Response:

I spoke with NCL today and due to the cruise being so close the penalties would be 100% of the trip cost for the 2 passengers. The air for Kevin would not be able to be moved to a inside cabin and he would have to buy new tickets to travel. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope you have a great trip. Please feel free to check with the front desk onboard to see if there is any availability for your request to have 2 passengers moved.

So no definite info regarding penalty.  I just gave up.  Might try on board, but now I just want to sit back and enjoy the trip, so I don't know if it would be worth potential aggravation.

Edited by KrazyKs

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, KrazyKs said:

We are sailing on Sunday.  We have a mini-suite with large balcony for 4 people (3rd & 4th passenger were free with exception of port fees, etc.).  I called both my agent and NCL directly regarding moving 2 of the passengers out of the room and paying for a new cabin for them.  I was told that there is a penalty involved with doing this.  I mentioned that I am not asking to cancel the original reservation, that I just want to book another room (pay for it) and move 2 guests to that room.  I was told that there would be significant penalties involved (by both the TA and NCL directly).  I asked what the penalties would be on the direct NCL call and was told 100%.  Does this make sense?  Why would they not want to book another available room?

I cancelled our son after final payment as the 3rd cruised free. He was only penalized the cost of the insurance which I think was $98. I don't think it would have been a problem booking him in a different foom.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, KrazyKs said:

I did try again - here is the email exchange:

My email:

We spoke yesterday regarding purchasing an additional cabin for our cruise this weekend. I was somewhat confused on why NCL wouldn’t want to have us purchase another cabin.  I am following up again, to see what the “penalty” would be for the following:

·        We purchased a mid –ship large balcony, one of the perks was the 3rd & 4th passenger free

·        We are interested in purchasing an inside cabin (deck 8), if available

·        We would then move 2 passengers from initial cabin to the new cabin

First, is a deck 8 inside available?

If yes, what would be the penalty on the first cabin?

If yes, what would be the cost on the second cabin?

Response:

I spoke with NCL today and due to the cruise being so close the penalties would be 100% of the trip cost for the 2 passengers. The air for Kevin would not be able to be moved to a inside cabin and he would have to buy new tickets to travel. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope you have a great trip. Please feel free to check with the front desk onboard to see if there is any availability for your request to have 2 passengers moved.

So no definite info regarding penalty.  I just gave up.  Might try on board, but now I just want to sit back and enjoy the trip, so I don't know if it would be worth potential aggravation.

So it's the airfare that caused the issue, nothing to do with the 3rd/4th person free.  The airfare issue was not mentioned in the original post.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, KrazyKs said:

It makes perfect sense, BUT sense 100% of zero is still zero there is no penalty.

14 hours ago, zqvol said:

It makes perfect sense, BUT sense 100% of zero is still zero there is no penalty.

They bought airfare thru NCL as well, so the penalty would be losing the cost of the airfare and having to repurchase either thru NCL or on their own for one of the kids (Kevin).  You are correct in that there is no penalty on the cruise portion since the 3rd/4th guests were free, but we learned in the OP's last post that airfare was involved.

Edited by Mike_DeA