Sail Away Party?

Just got off my 3rd Carnival cruise (so much fun!) I know when Disney cruises depart for sea, they have a huge sail away party to countdown and honk their horn. Is Disney the only cruise line that does this? I think it would be really fun if Carnival did this! We had a DJ and party but nothing like a countdown. I looked down and all of a sudden we were moving. 

Princess plays the Love Boat theme at sailaway.  I thought it was ok the first time, but after that it's just annoying.  I remember hearing the Disney ship in port playing something as well.

• Like 1

I've sailed Disney, Carnival and Royal and Disney was the only line to countdown and make sail away something a little more special.  There were streamers that were shot out over the deck and the staff on the pier lined up, wearing big Mickey hands, and waved good bye to the ship.  But then again a LOT more kids on the Disney cruise than the others.

The sail away party was a way to sell more drinks. Since a lot of passengers have a drink package, there is less incentive to create a reason to drink. I think the same holds true for the late night deck parties.

17 hours ago, katstoy said:

I've sailed Disney, Carnival and Royal and Disney was the only line to countdown and make sail away something a little more special.  There were streamers that were shot out over the deck and the staff on the pier lined up, wearing big Mickey hands, and waved good bye to the ship.  But then again a LOT more kids on the Disney cruise than the others.

Streamers are shot on Carnival usually.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, Shaded Lady said:

Half the time that I've cruised, we're still getting through the muster, or just getting up to the Lido deck when we've already moved away from the dock...

I agree!  I like to have the "drink of the day" in one hand as I wave good bye. 🍹👋

On 5/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Danca4eva1994 said:

when Disney cruises depart for sea, they have a huge sail away party to countdown and honk their horn. Is Disney the only cruise line that does this?

We've been on several Carnival cruises where the ship will honk the horn if it passes another Carnival ship.  Our last cruise was on the Horizon and at every port, the Sunshine was next to us.  Each time we'd leave, they blow their horns at each other.