Free lobster?

Ashlotte

Do cruises still offer a steak and lobster night that is included? I see lobster on menus for an additional charge. I'm wondering if it is possible at any point in the cruise to have it without paying extra.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Ashlotte said:

Do cruises still offer a steak and lobster night that is included? I see lobster on menus for an additional charge. I'm wondering if it is possible at any point in the cruise to have it without paying extra.

Thanks!

Yes they have it but on our B2B 7-day cruises there wasn’t any escargot.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You get one on a formal night.  Everyone I know thinks they taste like rubber, so I wouldn't get too excited about it, but you never know.  You can also get them at the Crown Grill.  And it's not really free as you paid for it when you booked your cabin.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You get one on a formal night.  Everyone I know thinks they taste like rubber, so I wouldn't get too excited about it, but you never know.  You can also get them at the Crown Grill.  And it's not really free as you paid for it when you booked your cabin.

True, not free, but “prepaid.” Is the Crown Grill lobster as rubbery? Or worth the charge?

3 minutes ago, Ashlotte said:

True, not free, but “prepaid.” Is the Crown Grill lobster as rubbery? Or worth the charge?

It's always been better quality than the ones in the MDR IMO.

But I think that has changed too.  First time my wife ordered the lobster in the crown grill they brought her 4 tails, she didn't even ask.  I think now they just do one, and if you want more, you have to pay an additional fee.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
Update

6 minutes ago, Ashlotte said:

Good to know. Thanks! Is the Crown Grill overall worth the e tea fee in your experience?

Before the recent increase in fee (to $29/pp) we would go to the crown grill on all formal nights.  But the price increase and the inability to get a 2nd entree if you want it without even more of a charge, we have decided it's not worth $58 plus tip. 

I will say the food is a step up from the MDR, but for us, it's not worth it anymore.

If you haven't tried it,  I would try it though.  It's the best food on the ship, even the desserts.  Our TA is giving us a free dining there on our upcoming cruise, so we will eat there in a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Ours were great on our last sailing!

2 hours ago, Ashlotte said:

Good to know. Thanks! Is the Crown Grill overall worth the e tea fee in your experience?

I didn't care for it. The lobster was tiny and not sweet. The other person's steak was okay and the other dish of scallops was under cooked. My preference is Sabitini's but not if there is a fee. The food in general has decreased in quality and expense. I like their pizza and a salad for lunch and can find something for dinner but it's not like it used to be. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Why would anyone want to eat 6 months old lobster that may not have been kept frozen at the correct temperature?

That is a serious allegation. Do you have any facts to back the allegation?

• Like 3

My family has tried the lobster from both the main dining room and Crowne Grill on several ships and found the meals served in Crowne Grill to be much more consistent in their flavor and texture, at least in regards to the lobster dishes.  We have also enjoyed the Crowne Grill lobster dish more than the "lobster 3 ways" dish offered in Sabatini's.  Since this is still purely subjective, I'd recommend you try it in the MDR (typically on formal night) first.  If it does not live up to your expectations, consider trying Crowne Grill, now with a baseline for comparison.  I'll dig up some pics here, all from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess back in Dec 2017 (pardon my amateur photography).  

First, the relevant page of the Crowne Grill menu:

20171220_175827.thumb.jpg.b812908b891c6d46d03fcbd291c570a4.jpg

The entree (waiter removed the shells after I took the pic):

20171225_171525.thumb.jpg.f159fddd86486870418158e97fb8e755.jpg

The side dishes we ordered this time (shared by everyone with refills upon request):

20171225_171713.thumb.jpg.9f6a75f274d2f4ad81050670442de158.jpg

Relevant page of the MDR menu:

20171228_172019.thumb.jpg.d05dc26e7b715410cb5a9d24d91cbef0.jpg

Main entree (shells removed again after the pic):

Ninja edit:  Our waiter did offer a second lobster tail after we had finished this initial spread.  In our experience, they always have offered a second (Royal, Regal, Grand, and Sapphire Princess).

20171228_174448.thumb.jpg.bf51eea93cbc51a8f47362ab3e769742.jpg

Hope this help!  🙂

Edited by VersaliusPrimus
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Pay extra for steak and lobster?

Not in the MDR.

Depending on the menu, it will be steak & lobster or (usually) King prawns & lobster.

On formal nights, there's generally some kind of steak on offer, so as davekathy noted, you can have surf & turf if you want.