Can I tag along thru Priority Boarding?

Hi all!

My DH and I will be traveling to Alaska next summer with my parents. They have booked a Jr. Suite and we're in the balcony room right next door (on Ovation). I've read that because they are in a suite, they will have priority boarding. Can DH and I tag along with them or do we have to wait? Thank you for your wisdom!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beav1279 said:

Hi all!

My DH and I will be traveling to Alaska next summer with my parents. They have booked a Jr. Suite and we're in the balcony room right next door (on Ovation). I've read that because they are in a suite, they will have priority boarding. Can DH and I tag along with them or do we have to wait? Thank you for your wisdom!!

Are your reservations linked/same reservation?

On oasis when she was in Port Canaveral, the agents were checking everyone  sitting in the priority area as the boarding started. They were not allowing tagalong‘s.     They were checking sea pass cards. Those that were not of the level being called were asked to step aside and wait. The other family members in suites or at higher crown and anchor levels could either board without the rest of the family or could just wait for the other groups to be called. 

Honestly the boarding process never seems to take more than about 15 minutes  from the first priority group called to the last group of first time cruiser. 

m

• Like 1

Brave person to ask.

I couldn’t even begin to think I might be eligible for that entitlement.

Can my wife and I join you guys in the priority line? We have an inside cabin, but what heck, right?

33 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Brave person to ask.

I couldn’t even begin to think I might be eligible for that entitlement.

Can my wife and I join you guys in the priority line? We have an inside cabin, but what heck, right?

No need to be snarky. My mom sometimes needs help walking long distances and I thought I could help her, if they'd let me... I'm not trying to skip the line "just because".

• Like 9

When I travel with my sister, who is a level below us...I just sit with her in her section and board with her.  We all get on the ship at some time or another...and the difference is only mere minutes anyway.  

It's nice to just stay together.   

• Like 3

Our past experiences we've always had friends/family board with us. The first time we were planning on going down to their line but the port personnel saw our status on the set sail pass and told us to go to the priority line. We indicated we wanted to wait and board with our friends to do the group photo and get lunch together and they had our friends just join us in the priority line.

We've never been not allowed to all go through together

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

When I travel with my sister, who is a level below us...I just sit with her in her section and board with her.  We all get on the ship at some time or another...and the difference is only mere minutes anyway.  

It's nice to just stay together.   

Thank you. This is our first time on a huge ship, so I don't really know what to expect. My mom will certainly need to sit while she waits to board.. the rest of us don't mind standing around while we wait.

12 minutes ago, Beav1279 said:

No need to be snarky. My mom sometimes needs help walking long distances and I thought I could help her, if they'd let me... I'm not trying to skip the line "just because".

Then it might be best if your parents wait an extra ten minutes and board with you. That’s what we do (Diamond and usually in a suite) when we sail with one of our adult children and their families who have low status and are not in a suite. Linking reservations pertains to dining, nothing else. If your mom has difficulty walking, you might want to request a wheelchair for embarkation. Of course, she would need to wait in a particular area until one becomes available. 

• Like 1

Just now, Beav1279 said:

Thank you. This is our first time on a huge ship, so I don't really know what to expect. My mom will certainly need to sit while she waits to board.. the rest of us don't mind standing around while we wait.

You will find plenty of seating sections to wait in if the ship is not boarding when you check in...no worries there.  And if it were me, IMHO, your parents may want to stay with you in your section.  Will make it easier on all.

However, if the ship has already begun boarding...it's a moot point anyway.  Might want to consider getting to the terminal a bit later to be able to walk right onto the ship.  If she still has problems...there are crew members available with wheel chairs, if that would make it easier for her.  Enjoy your cruise together!  🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, gerif said:

If your mom has difficulty walking, you might want to request a wheelchair for embarkation. Of course, she would need to wait in a particular area until one becomes available. 

Thank you for the suggestion! I wasn't sure if I could request a wheelchair or not. My mom doesn't use a walker or cane but after her knee replacement, she has to take it slower than she used to. I worry about her walking all the way from the terminal to the ship without a break. Do I call the terminal beforehand? Or just request one when we arrive? Thanks!

Actually, we were able to do this, on our recent Independence cruise, with our family. We (D+) were in a JS, with our son (Plat) and his family in an inside -- right across the hall. We explained to the person 'directing traffic' in the terminal that we all had to check in together -- as both cabins (and accounts) were going on OUR credit card. No problem -- we were all directed to the D/D+ priority line.😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like Bob said, it varies.

My Mom and sister were allowed to check in, wait and board with us as Diamonds while they were gold.  

Big difference between being diamonds and being in a suite.  

2 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

Why can’t mom board with you rather than you board during Priority?

I have membership into airport lounges. I don’t try to bring my entire family into the Private Lounge. I wait in the general area with them. I have elite status with my airline. My entire group doesn’t board when I’m eligible. I board the plane with them. Same boarding cruise.

Im sorry mom has issues. That gives her privileges that she has earned and/or deserves. Not the entire family.

If that is snarky, I’ll take it. Better than entitled.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like Bob said, it varies.

My Mom and sister were allowed to check in, wait and board with us as Diamonds while they were gold.  

That was nice but there is a bit of a difference between diamond and gold vs suite and nothing.  By the time the diamond members  board, all the priority boarding has ended.  and then it is just a few minutes between  d and gold anyway.

The whole boarding process is very fast.  

M

• Like 1