Last minute planning for qm2

David rut

Hi everyone,

my my wife and I are taking our very first cruise this Friday for our honeymoon. We are doing a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and are extremely excited.

we think we have everything in order but had a few queries I was hoping some more experienced cruisers may be able to help us with.

1) neither my wife or myself have health/travel insurance for the cruise (I know this is probably not the smartest idea) we both live in the USA (my wife a citizen and myself a permanent resident)and booked through a US agent. I understand if booking through a UK agent then health insurance is a requirement to board the ship but I believe for some strange reason this is not a requirement if booking through a US site. We just want to be sure we will be able to board the ship in Southampton without travel or health insurance.

2) we have printed off our e tickets and luggage label and have our passports ready for check in. Do we need anything else in order to board the ship?

3) how many bottles of wine are you allowed to bring onto the ship per person?

4) in regards to dining, do we need to choose one option for dinner or can we do two options if we choose I.e can we go to kings court and our allocated dining room, buffet and room service or is it one or the other?

thanks so much for your help everyone, this site has already been so helpful for us first timers. We are really thankful for the input and tips provided by people on the site.

we just cannot wait!!

David 

• Like 1

1) Since you have booked with a US agent you do not need health insurance. I don't think it is a very good idea to be travelling without insurance that covers emergency medical evacuation, but that is not a requirement for US bookings and you won't be asked about it at check in.

2) Add a credit card to your list to register for your on board account and that should do it.

3) As many bottles of wine as you can reasonably carry.

4) You may eat in as many different venues as you wish on any given evening.

16 minutes ago, David rut said:

Hi everyone,

my my wife and I are taking our very first cruise this Friday for our honeymoon. We are doing a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and are extremely excited.

we think we have everything in order but had a few queries I was hoping some more experienced cruisers may be able to help us with.

1) neither my wife or myself have health/travel insurance for the cruise (I know this is probably not the smartest idea) we both live in the USA (my wife a citizen and myself a permanent resident)and booked through a US agent. I understand if booking through a UK agent then health insurance is a requirement to board the ship but I believe for some strange reason this is not a requirement if booking through a US site. We just want to be sure we will be able to board the ship in Southampton without travel or health insurance.

2) we have printed off our e tickets and luggage label and have our passports ready for check in. Do we need anything else in order to board the ship?

4) in regards to dining, do we need to choose one option for dinner or can we do two options if we choose I.e can we go to kings court and our allocated dining room, buffet and room service or is it one or the other?

thanks so much for your help everyone, this site has already been so helpful for us first timers. We are really thankful for the input and tips provided by people on the site.

we just cannot wait!!

David 

Congrats on your wedding! Enjoy your crossing. 

1.Insurance

Taking ill on board is extremely expensive. A fall? It might involve helicopter casevac.

Unless you are a multi millionaire, then you should spend a few pounds/dollars on insurance.

2. You need a credit card and appropriate clothing.

3. As much as you want. There is no limit within reason.

4. You will have a table allocated to you in whatever category that you have chosen. You are not compelled to use it, but you can decide, as an alternative to use Cafe Corinthia or th Golden Lion, or Kings Court at lunchtime. For breakfast or dinner you can use Kings Court. There are also two extra charge restaurants, the Steakhouse/Verandah or areas of Kings Court which are separated at dinner for speciality dining.

Best stick to your main dining room.

Stewart

I second everything bluemarble says, especially the insurance. You're OK for boarding, but you might check with your US health insurance and see if it has any overseas coverage. National health is not free (except for emergency room) for visitors. 

You will find a card in your cabin with your table number on it.  Take that on your first trip for dinner since it speeds the process of getting everybody in.  Britannia is on two levels so Murphy says you'll be at the  wrong one.  Relax, easy to fix.  If you don't like your table mates, speak to the Maitre d' afterwards and he will find you a new spot.  If eating in Britannia, get there on time.  You can't just wander in very late and foul up the system.  Other than that, eat anywhere you like, when you like.

Ship's currency is USD.  However, I found that your on-board charges are billed from Southampton - in USD - and my US bank slapped another 3% on my VISA charges since it was billed from out-of-country.  Currency exchange.  What exchange, exactly?

Have a great time, it's a memorable experience and you'll get stories to bore your grandchilden with.

16 minutes ago, David rut said:

Thanks everyone,

regarding the insurance, if we got the Cunard care coverage would that cover medical evacuations and if so can we add that when boarding the ship?

Here is a link to some general information about CunardCare showing it does indeed include coverage for emergency medical evacuation (up to $50,000). I don't know for certain, but I would not expect you would be able to add that at check in.

CunardCare Guest Protection

Edited by bluemarble

It would be very foolish not to purchase travel insurance before the start of you holiday so that you are covered. Do not think you will be able to purchase any form of insurance onboard QM2 and if you are taken ill or have an accident prior to boarding or whilst onboard it will be very expensive and a risk you would be silly to take. Buy adequate travel insurance before you leave home.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here is a link to some general information about CunardCare showing it does indeed include coverage for emergency medical evacuation (up to $50,000). I don't know for certain, but I would not expect you would be able to add that at check in.

Thank you for the link but when I attempt to open it it says there is an error? I also get that same error page when I click on the Cunard care link on the website

I will add to the others that say that you should get medical/evacuation travel insurance. It is a must. I can understand skipping cancellation insurance (we don’t) but medical is very important since it is so expensive if something goes wrong. Unless you can self-insure. 

37 minutes ago, David rut said:

Thank you for the link but when I attempt to open it it says there is an error? I also get that same error page when I click on the Cunard care link on the website

Oh, I suppose you are already in the UK and using a connection that identifies you as being in the UK. The link I provided goes to the Cunard US website, but I bet you are being redirected to the Cunard UK website where that page does not exist. Here is what that page looks like on the US website for your reference.

A Cunard voyage is a time to relax and forget your cares – all of them.

Your voyage is made easier when you include CunardCare Guest Protection in your plans. Worry less about the unexpected, even if you have to cancel due to illness and enjoy some peace of mind that comes with a package of both insurance and non-insurance benefits and services designed specifically for voyage guests. CunardCare is a package of benefits to help provide reimbursement for losses that may occur both before and during your cruise.

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program1 – waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your Passage Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation (up to a limit of $50,000 per guest) in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons).

Travel Insurance Program2 – reimburses losses for the following:

• Trip Interruption - Enables you to interrupt your cruise for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, and receive reimbursement up to your total trip cost (maximum limit $50,000 per guest).
  • Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you may be reimbursed up to $1,000 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
  • Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you may be reimbursed up to $3,000.  If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you may be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
  • Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you may be reimbursed up to $20,000 for medical expenses related to an illness, or up to $20,000 for expenses related to an injury.
  • Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you may be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides up to $30,000 for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.

Worldwide Emergency Assistance Services3 – provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.  Non-insurance assistance services are provided by On Call International.

1 Non-insurance services provided by Cunard

2 Travel Insurance (and Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefits for NY residents only) is underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, Ohio. (NAIC#23787).

3 Non-insurance assistance services are provided by On Call International

Your state-specific CunardCare information may be obtained at http://www.affinitytravelcert.com/docs/nwecpr01.

Note that CunardCare is not available to residents of Quebec or Puerto Rico.

Edited by bluemarble

While having been on several transatlantic crossings on the QM2, we have needed to use the medical facilites on the ship and have witnessed several helicopter medical evacuations while at sea.    The medical facilites on board are quite expensive, but practically nothing compared to the cost of a helicopter medical evacuation at sea.   It is false economy, and very risky to take a transatlantic voyage without travel insurance that covers you both on the ship and in any other country you happen to visit.

6 hours ago, David rut said:

Hi everyone,

we just cannot wait!!

David 

You can still contact Cunard and book Cunard Care. It is a very valuable service. I book it for every voyage. 

Enjoy your crossing. It looks like all your questions have been answered. And some that you didn't ask.

It's certainly up to you to make your own decisions on insurance. (For short, cheap, repo cruises of the West Coast, for instance, we skip it). Should you decide to further investigate, I have some additional advice.

• Check the credit card you used to book the cruise. MANY cards cover many of the major categories of claims.
  • Those main categories, by the way are (from memory - and of course you can get insurance for anything)
    - Trip Cancellation (subgroups include: business, illness, family death/illness, for any reason)
    - Trip Delay
    - Lost Luggage
    - Medical (also Prescription, Dental) Coverage (on ship and onshore wherever)
    - Medical Evacuation
    - Supplier Bankruptcy, War, Natural Disaster (part of trip cancellation insurance)
  • Usually the cruise line (any) insurance is not as "good a deal" as many third-party offerings but can be more convenient and meets many people's needs.
  • Some insurance (notably cancel for any reason) must be purchased within a short window of your deposit, so is unavailable now.
  • We use InsureMyTrip.com to buy insurance (there are other sites). These sites allow you to compare multiple policies from multiple providers to tailor one that covers your needs.
Edited by MarkBearSF

Ok thank you everyone. We will book Cunard care insurance.

we booked through a US site but are in the UK already. Should we call Cunard UK or US to book the insurance?

unless there is a way to do this online even though we are in the uk?

I actually checked the insurance coverage from the credit card we used to purchase the trip and it covers pretty much everything (it is a specific travel card so has a lot of travel related benefits)

it it covers up to 100 000 for medical evacuations. I am sure that is not enough but I’m wondering if others still think we should add insurance even with this coverage?

being in the UK do an online search for travel insurance-loads of companies will show up

if you are young and fit with no pre existing medical conditions should be able to pick one up cheaply and probably less than Cunard and geared to UK market

just check exclusions and cover limits as mentioned above

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

being in the UK do an online search for travel insurance-loads of companies will show up

if you are young and fit with no pre existing medical conditions should be able to pick one up cheaply and probably less than Cunard and geared to UK market

just check exclusions and cover limits as mentioned above

Be sure to check that they will cover you, our policy states that our permanent address must be in the UK.

If you have some time and excellent credit, apply for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It includes excellent travel insurance when you pay for any part of the trip with it. (No, I don't work for them, but we frequently fly free with the points we rack up with them.)

Sorry. I went back and saw you are leaving this Friday. Still, for anyone in the US, it's a reasonable way to go.

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, David rut said:

I actually checked the insurance coverage from the credit card we used to purchase the trip and it covers pretty much everything (it is a specific travel card so has a lot of travel related benefits)

it it covers up to 100 000 for medical evacuations. I am sure that is not enough but I’m wondering if others still think we should add insurance even with this coverage?

I think some travel insurance policies specifically exclude cruises, so best to double-check that your credit card insurance does provide that cover.

19 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

If you have some time and excellent credit, apply for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It includes excellent travel insurance when you pay for any part of the trip with it. (No, I don't work for them, but we frequently fly free with the points we rack up with them.)

Sorry. I went back and saw you are leaving this Friday. Still, for anyone in the US, it's a reasonable way to go.

Thanks for the message, we actually do have this card and this is the one we used to purchase our entire trip with so hopefully it provides the insurance we need

• Like 1