FLL - Disembarkation Day Activity? 7:45 PM Flight

Looking for ideas for things to do in FLL on disembarkation day since our flight isn't until 7:45PM. With that much time, even the cruise line tours leave us with a whole afternoon. Ideally we could find something with a spot to store our luggage, so I'm thinking about maybe a day pass at a hotel? Any recommendations?

If John's excellent recommendations don't appeal to you, consider using your cruise line's luggage valet program (assuming they have one) where your luggage is picked up the night before disembarkation, sent to the airport, and you don't see it again until arrival at your destination.  In that case I would spend the day sightseeing in Fort Lauderdale using the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) for transportation.  See www.sunny.org for sightseeing ideas.

We have a 7:55pm flight home and I too was wondering what we were going to do all day long. I think renting a car and maybe heading to do an everglades tour and then who knows what. Following along to see if anyone else tosses out some ideas.

Edited by Ilove6dogs

Either rent a car or check out a day room at a local hotel like basicprincess24 or JamesEM have suggested.  I don't know if you can use a Luggage Direct shipping program with such a late flight.  On our last cruise we were originally going to rent a room at the Rodeway Inn ( $80 for 10AM to 6:30 PM) and use Luggage Direct.  Our flight was at 9PM so Luggage Direct wouldn't accept our bags for the program.  We ended up staying overnight at an old friends condo and switched flights to the next day.  ( I think the flights actually cost about $150 less).  Lucky us!

4 hours ago, Ilove6dogs said:

We have a 7:55pm flight home and I too was wondering what we were going to do all day long. I think renting a car and maybe heading to do an everglades tour and then who knows what. Following along to see if anyone else tosses out some ideas.

Do you (or anyone) know how long an Everglades tour would be?  We have a similar issue. Our port is Miami and we fly out of Ft Lauderdale at 6, so not quite as much time. 

There are a couple of companies that will pick you up from the ship, store your luggage, take you to the Everglades on an extensive tour of the Everglades with a qualified naturalist and include a hour long airboat ride and then take you to the airport. A great use of your time!

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, Justicedog said:

Do you (or anyone) know how long an Everglades tour would be?  We have a similar issue. Our port is Miami and we fly out of Ft Lauderdale at 6, so not quite as much time. 

No, I'm sorry.

• Thanks 1

Most of the ship tours to the Everglades drop you at the airport by about 12:30-1:00, so figure about 3 to 3.5 hours or so including transport there and to the airport. You could rent a car, out the bags in the trunk, your the Everglades, and then spend the afternoon where you want.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Roadway is a motel not too far from the airport, our room was clean, there was a nice pool and a bar/restaurant adjacent to  the property.  They offer complementary rides to the cruise port and airport and did provide rides for a fee during off hours.  But the best part for us was a place to shower, freshen up, store our luggage and take an Uber to Riverside for some sight seeing  and lunch, made for an enjoyable day. 

Edited by JamesEM
Typo

On 7/5/2019 at 2:38 AM, JamesEM said:

The Roadway is a motel not too far from the airport, our room was clean, there was a nice pool and a bar/restaurant adjacent to  the property.  They offer complementary rides to the cruise port and airport and did provide rides for a fee during off hours.  But the best part for us was a place to shower, freshen up, store our luggage and take an Uber to Riverside for some sight seeing  and lunch, made for an enjoyable day. 

We have a reservation for a day room at Rodeway.  Did you call the hotel when you disembarked?  Any problems with the shuttle?

I was unaware of the shuttle situation and took Uber to Rodeway for about $8.00, and found out about the shuttle at check in.  We did take the shuttle to the airport that evening without any problems.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:12 AM, JamesEM said:

I was unaware of the shuttle situation and took Uber to Rodeway for about $8.00, and found out about the shuttle at check in.  We did take the shuttle to the airport that evening without any problems.

Thanks.  $8.00 is not bad anyways.

56 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

I would jump on the water taxi, take it to Shooters for a long, leisurely brunch, then get back on and ride up and down the waterway.

This is what I'd recommend as well. Shooters is great, and you could also ride the water taxi to Las Olas, walk the riverfront and down to Hollywood Beach to wander the broadwalk.  Great way to explore the key areas. 

The only challenge is luggage storage. I'm almost certain FLL has companies that do luggage storage. Maybe someone else can confirm? If so, just head to the airport and drop off your luggage, then over to a water taxi spot.  Airport is across the street from the port so it's trivial. 

• Thanks 1

Each terminal at FLL has a Bags to Go luggage storage facility.  See www.bagstogo.net.

58 minutes ago, BNBR said:

The only challenge is luggage storage. I'm almost certain FLL has companies that do luggage storage. Maybe someone else can confirm? If so, just head to the airport and drop off your luggage, then over to a water taxi spot.  Airport is across the street from the port so it's trivial. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 8:14 PM, FLLconcierge said:

There are a couple of companies that will pick you up from the ship, store your luggage, take you to the Everglades on an extensive tour of the Everglades with a qualified naturalist and include a hour long airboat ride and then take you to the airport. A great use of your time!

Do you have the names of the relevant companies as I am in the same position and couldn't find them in a Google search?

We rented a car near port. We took their shuttle there. We parked the car in a lot near a waterway stop. We went to Los Olas, had lunch, stopped on a few stores, etc.. we then did the full water taxi trip . When done, we rode over to the beach to watch the cruise ships leave. It was pretty cool. We the headed to airport. Decent and easy day.

• Thanks 1

Rent a car and go to the Everglades, if your shoppers go to Sawgrass outlets, go to South Beach, Shooters is good for an early dinner or Houston's in Pompano Beach on the intracoastal.  Or go north on I-95 to Atlantic Ave, in Delray where it is fun to shop, go the the pinball museum and eat any tons of restaurants to pick from.  If  you like mussels, eat at Mussel Beach.  All on off I95 on Atlantic Ave then go east for short distance. They also have a sight seeing boat the tours the mansions on the water.

• Thanks 1

Just a caution:  the Everglades are a winter destination.  That is the dry - and cool -season with many fewer bugs when wildlife are easy to see at watering holes.  During the summer they are more disbursed and the weather is hot, humid and prone to drenching thunderstorms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1