Celebrity Summit - what's the food like???

glf2710

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Do you by any chance remember if there were several types of Eggs Benedict on Summit for breakfast in buffet? In 2015 there were up to 7-8. We missed them later on Silhouette in 2016/17. Silhouette did have amazing blood sausages.

I don't eat them so i'm only 90% sure they still had the Benedict bar last month. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

Do you by any chance remember if there were several types of Eggs Benedict on Summit for breakfast in buffet? In 2015 there were up to 7-8. We missed them later on Silhouette in 2016/17. Silhouette did have amazing blood sausages.

Yes, the buffet had usually quite a few different choices of eggs Benedict. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tatka said:

19 hours ago, Tatka said:

I can’t say that I remember. I have never been on a cruise and been hungry. That I know!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mschatz said:

I can’t say that I remember. I have never been on a cruise and been hungry. That I know!

Cruising 5 times a year I have no doubts we won't be hungry, but for Celebrity we have a bit higher expectations. 😉

On 6/3/2019 at 6:05 AM, glf2710 said:

we have cruised on P&O Britannia - yes the food in the MDR is not so good, but we tend to pay the supplement and eat in Epicurean which is probably on a par with the Michelin star restaurants we have eaten in.

Can anyone let me know what the MDR and speciality food is like.

I think you'll find Celebrity food a far cry from anything comparable to Michelin star quality, including the surcharge restaurants like Qsine or Tuscan Grille (which I happen to enjoy).  If you are booking a suite you may have a more pleasant experience in Luminae specifically for Suite Guests which I am sure is of higher caliber than normal fare.

We ordered several things from the MDR when the repetitive Luminae menu was lacking. We felt the buffet always had something tasty to try and got most of our veggies during the day there as they were absent at dinner. Spa cafe has nice light lunch fare if you can get there when they are open and we usually start with a morning juice there.  Dessert was a bit lacking but creme brûlée or a chocolate lava cake could be found in MDR or some nice things in Cafe al Bacio. I guess we source from multiple areas but this just comes with a bit of experience and the fact that we like more healthy, flavorful food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Anyone dined in Tuscan recently? 

Interested  in the layout, service and menu...guess that pretty much covers it all...

We dined in Tuscan twice on our Summit June 21 sailing.  The food was wonderful, service fabulous.  If we were not dieting we would have gone a third time.

Thanks...very glad to hear it, esp b/c there are fewer Specialty options on Summit,,,and ours is a 9 or 10  night cruise..   Hope we can still get the E + dining discount...but not a deal breaker if not offered.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, hcat said:

Thanks...very glad to hear it, esp b/c there are fewer Specialty options on Summit,,,and ours is a 9 or 10  night cruise..   Hope we can still get the E + dining discount...but not a deal breaker if not offered.

We were on the 11 night sailing June 16-27.  I don't know what I was thinking when I said June 21 sailing, lol.  Along with twice in Tuscan, we dined in Qsine once, and Sushi on Five once.  We only dined in the MDR once.  We had anytime and it was a bit of debacle(2nd night), and we didn't return.  We probably should have given it another chance, but, we do not always eat dinner, so it was fine.

49 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We were on the 11 night sailing June 16-27.  I don't know what I was thinking when I said June 21 sailing, lol.  Along with twice in Tuscan, we dined in Qsine once, and Sushi on Five once.  We only dined in the MDR once.  We had anytime and it was a bit of debacle(2nd night), and we didn't return.  We probably should have given it another chance, but, we do not always eat dinner, so it was fine.

We will give mdr a chance... Q sine without LPC is a possible one and done....quirky but fun ..with LPC it would be a no!

might try Sushi on 5 for lunch..seems to have more than just sushi as dh does not  eat sushi at all...

hope Tuscan continues with good reviews!

1 minute ago, hcat said:

We will give mdr a chance... Q sine without LPC is a possible one and done....quirky but fun ..with LPC it would be a no!

might try Sushi on 5 for lunch..seems to have more than just sushi as dh does not  eat sushi at all...

hope Tuscan continues with good reviews!

Like you we have no interest in LPC, but, we love Qsine otherwise.

I am not a sushi fan, and we had the pork noodle ramen soup(split), kobe slider and some pot stickers.  My dh had some type of roll and enjoyed it.

58 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Like you we have no interest in LPC, but, we love Qsine otherwise.

I am not a sushi fan, and we had the pork noodle ramen soup(split), kobe slider and some pot stickers.  My dh had some type of roll and enjoyed it.

Sounds good!

We'll check it out...

I have sailed over 150 times on Celebrity since 1983.
The food used to be AMAZING.
They have been making a number of changes to the MDR menu this calendar year.
Cost savings.
Deleting filet mignon and veal dishes (among others) to save money.
The quality of the beef is WAY DOWN.
Lots of fat and grizzle now !!!
Blu is better as is Luminae.
Problem with Luminae is the very limited menu.
Also they used to make off menu stuff (like a filet mignon) in Luminae but no more.
Booked 7 night Equinox in August recently, AQ was $200 per person more than Concierge.
Blu is nice but for that price I could dine in specialty EVERY night for small extra $$$.
For me Luminae is not worth the 2-3X cruise cost (over Concierge) !!!
On next year's Summit cruise to Charleston/Bermuda AQ is $400 more pp than Concierge and $1000 more than Verandah. I've never seen that big a price spread.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

On next year's Summit cruise to Charleston/Bermuda AQ is $400 more pp than Concierge and $1000 more than Verandah. I've never seen that big a price spread.

Wow..big price spread for sure .

We are booked in  a reg balc cabin  for the May itin that includes Charleston...

Guess  chances are slim to none that we will move to AQ or Concierge with those price differences!

BLU  was pricey when we first booked so we decided to do without BLU for this cruise.

8 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I've seen seven night Edge aqua class pricing at over £1000 ($1250) per person more than a regular verandah. Something I thought was outrageous at the time. On Connie over a 10 night itinerary AC was £40 more than a basic veranday. So we booked AC. Despite all the cutbacks I think it's still worth £4 ($5) per person per day more. Just.... 

Granted many MDR items like salads, desserts, sauces and soups are prepared in large quantities and done ahead of time.

This is really no different than MOST restaurants in the real world.

Steaks, chops, chicken and fish entrees are NOT prepared ahead and kept in warming cabinets like most banquet venues.

These main entrees are prepared and served fresh from various grills and steamers, plated and brought from the galley to the table. 

This is a complex and amazingly choreographed system that involves predicting from past demand history  how many of each dish might be needed at each sitting.  Whole primes are cooked ahead and cut prime rib is served just as in any restaurant while grills turn out hundreds of steaks just prior to their being plated and whisked to your table.

Almost all baked products are made from scratch starting in the dark of night and are excellent.

Not 5 star for many reasons but not run of the mill "Pick Chicken or Beef" Banquet meals.

14 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Along with twice in Tuscan, we dined in Qsine once, and Sushi on Five once.  

Which did you like better between Tuscan and Qsine?  We have Qsine booked for the first night, the only time available for Tuscan too late. We had Tuscan booked for our Anniversary (day 3), but canceled after reading some less than stellar reviews.  Food is so subjective though.  My husband plans on eating at Sushi on Five as well. 😝

8 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Which did you like better between Tuscan and Qsine?  We have Qsine booked for the first night, the only time available for Tuscan too late. We had Tuscan booked for our Anniversary (day 3), but canceled after reading some less than stellar reviews.  Food is so subjective though.  My husband plans on eating at Sushi on Five as well. 😝

They are both such different experiences.  I highly recommend BOTH.  But, since you asked, my husband and I both agree it would be Tuscan IF we had to choose between the two.  I can only speak for the Summit.  Qsine is a lot of food and we are always dieting, lol, so this comes into play with our answer.  Honestly, I think you should reconsider and book Tuscan for your anniversary.  Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by FlorenceItaly

2 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

They are both such different experiences.  I highly recommend BOTH.  But, since you asked, my husband and I both agree it would be Tuscan IF we had to choose between the two.  I can only speak for the Summit.  I am not sure which ship you are sailing.  The Qsine is a lot of food and we are always dieting, lol, so this comes into play with our answer.  Honestly, I think you should reconsider and book Tuscan for your anniversary.  Have a wonderful cruise!

We will be on the Summit.  We’re always on diets too, but never worry about it while cruising. I may reconsider Tuscan. Did either of you have steak?  That’s what I would most likely order there. Can you order steak and pasta or only one entree in there?

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will be on the Summit.  We’re always on diets too, but never worry about it while cruising. I may reconsider Tuscan. Did either of you have steak?  That’s what I would most likely order there. Can you order steak and pasta or only one entree in there?

Yes, we both had steak.  We had the filet and the ribeye.  We ordered 1/2 portion of pasta as our side.  Imo, it is the perfect place to celebrate your anniversary.  We dined there the first night at 30pp(booked online) and then later in the cruise I negotiated a 20% discount.  We really wanted to go a third time, but we did not.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Yes, we both had steak.  We had the filet and the ribeye.  We ordered 1/2 portion of pasta as our side.  Imo, it is the perfect place to celebrate your anniversary.  We dined there the first night at 30pp(booked online) and then later in the cruise I negotiated a 20% discount.  We really wanted to go a third time, but we did not.

I think you have me convinced. Do you think we could get a better price if we wait to book during the cruise?  Would we have a hard time getting reservations night 3 if we wait?  That would be the night before Bermuda. 

we've done a variety of cruise lines, our most recent was Celebrity's oldest ship, infinity, a 4 nighter.  For being their oldest ship, we thought it looked good.  We only ate mdr for dinner (possibly did buffet one night), but I did notice that they'd have slightly nicer entrees than any other line would have on a 4 nighter. Eg. One night I had lobster tail (your basic LT, not actually that huge or filling..), one night I had excellent herb crusted lamb chops, one night wife had 'beef tournado' beefs that looked tasty, daughter had prime rib (thicker, better looking slice than typically seen in mdr).

So overall we found it very similar to other lines--but some slightly nicer entree options, surprising for a short 4 nighter.  We'd definitely sail Celebrity again (although next up is NCL Escape to Bermuda).

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I think you have me convinced. Do you think we could get a better price if we wait to book during the cruise?  Would we have a hard time getting reservations night 3 if we wait?  That would be the night before Bermuda. 

If it were me, and I was wanting to ensure a particular evening/time as you are, I would probably book ahead.  I am typically a deal person, lol, but, there are times I go ahead and book for the convenience.  I booked ahead of time for Qsine when there was a slight discount on the website, but, still more than I may have been able to negotiate on board simply because I wanted a particular evening.