9:40 AM flight from FLL following Allure cruise in November

Hi all,  wanting some advice on if I am absolutely crazy for considering a 9:40 AM flight from FLL the same day as Allure disembarkation? Based on price, it is either then or at 8:30PM.  We would do self assist off the ship and we both have global entry with Pre-check so hopeful airport security will be fast.  Does Global entry work for customs for disembarkation?  I would never really consider this time other then seeing previous reviews with early departures, but not sure this early.  Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Even if you get off the ship early into a cab, Miami traffic is very unpredictable, remember it is a minimum  45 minute drive to the Ft Lauderdale airport,   Also, you must be at the airport and through security at least 30 minutes before boarding.  If Allure is based in Port Everglades , would not have problems.    

Edited by Missymo

We cruised from Port Everglades on Adventure in March. We had a 9:47 flight. We did self debarkation. Self debarkation started at 7:02. We were at the cab stand at 7:20. We were at FLL, through security and at our gate at 7:43. We had no problem making our 9:47 flight. This is how it worked for us. Can I guarantee it will go this smoothly for you? Of course not. I'm just letting you know it can be done if there are no problems.

Edit: I didn't realize Allure sailed from Miami. I would not attempt a flight that early if I had to get from Miami to FLL.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

We made a 9:48am flight out of FLL in May after getting off Harmony.  We did self disembark, went down just at 7am and walked right off the ship.  There was no line at customs, did the facial recognition thing, got a green light and off we went.  We also had TSA prechek, so that helped a lot.  We were through security and in line to get a table at a restaurant by our gate before 8am.  Easy peasy.

6 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Even if you get off the ship early into a cab, Miami traffic is very unpredictable, remember it is a minimum  45 minute drive to the Ft Lauderdale airport,   Also, you must be at the airport and through security at least 30 minutes before boarding. Too much stress for me, Personally, I wouldn't chance it that early.   

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I would not book a flight that early if I had to travel from Miami to FLL.

Allure sails from Port Everglades in November.

• Like 1

No one can accurately tell you.  Probably doable if everything aligns; however, you are assuming that ship docks on time and clears customs, etc. on time.  You may walk straight off, and clear customs quickly; however, hundreds of your fellow passengers might have the same idea, and lines could be long.

personally wouldn’t risk it, but good luck if you do, and have a backup plan. 

16 minutes ago, 4minimark said:

Yes sorry for not being clear.  We are sailing out of Port Everglades.  Thanks for all the responses.  I need to decide if the stress is worth it...

In that case, that early flight is not a problem.

In my previous post I told how I was at the airport and through security by 7:45. That was how it worked for us. Now, let me tell you the other side of the story just you have the information to help you decide. The day we boarded the ship we got to the pier at 11:15 and there were still people getting OFF the ship. We didn't start boarding until 12:30. My understanding is that debarkation was delayed a couple of hours due to a shortage of CBP personnel. If anyone on the cruise prior to ours had a 9:45 flight, they missed it.

The delayed debarkation is a rarity. I would book the 9:45 flight again without hesitation.

We had a jumper the last night of our cruise and the oasis was late getting into port .

Lots of people missed their flights .

Every other cruise was OK though , without delays .

You should be fine .

Another thing to consider If it's near Holiday. Done 6yrs FLL around Thanksgiving and week before Xmas. Line at airport was out the door or almost. I fly First Class so able skip long lines, but other's missed flights

Last week on a Celebrity cruise, self assist disembarkation took A LOT longer than usual.  They stopped doing self assist at some point and held the line, even though "self assist passengers" were waiting to get off.   Long lines wrapped all the way around the deck.   It took us well over 90 minutes to get off the ship.     

At 9:30am (when we were finally let off the ship) they still had not called any "luggage" numbers.  Customs was very backed up, but moved at an ok pace.

Consider how you are getting to the airport.   We pre-arranged a shuttle, but originally planned to UBER.   I am so glad we did not.   The designated waiting area for the UBER/Lfyt/Rideshares was outrageously long.  

Traffic was terrible and it took us 15 minutes longer than usual to get to the airport.   The airport security line was the longest I have ever experienced (Seattle).   We sat in the gate for about 10 minutes before boarding our 11:30am flight home.  

In 30+ cruises,  we had a several disembarkations that took much longer than expected.  I would not book a flight before 11.    

If you do risk it, make sure to get in line at the very earliest time possible to exit the ship.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, kalaniiwow said:

If Allure is sailing out of Port Everglades and you do the 1st thing in the morning self disembark, you will be fine to make your flight. The airport is not far from the port.

totally agree. We just got off of the Allure on 06/02 and since we had an 11:40 flight, we didn't leave our room till after 7:45. It only took us 20 min from our room to get out side of the terminal. We called an UBER and were at the airport by 8:30. We could have easily made an earlier flight, but were nervous, so we sat there for a few hours. It was all good though!!

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on 7/21 out of Ft. Lauderdale.  I have not booked my flights home yet because they are so expensive.  There is only one cheap option and it's leaving out of West Palm Beach Airport at 9:50 am.  I keep asking myself the same question - am I crazy??  It's a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from the ship to the airport.  I have no idea what traffic is like there on a Sunday morning.  I know if we do self disembark and talk to the help desk prior, we should be one of the first people off, but OMG what stress that will be.  

6 minutes ago, megnut78 said:

We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on 7/21 out of Ft. Lauderdale.  I have not booked my flights home yet because they are so expensive.  There is only one cheap option and it's leaving out of West Palm Beach Airport at 9:50 am.  I keep asking myself the same question - am I crazy??  It's a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from the ship to the airport.  I have no idea what traffic is like there on a Sunday morning.  I know if we do self disembark and talk to the help desk prior, we should be one of the first people off, but OMG what stress that will be.  

No way I would ever consider a 9:50 flight from West Palm Beach.

I did an 8:30AM flight on Harmony in January.  We were off the ship in Ft Lauderdale at shortly after 6:30AM.    We were in the self assist line by 6:15 and it moved quickly after the 6:30 start.

We just went through customs/immigration and did not use the Mobile passport app as it wasn't needed that early.  We we're at the airport by 6:50 using a cab that was available at the port.

My next cruise, on Allure, is at 9:20 as well and I don't expect to have any problems unless there is a delay getting off the ship. If that happens, I do have a backup plan, but don't want to wait to take that late flight.   I do have Pre-check so that helps a bit.

I certainly wouldn't do it from some other ports/airports, but the port in Ft Lauderdale is so close to the airport, I think it's worth taking a chance.

I like to spend a few nights in Port  efore a cruise and a night after a, Cruise. In Tampa after our B2b cruise from Barcelona we arrive Tampa at 6 AM and leave the next day at 5:30 PM so as not to rush. Made that mistake in Barcelona leaving the same day the ship arrives

Way too stressful. 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, kruzerci said:

I don't think you even need to stress about it. 

Carry your luggage off and you will be absolutely fine. 

Yes, if they have the self-discipline to be up and ready to get in line at 6 in the morning.

jc