Crown Princess Laundry room questions

lianaks

It has been many years since I am on Crown Princess.   Has anyone on Crown Princess lately and use the Laundry room?

1.  Is the detergent and drying sheet machine still using coin (quarters) or it now accepting on board cruise card?

2.  The laundry machine still operating using coin?   How much per load?

Just wonder I need to bring some coin,  detergent and drying sheets?

Hi.  I was on the Crown a few months ago.  The washers and dryers take tokens.  There are token machines in each laundry room and you use your cruise card/medallion to purchase the tokens.  The cost of a wash is $3.00 and the dryer is $3.00.  The cost for dryer sheets or detergent is $1.50 each.  You will choose what you want on the token machine and it will dispense the proper tokens.

Tip:  If you know that you'll be doing laundry during the cruise, I highly suggest purchasing tokens when you get on board. The machines may run out during the cruise and are not quickly replenished.  Then you find yourself with a machine, but no tokens and you have to run to another laundry room on another deck to get tokens.  It's a real pain in the neck.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southwestgal said:

Hi.  I was on the Crown a few months ago.  The washers and dryers take tokens.  There are token machines in each laundry room and you use your cruise card/medallion to purchase the tokens.  The cost of a wash is $3.00 and the dryer is $3.00.  The cost for dryer sheets or detergent is $1.50 each.  You will choose what you want on the token machine and it will dispense the proper tokens.

Wow! We're getting ready to go on the Crown in July and those prices, $7.50 a load, are definitely a motivator for us to plan on having Princess do our laundry.

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Wow! We're getting ready to go on the Crown in July and those prices, $7.50 a load, are definitely a motivator for us to plan on having Princess do our laundry.

A normal bag full of underwear, socks, shirts, slacks, shorts is about $50. Laundry is priced by item. Of course, the $50 saves you around 1 to 2 hours time once you get access to the machines. Before we had the elite laundry service we used to do our laundry on port days.

The laundry service prices seemed pretty fair when we researched them awhile back. We just didn't realize it cost so much per load if you did it yourself. We usually get a ton of OBC as we're both retired military and get SHB, so part of it will be used for this until we finally reach Elite. We just hate washing on a cruise if we can at all help it.

We just got off the Crown two days ago.  The laundry room on deck 14 was out of tokens since the first day.  There was a sign on the machine to go down to deck 12 to purchase tokens in that laundry room.  There were people doing laundry every time we went past since there are 3 ports of embarkation and many folks had dirty laundry getting on the ship from their pre cruise stays.

We decided to tough it out even though I brought detergent and dryer sheets - there was never a machine available.  The deck 14 laundry was closed from 10 pm to 8am I think.  I'd hate to have the cabin directly across from the laundry room.  You could smell the detergent all the way down the corridor - not that it was a bad smell but a detergent smell all the time.

We bring our own detergent/dryer sheets. Using the ship laundry service takes several days. The laundry room uses only Princess tokens not quarters. We buy our tokens at the Guest Services desk  on deck 6 -- the token machines are problematic. Timing on when to do laundry is a crap shot.      

1 hour ago, skynight said:

A normal bag full of underwear, socks, shirts, slacks, shorts is about $50. Laundry is priced by item...

This is certainly a motivator for me to use the self-serve laundry!:classic_blink:

• Like 1

Keep in mind there is only one laundry room on each deck with two washers and two dryers.  On our last cruise we opted to pay for laundry service to avoid the hassle.  If all goes according to plan we will be elite at the end of the year.  Looking forward to free laundry service!

15 hours ago, lianaks said:

It has been many years since I am on Crown Princess.   Has anyone on Crown Princess lately and use the Laundry room?

1.  Is the detergent and drying sheet machine still using coin (quarters) or it now accepting on board cruise card?

2.  The laundry machine still operating using coin?   How much per load?

Just wonder I need to bring some coin,  detergent and drying sheets?

Coins?   Tokens now.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, railman said:

Keep in mind there is only one laundry room on each deck with two washers and two dryers.  On our last cruise we opted to pay for laundry service to avoid the hassle.  If all goes according to plan we will be elite at the end of the year.  Looking forward to free laundry service!

On our May Crown Princess cruise, only 1 of 2 dryers worked on Deck 10 so that made it even harder to do laundry.  We bought 6 tokens total on the first day since I had read that they do run out later in the cruise.  I took my own tide pods, dryer sheets and had some travel soap sheets and ended up hang drying a ton of clothes in the bathroom and in the closet and just put a towel in the bottom of the closet floor. When I cruise again, I will take some Woolite or something similar in a travel bottle from the dollar store because you can always wash delicates in the bathroom sink and hang dry - our bathroom had a clothesline.  I did find you could grab a washer and dryer later in the evening after 10 pm and my sister said she had no problem at 5 am but she did have company. I think the trick is to determine if there are off times - during dinner, maybe, or if you are going into port later than normal on a long day. Our room wasn't too far from the laundry so we just checked it periodically. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 7:50 AM, skynight said:

A normal bag full of underwear, socks, shirts, slacks, shorts is about $50. Laundry is priced by item. Of course, the $50 saves you around 1 to 2 hours time once you get access to the machines. Before we had the elite laundry service we used to do our laundry on port days.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, Southern Cruise said:

On our May Crown Princess cruise, only 1 of 2 dryers worked on Deck 10 so that made it even harder to do laundry.  We bought 6 tokens total on the first day since I had read that they do run out later in the cruise.  I took my own tide pods, dryer sheets and had some travel soap sheets and ended up hang drying a ton of clothes in the bathroom and in the closet and just put a towel in the bottom of the closet floor. When I cruise again, I will take some Woolite or something similar in a travel bottle from the dollar store because you can always wash delicates in the bathroom sink and hang dry - our bathroom had a clothesline.  I did find you could grab a washer and dryer later in the evening after 10 pm and my sister said she had no problem at 5 am but she did have company. I think the trick is to determine if there are off times - during dinner, maybe, or if you are going into port later than normal on a long day. Our room wasn't too far from the laundry so we just checked it periodically. 

I will never again complain about the cost of shipboard laundry (either self-serve or sending it out).  We were on an 18-day land vacation in Eastern Europe in May, when we opted to send it to our hotel laundry in Prague.  The did a beautiful job......and it cost $186!!  BTW, it was only 6 days into the trip, so there wasn't a ton of it.  We will send ours to Princess on our upcoming cruise if the turnaround time isn't too long. Otherwise, thank God for the clothesline in our bathtub!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have been doing laundry on our last 4 or 5 cruises and never really had a problem getting a free machine.  I bring my own Tide Pods and dryer sheets, so to wash and dry one load it was $6.00   Not bad.  The dryers work pretty well and everything dried in one cycle.  I've used other laundry room dryers where it would take several times through for things to dry.