Need help deciding

Trying to decide between two cruises — Empress, western Caribbean, because I want to check out coco cay or Celebrity Summit to Bermuda because I’ve never been there and it’s in port for 3 days.  Both cruises are this August, Empress is 8 nights and is lowest priced. Summit is 7 nights from New Jersey and I would be able to drive to the port in 4 hours. Any recommendations? 

Add another vote for Summit.  We were on her before the Revolution, and we enjoyed the ship.  

Three days in Bermuda would be nice.  We were there for an overnight in April, and would have liked more time there.  Bermuda is beautiful 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mugtech said:

Have you considered NCL Escape from NYC?

I just priced it out. It looks like it would be a little less costly but would be inconvenient leaving from NYC and it sounds like the ship gets kind of congested. If it was sailing from a more convenient port I’d probably give NCL a try. I last sailed on NCL in the early 90s and they dropped my prior cruise points out of their system. If they restored my points I’d be more willing to try them again. Have you been on the Escape? How did you like it?

12 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I just priced it out. It looks like it would be a little less costly but would be inconvenient leaving from NYC and it sounds like the ship gets kind of congested. If it was sailing from a more convenient port I’d probably give NCL a try. I last sailed on NCL in the early 90s and they dropped my prior cruise points out of their system. If they restored my points I’d be more willing to try them again. Have you been on the Escape? How did you like it?

Celebrity is a much better line than ncl, ncl also dropped our points . I have points going back to 1970’s with hal and 1980’s with rccl and ncl doesn’t honor 1990’s . 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

Have you been on the Escape? How did you like it?

Did the Breakaway, like RCI Quantum class ships better, but Escape is one of the few which gives you 3 days in Bermuda.  With the choices given I would take Escape since I am plat plus on NCL, but for you I vote for Summit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George C said:

Celebrity is a much better line than ncl, ncl also dropped our points . I have points going back to 1970’s with hal and 1980’s with rccl and ncl doesn’t honor 1990’s . 

Same experience - turned me off to NCL. I have been sailing on Royal and Celebrity. One of these days I might try them again. 

My wife & I got off a 10 night cruise on the Summit. we spent 3 days in Bermuda & then went to Boston & Bar Harbor. this was our 6th cruise on the Summit & since the refit the ship is like new. We liked it so much that 3 days after getting home we booked the 14 night NE&Canada cruise.WE have been on the Enchantment 2 times & the Summit is much better.

• Like 1

Celebrity Bermuda. My wife and I just got off of Anthem. DW didn't care for the ship. Too big, Too many people. We love the Summit  and would have done the 7 Bermuda or 12 day Bermuda/New England run but my 23 yr old son joined us and Anthem was a better fit for all of us. The 9 day itinerary also helped  in the decision process.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, mugtech said:

Have you considered NCL Escape from NYC?

My son who is in his mid 20's and not particular about food came back from the NCL Bermuda cruise and said never again. Service was terrible. They all had a drink package and found it difficult to get a drink. He also said drinks were watered down. Food in MDR was repetitive and he hated having to make reservations for entertainment and specialty restaurants every night. His only other experiences have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean.

• Like 2

Not only do I favor the Summit cruise, but I was in Bermuda and CocoCay last month on the Adventure.  Bermuda was lovely, and 3 days to explore would have been great!  The first time we were in Bermuda, we got on a bus and took it to the end of the line and back.  Great way to see the people and the island.  

CocoCay was incredibly hot, and is only for you if you really, really like water sports.  Anything new and fun will cost you extra.

• Like 1