No More "Free Open Bar" on Sun & Sky

Tagsalong

On the Sun this week.  Was told by the CruiseNext Consultant last night that NCL will be discontinuing the "Free Open Bar" on the Sun and Sky starting with sailings in September.  Also said the other cruise companies that offer the drinks included cruises (ie Royal Caribbean et al) will be doing likewise.  A Guest Services Rep. said he knew the change would be coming, but had not heard of a specific date.

1) I'm not aware of any Royal cruises that include drinks. Nor Carnival. Actually not aware of any mass market line that included drinks ship-wide except on the Sun/Sky sailings less than 7 days. 

2) Last year the Sun switched to NCL's normal perk offerings after it switched to the 7 day cruises in September -- which was the same thing I noticed when they opened up bookings a year+ ago. So not a new idea, but it looks like they're moving the Sun to Alaska so she won't be returning to the summer 3/4 schedule. Sky's 3/4 schedule in 2020 still show all inclusive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tagsalong said:

On the Sun this week.  Was told by the CruiseNext Consultant last night that NCL will be discontinuing the "Free Open Bar" on the Sun and Sky starting with sailings in September.  Also said the other cruise companies that offer the drinks included cruises (ie Royal Caribbean et al) will be doing likewise.  A Guest Services Rep. said he knew the change would be coming, but had not heard of a specific date.

I already booked the Sky for March 2020 and got the Free Open Bar. They wouldnt take it away after we booked it would they?

14 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

Just booked the escape and the Bliss both gave me all 5 perks including free drink package. 1 is august of this year other March of next year

This is not the same thing as the Open Bar on the Sky and Sun ..... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mushroom said:

Guess somebody needs to tell the NCL Webmaster...the words "Free Open Bar" are all over it.

It will be that way until the very last day the promotion is offered. You can still buy a cruise with "Free Open Bar" today.

15 hours ago, hftmrock said:

I already booked the Sky for March 2020 and got the Free Open Bar. They wouldnt take it away after we booked it would they?

They will lower the DSC, congrats

21 hours ago, hftmrock said:

They might,  but they would likely replace it with the beverage package that is on all the other ships

On 6/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, smplybcause said:

1) I'm not aware of any Royal cruises that include drinks. Nor Carnival. Actually not aware of any mass market line that included drinks ship-wide except on the Sun/Sky sailings less than 7 days. 

2) Last year the Sun switched to NCL's normal perk offerings after it switched to the 7 day cruises in September -- which was the same thing I noticed when they opened up bookings a year+ ago. So not a new idea, but it looks like they're moving the Sun to Alaska so she won't be returning to the summer 3/4 schedule. Sky's 3/4 schedule in 2020 still show all inclusive. 

Where did you see Sun was moving to Alaska?  That seems odd with both Joy and Bliss sailing Alaska...  Or whatever combination of mega ships is there next year and the year after.

2 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Where did you see Sun was moving to Alaska?  That seems odd with both Joy and Bliss sailing Alaska...  Or whatever combination of mega ships is there next year and the year after.

I just went to NCLs website and in the cruise search selected Sun and then selected June 2020 as the date. Viola! Alaska cruises. The last two years Sun changed to 3/4 cruises out of Orlando in May/June so I was checking to see if she was doing that again and was shocked to see Alaksa!

Bliss & Joy are doing 7day RT out of Seattle. Sun is also doing RT out of Seattle but 9/10/11 day cruises - looks to be about the Bliss/Joy ports but adding Sitka & Hubbard Glacier. There's also the I think Jewel still doing the 7 day one ways between Seward & Vancouver. So 4 NCL ships in Alaska next season. 

13 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I just went to NCLs website and in the cruise search selected Sun and then selected June 2020 as the date. Viola! Alaska cruises. The last two years Sun changed to 3/4 cruises out of Orlando in May/June so I was checking to see if she was doing that again and was shocked to see Alaksa!

Bliss & Joy are doing 7day RT out of Seattle. Sun is also doing RT out of Seattle but 9/10/11 day cruises - looks to be about the Bliss/Joy ports but adding Sitka & Hubbard Glacier. There's also the I think Jewel still doing the 7 day one ways between Seward & Vancouver. So 4 NCL ships in Alaska next season. 

Wow!  I guess the Alaska market is very hot right now to put that much availability there next summer.  I was honestly shocked when they announced Joy was joining Bliss because that's a lot of mega ship capacity....  But adding a fourth ship now, even if it's a smaller one, that is a ton of capacity.

3 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Wow!  I guess the Alaska market is very hot right now to put that much availability there next summer.  I was honestly shocked when they announced Joy was joining Bliss because that's a lot of mega ship capacity....  But adding a fourth ship now, even if it's a smaller one, that is a ton of capacity.

Yup. I got a great deal a month out this year. Cruising solo I figured I might have to save up for an Alaksa cruise with the higher prices + flights/hotel, but then stumbled across a week where the entire cost was equal to what I saw just the cruise portion was last year. Doing some PTO math if I can go again if 4 ships makes some last minute deals again!!

I'm guessing they want to compete with HAL and Princess which offer sailings more than 7 days, but figure it's not enough of a demand to pull Joy or Bliss off the 7 day cruises. 

Edited by smplybcause

Looks like they are trying to make up for the lost revenue after dropping Cuba

"Norwegian's parent company, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, issued a separate statement saying that dropping Cuba will cost 35 cents to 45 cents a share from 2019 earnings -- between $76 million and $98 million."

So adding in the extra revenue for gratuities on the Free at Sea drink packages that people will need to pay, plus drinks that will be purchased by customers without the package, will help bridge that gap.  I didn't see anything about reducing the extra DSC that Sky/Sun cruisers pay, so that is another source of revenue if the DSC stays as is.

I'm not sure if that will make up the $76 to $98 million loss, but it will help reduce the sting.