Azamara Toiletry Campaign

CA Oceanfront

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

is Azamara trying to become a Holiday Inn? 

Plastics if disposed properly can be recycled. Plastics that get dumped in the ocean are being put there by people who don’t care.  

An awful lot of the plastics in the ocean started out belonging to someone who thought they were doing the right thing by sending their plastics to be recycled.  It was one of the contractors hired to take huge loads of recycling to some far-away country who didn’t care and just dumped it into the sea, or was hit by a storm and the load got washed into the sea.  

If we are not using so much plastic, and having to send barge loads of it half-way round the world in the first place, we don’t risk having it dumped into the ocean on purpose or by mistake.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Wasn't this done to death on the last thread. Why start another thread which will elicit the same responses? 

There were several reasons:

1/ Part of the original discussion concerned whether a “luxury” hotel chain would use wall dispensers. That this story involved Intercontinental Hotels seemed relevant.

2/ The original thread had begun with a discussion of the contents of the dispenser rather than the dispensers themselves. I thought that was unfortunate. This was an attempt to comment upon only the latter concern.

3/ Obviously my heading was unfortunate. It should have been clearer so that those tired of this topic could have more easily avoided it.

Here’s a thought, why don’t cruise lines and hotels stop providing  toiletries at all. Seeing as everyone wants different brands etc, if everyone buys  some re usable plastic bottles and take your own away this way you will all have the brand you desire, no masses of plastic waste, great for the environment and the cruise company saves a fortune. Win win win. 

54 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Here’s a thought, why don’t cruise lines and hotels stop providing  toiletries at all. Seeing as everyone wants different brands etc, if everyone buys  some re usable plastic bottles and take your own away this way you will all have the brand you desire, no masses of plastic waste, great for the environment and the cruise company saves a fortune. Win win win. 

You're never going to make everyone happy.  This in particular is not going to make me happy at all.  Our last cruise was 45 nights, this one is 35.  How many annoying little bottles would I have to bring?  Or how many huge and heavy ones, in exchange for some of my clothes?  How to judge it so that I don’t run out or have to bring too much back home again?

I see the dispensers as the least of a few evils.  They’re preferable to hundreds of little single-use bottles, and wildly preferable to those little foil and plastic envelopes that are impossible to open with wet fingers.  Another option would be large, freestanding bottles, topped up after every cruise, but I can see a few problems with those.  There will always be a few people who would take them home, and worse, a few malicious people who might add something other than shampoo or shower gel for the next cruiser.

As long as the dispensers look nice, are easy to use and securely fixed to the wall, I could work with that.  Some years ago, on RCCL, I was chased around the shower by a heavy but surprisingly lively and aggressive dispenser that fell off the wall.  I had a colourful selection of bruises to show for that too!
On a recent Celebrity cruise we had large individual bottles of C Bigelow products with pump dispensers. Easy to use and better than small bottles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

I could get behind this.  The only product I use on a ship or in a hotel is their soap or body wash.  Occasionally the lotion, but I wouldn't miss it.  There are many sizes of refillable bottles available that unless you're on a round-the-world cruise, ought to be able to work for most people.

Of course, I don't think we'd see any decrease in cruise or hotel prices!