Azamara Toiletry Campaign

CA Oceanfront

7 hours ago, florisdekort said:

What precisely is “sustainable” about a mass market mailing of plastic bottles?  

Cruising, in general, isn't a "sustainable" way of traveling, either, and apparently most on this board are okay about that.

A few bottles in the mail aren't going to doom the earth. It'd be hard to install dispensers in each cabin on three ships and then find out that people don't like them. Nothing sustainable about tossing several hundred barely used dispensers. 😏

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Cruising, in general, isn't a "sustainable" way of traveling, either, and apparently most on this board are okay about that.

A few bottles in the mail aren't going to doom the earth. It'd be hard to install dispensers in each cabin on three ships and then find out that people don't like them. Nothing sustainable about tossing several hundred barely used dispensers. 😏

And certainly in the UK we would put the bottle and tubes in the recycle bin that after use anyway assuming their council do recycling collections - for example ours does

44 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Except maybe sailing?

We dislike dispensers, or have, but the idea has grown on me, because compared to all that plastic, so much better. Change is hard but this is one change I am onboard with (pun intended). It will be in every luxury hotel eventually, or maybe refillable bottles out of metal or something else, but plastic is, unsustainable. 

We've had some nice Elemis products over the years that we had used in the spas, and even purchased, it’s decent enough but I wouldn’t necessarily consider it luxury. 

Bvlgari is nice, but there are many formulations and can vary in quality. 

Laboratoire Remede was very nice at a hotel we stayed in recently,I’ve tried Moulton Brown and it’s nice too.  We like Acqua Di Parma but our favorite, by far for hotel toiletries is Asprey. Love everything about Asprey products. 

Plastic straws is a a no brainer. I can’t even believe this is a question onboard or most places. Paper straws are different, when and if you actually need them,  but once you’re used to paper, you won’t remember that synthetic plastic straw. I am getting very good at ordering my beverages “no straws please” and don’t bully those with me too hard to do the same. Right Jen?

Finally, I work in an industry where water bottles are sooooo prevalent but quickly being dumped. There are alternatives like pouches, boxes, and best of all reusable options (cups, bottle, bags). In the long run, dumping plastic one time use bottle would save the cruise line money. Give one bottle out per cruise, and install filling stations. Lost bottle? No problem, you can buy a new one. There is a lot of space and weight saving too, plus shipping and moving all that water, since the ship makes its own water from already running power plans that’s good savings too in shipping fees.  After 3-4 fill ups per passenger per cruise in one year the savings would be there to pay for the dispensers, plus of course that memory from looking at the bottle after taking a bottle home. I received a reusable bottle I loved on a dive trip in Bonaire (aluminum) and another in a hotel on Nantucket (plastic) which looked nice but wasn’t. 

In 5 years there will be little discussion about all this plastic. In a generation we'll look back and wonder what we’re we thinking?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

• Like 3

If Azamara eventually considers providing water bottle and dispensers, I would hope that they would choose to provide stainless steel bottles, not aluminium.

As far as the toiletries go, fragrance-free is by far better for me. I am particularly susceptible to strong perfumey scents, and these can trigger breathing difficulties.

I too would prefer the Elemis line, between the two that are being considered.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:41 PM, tgg said:

Azamara used Elemis for many years. I guess everything old is new again.

The big change here is the use of dispensers instead of individual bottles. I think I'll continue to bring toiletries with me. That way I'll have the brands I prefer and they'll be in closed containers.

Hate the dispensers.   Just got off my final Celebrity cruise complete with dispensers.  Reminds me of public restrooms.  Another ratchet down in the Azamara product.  Cost savings to RCCL is the real driver.

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

Hate the dispensers.   Just got off my final Celebrity cruise complete with dispensers.  Reminds me of public restrooms.  Another ratchet down in the Azamara product.  Cost savings to RCCL is the real driver.

I like the dispensers--so much easier than the little bottles!  I only use the shower gel, though--always bring my own shampoo and conditioner. 

• Like 1

I was aboard Quest in May and there was a session with the Environmental officer which was very interesting.   There was a lot of discussion about the little bottles and we all agreed that wall dispensers were the best solution.   I travel extensively for work, and see this more and more in upscale hotels and like it a lot.     The response to refillable bottles was the hygiene problem that it presents. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PAtravelbug said:

I was aboard Quest in May and there was a session with the Environmental officer which was very interesting.   There was a lot of discussion about the little bottles and we all agreed that wall dispensers were the best solution.   I travel extensively for work, and see this more and more in upscale hotels and like it a lot.     The response to refillable bottles was the hygiene problem that it presents. 

I never have seen a dispenser in any hotel. i feel there the maids  have to take away all the bottles and put fresh ones in for each guest so lots of waste. No, I do  not take mine with me but from a couple hotels where I love the product.

Where in that teeny tiny shower and that bathroom would they put a dispenser? And for those who will still use their own products will they keep the small shelves in the shower? Not a fan of dispensers for a number of reasons that would likely cause eyes to roll. But do support environmental concerns.

Anyway sounds like a done deal.

The dispensers can be 'lockable' not the key type but a tamper proof type lock closure that uses a disctreet two prong type 'key' to unlock to prevent people pouring in unsuitable liquids etc.  The exterior is wipe clean.  Surely hygienic?   There are some quite attractive contemporary style dispensers available....more attractive than those on main stream cruise lines.   As long as the product type and ingredients were printed on a sheet on an info sheet in the room then this is the way forward.     

1 hour ago, Snow day said:

Where in that teeny tiny shower and that bathroom would they put a dispenser? And for those who will still use their own products will they keep the small shelves in the shower? Not a fan of dispensers for a number of reasons that would likely cause eyes to roll. But do support environmental concerns.

Anyway sounds like a done deal.

Big difference between "supporting environmental concerns" and being amenable to and taking actions to do so.  My eyes do "roll" at a lot of the stuff in this thread.

• Like 1

I go to a gym that has soap and shampoo containers stuck to the shower walls. Yucky! Soap scum drips.  Not very sanitary. Not to mention, the mold. That isn’t green. It is black. Using your own bar of soap is better.  What is next?  Replace towels with air blowers to save the cost of washing them.  I gave up sailing on another cruise line that cut back too much. 

4 minutes ago, diana11 said:

So why not do what Viking River cruises do. Use much larger bottles of toiletries that do not need replacing daily. Much less waste but still hygienic. Problem solved! 

You'll have to explain to me how tossing one large bottle is environmentally friendlier than tossing one or two small bottles.

Never, ever are our small bottles "replaced daily."  You're not supposed to drink the stuff.

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

You'll have to explain to me how tossing one large bottle is environmentally friendlier than tossing one or two small bottles.

Never, ever are our small bottles "replaced daily."  You're not supposed to drink the stuff.

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

I like your math.  One big bottle is far more acceptable than several small bottles. It wastes less. Tiny containers waste product that is stuck to the bottom of the container.  Larger bottles look and feel better. Viking has big containers. The more deluxe cruise lines do not stick a container on the wall.  When I think containers stuck to the wall, I think Carnaval, not Azamara. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I go to a gym that has soap and shampoo containers stuck to the shower walls. Yucky! Soap scum drips.  Not very sanitary. Not to mention, the mold. That isn’t green. It is black. Using your own bar of soap is better.  What is next?  Replace towels with air blowers to save the cost of washing them.  I gave up sailing on another cruise line that cut back too much. 

I trust Azamara will do a better job cleaning them than the staff at a gym.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, norn iron said:

Based on the OP's original attachment, has any one checked the survey at http://*****/azamarabath

??

They are not digging too deep with their questions.

Agreed!  I never use bar soap and toss it in the trash. On the ship I hide it in a drawer.  I did not like  half of what I tried. 

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Because a larger bottle can last a week - it seems odd that I have to explain to you that this reduces plastic. 

I can easily make one of those small shampoo bottles last a week, no problem. As for the conditioner, even longer as you are supposed to use the stuff sparingly.  A larger bottle will just go to waste on changeover to the new occupants. 

As far as the gym showers and dispensers are concerned I really don't see what the fuss is about. I have used them many times and never felt they are unclean.  I really like the Elemis Revitalise Me product in them too.  If you feel they are dirty then speak to the Spa Manager to pass on to housekeeping. I always feel the housekeeping staff work really hard to keep the changing room and spa area clean. 

Phil

27 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I can easily make one of those small shampoo bottles last a week, no problem. As for the conditioner, even longer as you are supposed to use the stuff sparingly.  A larger bottle will just go to waste on changeover to the new occupants. 

As far as the gym showers and dispensers are concerned I really don't see what the fuss is about. I have used them many times and never felt they are unclean.  I really like the Elemis Revitalise Me product in them too.  If you feel they are dirty then speak to the Spa Manager to pass on to housekeeping. I always feel the housekeeping staff work really hard to keep the changing room and spa area clean. 

Phil

Only a week Phil, I can make them last much longer 👴

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to a couple of hotels recently that have switched over to dispensers (when I had been used to getting the little individual bottles) and I was instantly disappointed when I saw the dispensers.  The little bottles are a small souvenir that I get to take home and enjoy after my trip (the scent transports you back to your great holiday memory)!  I have discovered and enjoyed many beautiful products from many beautiful hotels.  Those dispensers don't look great forever and so far they have been very irritating how many times you have to pump to get a decent amount out.   I would rather the cruise lines work on reducing packaging for the food they buy, or having a better recycling program then forcing the cheap looking dispensers into the teeny-tiny shower space.  

As for the test-drive of new product choices, I have tried Elemis and honestly I thought it was a cheap brand (based on it showing up in discount stores like Marshall's and the look of the packaging), but L'Occitane bought the company so clearly they thought it was great stuff!  And I have to say that Malin and Goetz is quite hip and much more attractive to men with straightforward and bold scents (not florals). It is also a New York originated brand which (if I were American) would make me more likely to support a made in the USA product.  Still, Malin and Goetz feels young, but not necessarily luxe.  It is a moot point though because neither will FEEL luxe when pumped from a dispenser.

And I don't hate the environment, I am ready to make different sacrifices but don't really want to start with those darling little bottles.

2 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

I have been to a couple of hotels recently that have switched over to dispensers (when I had been used to getting the little individual bottles) and I was instantly disappointed when I saw the dispensers.  The little bottles are a small souvenir that I get to take home and enjoy after my trip (the scent transports you back to your great holiday memory)!  I have discovered and enjoyed many beautiful products from many beautiful hotels.  Those dispensers don't look great forever and so far they have been very irritating how many times you have to pump to get a decent amount out.   I would rather the cruise lines work on reducing packaging for the food they buy, or having a better recycling program then forcing the cheap looking dispensers into the teeny-tiny shower space.  

As for the test-drive of new product choices, I have tried Elemis and honestly I thought it was a cheap brand (based on it showing up in discount stores like Marshall's and the look of the packaging), but L'Occitane bought the company so clearly they thought it was great stuff!  And I have to say that Malin and Goetz is quite hip and much more attractive to men with straightforward and bold scents (not florals). It is also a New York originated brand which (if I were American) would make me more likely to support a made in the USA product.  Still, Malin and Goetz feels young, but not necessarily luxe.  It is a moot point though because neither will FEEL luxe when pumped from a dispenser.

And I don't hate the environment, I am ready to make different sacrifices but don't really want to start with those darling little bottles.

The extra amount of wasted plastic from small bottles has been highlighted in the UK.  I spend a lot of time in ‘good’ hotels and used to bring the small bottles home and give them to a women’s refuge.  I can’t say I’m seeing dispensers in hotels but am seeing large bottles which can also be purchased.  There is always a card in the bathroom to say should they find their way into your packing on departure, you will be charged for the products.  

I have long hair and don’t find Elemis particularly good, needing to use loads and I don’t class Elemis or Malin as luxury brands.  L’Occitane, Bvlgari, yes also Rituals.