Jump to content

Prime 7 / Chartreuse reservation advice?


Recommended Posts

Hello,

This is our first Regent cruise, and I have been reading this board for some time, thank you to everyone for your time in sharing so much about Regent!

 

Tomorrow is the day for us to put in reservation requests for our upcoming October cruise.  We definitely want to try both Prime7 and Chartreuse (betting we will be back to Prime7...) and I would appreciate suggestions on when to book the 2 reservations available now.

 

My questions:

- TA suggests not going to either on Captain's Welcome Aboard party - have any of you done a specialty restaurant that night, and would you do it again?

- TA is suggesting going on sea days - which makes a lot of sense to me.  In your experience, are sea days in higher demand in these 2 restaurants?

- Is either restaurant open on the 1st night - and if so, is there a drawback to going then?

 

For all of the experienced Regent cruisers - do you have a particular strategy that you use in figuring out which nights to go to Prime7 and Chartreuse?

 

thanks for any and all advice!

Jerie

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JC in CA said:

Hello,

This is our first Regent cruise, and I have been reading this board for some time, thank you to everyone for your time in sharing so much about Regent!

 

Tomorrow is the day for us to put in reservation requests for our upcoming October cruise.  We definitely want to try both Prime7 and Chartreuse (betting we will be back to Prime7...) and I would appreciate suggestions on when to book the 2 reservations available now.

 

My questions:

- TA suggests not going to either on Captain's Welcome Aboard party - have any of you done a specialty restaurant that night, and would you do it again?

- TA is suggesting going on sea days - which makes a lot of sense to me.  In your experience, are sea days in higher demand in these 2 restaurants?

- Is either restaurant open on the 1st night - and if so, is there a drawback to going then?

 

For all of the experienced Regent cruisers - do you have a particular strategy that you use in figuring out which nights to go to Prime7 and Chartreuse?

 

thanks for any and all advice!

Jerie

 

There is no downside to having a reservation for Captains welcome night.  Just make it say at 7, go to reception and then off to dinner. You don’t have to fight crowd in Compass Rose when everyone arrives at same time after captains welcome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

There is no downside to having a reservation for Captains welcome night.  Just make it say at 7, go to reception and then off to dinner. You don’t have to fight crowd in Compass Rose when everyone arrives at same time after captains welcome. 

 

Thank you - is there anything special in Compass Rose that we would miss (besides the crowds 😉 )?  This sounds like a great idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JC in CA said:

 

Thank you - is there anything special in Compass Rose that we would miss (besides the crowds 😉 )?  This sounds like a great idea!

 

There are some items on the CR menu that only appear n the night of the Captain's Reception.  However, if you look at the menu (on the television daily), you can always special order whatever you missed by not dining in CR that night (just give them 24 hours notice).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

There are some items on the CR menu that only appear n the night of the Captain's Reception.  However, if you look at the menu (on the television daily), you can always special order whatever you missed by not dining in CR that night (just give them 24 hours notice).  

Excellent!  So, we could miss the crowds and still order what was on menu that night.  Sounds like best of both worlds to me....

thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JC in CA said:

Excellent!  So, we could miss the crowds and still order what was on menu that night.  Sounds like best of both worlds to me....

thank you!

 

It works well.  Just tell your server in CR that you would like to speak with the Dining Room Manager.  He or she will take care of it for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Answers (hopefully helpful) to your questions in red below:

 

5 hours ago, JC in CA said:

My questions:

- TA suggests not going to either on Captain's Welcome Aboard party - have any of you done a specialty restaurant that night, and would you do it again?

No problem; just don't book too early if you want to go to the Captain's Welcome, or Farewell, receptions

- TA is suggesting going on sea days - which makes a lot of sense to me.  In your experience, are sea days in higher demand in these 2 restaurants?

Yes, sea days are popular. Demand on individual nights will depend on the length of the cruise and number of sea days.

- Is either restaurant open on the 1st night - and if so, is there a drawback to going then?

Both restaurants should be available for reservations on the first night. The only drawback is if you have had a tiring/stressful journey to the ship or are still recovering from jet-lag.

We tend not to make an advance booking for the first night. However, we have often been fortunate in securing a table in one of the specialities for the first evening by contacting the dining reservations desk after boarding.

 

If you wish for further reservations when you are on board, or wish to alter your advance reservations, then flexibility in timing and willingness to share will help.

 

Hope you get the bookings you want and have a fabulous cruise 😎

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Flossie!

We have a 1 hour flight the day before - so, one of the easiest trips to the port.  Might consider stopping by Prime7 once we board and see what they have for that night, thanks for pointing out that option.

We are on the Los Angeles to Miami, Panama Canal cruise.  Pretty excited, and we still have almost 3 months to go....

thanks again for your advice,

Jerie

Link to post
Share on other sites

We always try to book one of the specialty restaurants on the first night.  It is like a special start to the trip, plus increases the chance of eating there again if we want.  We like to eat early, so often also book on the night of the captain’s reception at 6:30 and skip the reception.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We definitely want to book them early on in the cruise so we will have the option of going again.  Hadn't thought of the very first night.....

thanks everyone!

-Jerie 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One item not mentioned is it is easier to get a reservation if you indicate you will sit at a larger table rather than a table for two. Good luck with your reservations!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Regent went all-inclusive those parties - Captain's welcome, Seven Seas Society - were a source of "free" alcohol.  now Regent is all-inclusive is this really important?  What we tend to do is to arrive very early.  Greet (and thank) the Captain and senior officers and then disappear to the CR for dinner.   We have a lovely meal and are in a restaurant which is remarkably un-crowded for the first two courses at least!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We have a lovely meal and are in a restaurant which is remarkably un-crowded for the first two courses at least!

 

Sounds like a very good idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are set!  

 

Chartreuse the first night at 7:30

Prime7 the second night at 7:00 (Captain's Welcome party first!)

And then 13 other nights if we want to go again!  Will definitely be open to sharing a table on return visits.

 

thanks everyone

-Jerie

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JC in CA said:

We are set!  

 

Chartreuse the first night at 7:30

Prime7 the second night at 7:00 (Captain's Welcome party first!)

And then 13 other nights if we want to go again!  Will definitely be open to sharing a table on return visits.

 

thanks everyone

-Jerie

Great plan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!  Our last cruise we specifically wanted a table for two on my wife's birthday, but most other nights we'd share a table - and we met some fascinating people that way!!  We used to be mostly a 'table-for-two' couple but you really do miss some great conversations and potential friendships that way.  Flexibility is the key!!  

 

Enjoy your first Regent cruise!!  (I'll bet money it won't be your last!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, JC in CA said:

 

Thank you - is there anything special in Compass Rose that we would miss (besides the crowds 😉 )?  This sounds like a great idea!

 

 

I was wondering about that as well.  I have a reservation booked in Chartreuse at 8:00 on Day 2.  Is the reception always on Day 2.  Is it early enough that we can go, then make our 8:00 reservation.

 

If Compass Rose would be better on this night, I could make a change.  It's my birthday and I like French Restaurants, that's why I picked this night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't overthink this matter.  The Captain's Reception is (never say never; never say always) "usually" on night two.  We have been sailing w/Radisson-Regent for the past 18 years.  Always on second night.   Reason:  folks are still filtering in during the afternoon/evening of embarkation day one.  Too much else going on, such as getting baggage packed away; Boat Drill, and so-on.  

 

A 8:00pm (2000H) Chartreuse reservation will allow you more than adequate time to enjoy that Reception; then spend the next hour-or-so, doing something else; then arrive at Chartreuse. 

 

Happy Birthday!  (Which I will be celebrating with my wife while aboard Explorer next-month.)

 

GOARMY!

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, rcandkc said:

There is no downside to having a reservation for Captains welcome night.  Just make it say at 7, go to reception and then off to dinner. You don’t have to fight crowd in Compass Rose when everyone arrives at same time after captains welcome. 

 

In my opinion, there is a downside to booking any specialty restaurant on the night of the Captain's Reception, the night of the Seven Seas Society party or the Captain's Farewell.  While CR has a wonderful menu every night, there are special items on these nights.  Our favorite dish (Miso Glazed Sea Bass) is offered on the night of the Seven Seas Society party.  While you can "special order it", it takes 36 hours for it to marinate.

 

In terms of celebrating a birthday in Chartreuse - let me share a warning from other posters.  Chartreuse is not typical French food and a surprising number of people do not care for it.  So, it is a bit of a risk.  

 

We always book a specialty restaurant on the first and last night onboard.  On the last night, people all go very early (because they need to finish packing and put their luggage out) and CR becomes overwhelmed so we prefer not to be there.  There is no particular reason why we choose the first night - perhaps it is just a habit.  For our upcoming cruise (November) we booked Pacific Rim (only available on Explorer and soon to be offered on Splendor ...... but the entry way on Splendor will pale in comparison to Explorer).  

 

Unless Bill (or Gerry) were dining with us, we prefer tables for two.  While meeting people can be nice, being at a table with someone that only wants to talk about politics or monopolizes the conversation is worse than eating alone.

 

Note:  The Captain's Reception is usually on the 2nd night.  However, if the ship is overnighting in the embarkation port, many people will not be onboard so it switches to the 3rd night.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, wolverine-traveler said:

 

I was wondering about that as well.  I have a reservation booked in Chartreuse at 8:00 on Day 2.  Is the reception always on Day 2.  Is it early enough that we can go, then make our 8:00 reservation.

 

If Compass Rose would be better on this night, I could make a change.  It's my birthday and I like French Restaurants, that's why I picked this night.

 

I would not overthink this as GOARMY said.  On any day Compass Rose can feel crowded and noisy and not very intimate for a birthday celebration. On the night of the Captain's reception, Compass Rose can be overwhelmed with everyone trying to get in and eat after the reception. 

 

Every restaurant on Regent has occasional glitches in service or the food, but generally they are all quite good.   I would stick with Chartreuse (or any of the specialty restaurants) for a birthday celebration.  IMO, the setting is more intimate and less hectic than the feeling in Compass Rose.  

 

As you can see you will get various opinions about these options which is why I agree that you shouldn't overthink this.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While meeting people can be nice, being at a table with someone that only wants to talk about politics or monopolizes the conversation is worse than eating alone.

Shared table rule #1:  Never be shy about asking people to change the subject if you find it uncomfortable.

 

I’d have no problem whatsoever either steering the conversation to a more benign topic or, worst case, asking for another table.  Life’s too short to put up with blowhards; a cruise is WAY too short to put up with blowhards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

In my opinion, there is a downside to booking any specialty restaurant on the night of the Captain's Reception, the night of the Seven Seas Society party or the Captain's Farewell.  While CR has a wonderful menu every night, there are special items on these nights.  Our favorite dish (Miso Glazed Sea Bass) is offered on the night of the Seven Seas Society party.  While you can "special order it", it takes 36 hours for it to marinate.

 

In terms of celebrating a birthday in Chartreuse - let me share a warning from other posters.  Chartreuse is not typical French food and a surprising number of people do not care for it.  So, it is a bit of a risk.  

 

We always book a specialty restaurant on the first and last night onboard.  On the last night, people all go very early (because they need to finish packing and put their luggage out) and CR becomes overwhelmed so we prefer not to be there.  There is no particular reason why we choose the first night - perhaps it is just a habit.  For our upcoming cruise (November) we booked Pacific Rim (only available on Explorer and soon to be offered on Splendor ...... but the entry way on Splendor will pale in comparison to Explorer).  

 

Unless Bill (or Gerry) were dining with us, we prefer tables for two.  While meeting people can be nice, being at a table with someone that only wants to talk about politics or monopolizes the conversation is worse than eating alone.

 

Note:  The Captain's Reception is usually on the 2nd night.  However, if the ship is overnighting in the embarkation port, many people will not be onboard so it switches to the 3rd night.  

Is the Miso Glazed Sea Bass served in Pacific Rim, or only in CR?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...