Man overboard-Meraviglia

Magnelasagne

40 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Just now:

Rescue helicopter have located the person and is bringing him/her to the hospital in Aalborg, Denmark, condition unknown. 

very good news!

23 hours ago, Magnelasagne said:

According to nrk.no a person has fallen off msc Meraviglia and a rescue operation is ongoing. 

This happened in norwegian between Norway and Denmark while the ship was on its way to Kiel

Can anyone tell me how a person just "falls off" a cruise ship? I'm sorry this woman did not survive, but I am wondering just what, exactly, caused her to go overboard?

5 hours ago, gimletgal said:

Can anyone tell me how a person just "falls off" a cruise ship? I'm sorry this woman did not survive, but I am wondering just what, exactly, caused her to go overboard?

From similar discussions, this is the media phrase. It is often 'jumped' or "pushed'. With cold waters, death may have been hypothermia.

OK, OK bad joke, but as other have posted I don't get the 'FALLING OFF' bit ...you fall off a sail board, out of a dingy maybe but not off a 100,000+ ton mega ship.

I'll comment no more as I'm ignorant to the facts but it gets me going...

1) The cost of these man/woman overboard episodes ...who do you think pays ...clue, NOT MSC or any other line

2) The disruption to 3/4/5,000+ other paying passengers and their vacation

*Like the well worn former air stewardess who 'fell' from NCL recently ...fell aided by booze, climbing lessons and a big row with her partner that is! She should be fought through the courts by NCL to recover the costs....including force of sale of property if need be  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gimletgal said:

They do not. Most are suicides coo-berated by family members when you research each story individually. Very sad and selfish way to kill yourself. Suicide is awful for all involved. 

On 7/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, gimletgal said:

Too much alcohol or drugs the only reason someone would "fall" or they got help from someone .