Cocktail hour?

Gabrielle R.

It's been a while since we have sailed on Princess.  We are platinum, slowly working towards Elite.  I know that there have been changes on Princess..... 2 for 1 happy hour is gone- correct?  (My husband always liked that one)  One question do they still have the 'special' cocktail hour(s) for the Platinum, Elite and Suite guests?  Usually up in Skywalkers... or one of the lunges where  there was a drink of the evening and complimentary hors d'oeuvres that go with the drink of the evening.  we always enjoyed it  and if it's gone I'll have to break it gently to my husband.  Thanks! 

No more BOGO.  The PES cocktail hour usually in Skywalkers (has been in Club Fusion at times) has a drink special of a few (5 as I remember) cocktails available for a reduced price that does not include my favorite Chairman of the Board.   The complimentary hors d'oeuvres are still there with the same menu as in the past.  Sorry for the bad news.  We have pretty much stopped going to the PES evening lounge. 

The good news is that there's now a limited menu of cocktails to choose from at the reduced price every night instead of just one special. They include the boulevardier (rye, Campari, vermouth), cherry blossom (citrus vodka, pineapple juice, sweet and sour mix, strawberry), lemon mojito (lemon rum, mint leaves, simple syrup?, soda water?), mint lemondrop (Tito's vodka, Cointreau, mint), deep sea martini (vodka, blue Curacao, sweet and sour, pineapple juice), floradora (gin, Chambord, ginger ale, lime), and Mayan mule (tequila, ginger beer).

The bad news is the price has increased to $6.50 plus 18% gratuity.

1 hour ago, paul929207 said:

We usually manage to get the beverage package thru  Sip & Sail. So we get a glass of wine of our choice in the PES lounge. None of the "special" drinks offered appeal to either of us.

Yep. When we have had the PBP we order whatever we like in the PES lounge. As for the current offerings there, if we don't have the PBP  I only order the Mayan Mule if we drop in for a drink and a nosh.

Edited by Thrak

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

IMO foofoo drinks mostly for women.  I prefer simple cocktails without some sugary mixture.  Princess has mostly lost me in the PES lounge. 

We skip it for the same reason,  rather have scotch or a dry martini.... not some sugary drinks... have not gone for a few cruises.

I was disappointed when they changed the drinks, however this hour gives my wife and I a time to unwind. We really enjoy it every night and have met some great people there. I once met a man who who worked on the lunar rover, a man who was in Nixon’s White House and a man who worked with with Mr Hewlett and Mr Packard. You never know.

Edited by mel8kri
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gabrielle R. said:

It's been a while since we have sailed on Princess.  We are platinum, slowly working towards Elite.  I know that there have been changes on Princess..... 2 for 1 happy hour is gone- correct?  (My husband always liked that one)  One question do they still have the 'special' cocktail hour(s) for the Platinum, Elite and Suite guests?  Usually up in Skywalkers... or one of the lunges where  there was a drink of the evening and complimentary hors d'oeuvres that go with the drink of the evening.  we always enjoyed it  and if it's gone I'll have to break it gently to my husband.  Thanks! 

Some info here....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678725-happy-hour-back-2019/

10 hours ago, Gabrielle R. said:

No deals, but!  There are yummies & interesting peoples to chat with  - isn't that the point?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paul929207 said:

We usually manage to get the beverage package thru  Sip & Sail. So we get a glass of wine of our choice in the PES lounge. None of the "special" drinks offered appeal to either of us.

I agree with the special drinks offered almost never appeal to us either.

Thanks for the replies!  I unfortunately can't drink many of the drinks because they contain pineapple... allergic to it....  This was really helpful.  We always liked the margarita that they always had..... I will have to break the news to my husband.

Thanks again for the information- It helped me out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

If you have a card (medallion) they will provide. You can even walk in with your soda or water in hand. 

Thanks, I don't mind buying my soda.  Sounds good to me.  I will have to stop by on my next cruise.

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

I have never been to the cocktail hour, because I don't drink.   Do they make virgin drink specials and will they serve me a diet soda?  I think it sounds like a nice way to meet and chat with people.

Of course - you can actually get anything off the menu you want - soda, virgin drink, water, whatever, the specials/discount is only in the few Specialty drinks 

The snacks are available whether you drink anything at all or not 

• Like 1

At one time we made it a point to attend the Elite/Platinum Lounge events. DH loved his "chairman" and I of course, order my signature cosmo. It was a nice way to meet other passengers, share a few bites, chat and then either take in an early show or head to dinner. However, when the bar menu changed, so did our desire to attend - last cruise we attended once, with a drink ordered at another lounge, looked at the sparse attendance and left. Now we pre-order vodka, make a drink in our cabin, either DH or I pick up a few nibbles from the late afternoon offering at the buffet, and watch the ocean from our balcony.  

The repeaters event is another non-event for us - awful drinks and after being told to go to the bar and buy something else when I asked for a real cosmo and DH wanted a plain martini, we send back the invite and note the reason why we won't attend.....as if that makes any difference.  Lots of other lounges to meet fellow passengers. 

Neither of us drink enough to bother with the inclusive beverage package.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...