Post Cruise Amsterdam hotel

redpear1

My d/w and I will be finishing a transatlantic and Norway fiord cruise aboard the Niew Statendam in Early May 2020 and am having a hard time with post cruise hotel in Amsterdam. Will probably stay in the city 3 days or so. Can anyone recommend a hotel central location that doesn’t break the bank?

1 minute ago, redpear1 said:

My d/w and I will be finishing a transatlantic and Norway fiord cruise aboard the Niew Statendam in Early May 2020 and am having a hard time with post cruise hotel in Amsterdam. Will probably stay in the city 3 days or so. Can anyone recommend a hotel central location that doesn’t break the bank?

I’m not sure what your definition of “not breaking the bank” is but the Banks Mansion is in a great location IMO.  

Lovely hotel and even more important, literally all inclusive - water in the rooms, liquor in the rooms, breakfast, cheese tray and munchies in the evenings with wine.  The self help bar has everything from water to sodas to beer & Liquor (and, of course a specialty coffee machine) and is open 24 hours.

The staff were phenomenal and very helpful.  We really liked it as did several of our friends.

Other friends stayed at JL No76 (museum district) and enjoyed it.  It’s in the museum district so it’s a longer walk (or a cab ride) to Anne Franks, Red Light District, etc.

I recommend the Nova Hotel at Nieuwezids Voorburgwal 276.  Very reasonably priced and centrally located.  It's on a major transit line, and is within walking distance of Centraal Station.  Just 2 blocks away from Old Town.  

I just did a quick check, and they have NO AVAILABILITY in May.  Spring is peak season in the Netherlands.  Good luck finding something reasonable.  Yikes!

Roz

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d230114-Reviews-Mercure_Hotel_Amsterdam_City-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html?m=19905

We stayed here pre cruise a couple years ago. They have a shuttle to and from the airport. They are a short walk from the bus line that takes you to city center. You can buy a bus pass at the airport before you catch the hotel shuttle. Breakfast is included. Rooms are roomy and clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again. Very reasonable

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure what your definition of “not breaking the bank” is but the Banks Mansion is in a great location IMO.  

Lovely hotel and even more important, literally all inclusive - water in the rooms, liquor in the rooms, breakfast, cheese tray and munchies in the evenings with wine.  The self help bar has everything from water to sodas to beer & Liquor (and, of course a specialty coffee machine) and is open 24 hours.

The staff were phenomenal and very helpful.  We really liked it as did several of our friends.

Other friends stayed at JL No76 (museum district) and enjoyed it.  It’s in the museum district so it’s a longer walk (or a cab ride) to Anne Franks, Red Light District, etc.

We loved this hotel too. Ask for a canal room and you will enjoy watching all the street activities. 

On 8/18/2019 at 3:45 PM, redpear1 said:

We are having a hard time as well. We will be in Amsterdam May 10 and the hotels have doubled  and even tripled there hotel rates for the week(and maybe longer?) but $500 and up per night for a hotel that is normally in the $200-300 range is crazy.  Just wondering if something is going on that week besides the tulips. Very hard to find a hotel “that doesn’t break the bank” lol.  And if I do find a fairly reasonable rate ($200-300/ night) they want you to pay up front and non refundable.  Will keep looking but getting time consuming for something that should be a fairly simple thing. 

Actually you are probably on our cruise. Statendam rt Amsterdam to Amsterdam May 3-10.

Edited by Holly g
Additional message

Oh actually so are we. We just decided to add the A to A trip.  It seems there is some big finance/business international meeting going on in Amsterdam starting that week so that’s probably the reason for the inflated hotel prices and many of these hotels are already sold out. The hotel Holland America uses, the Mövenpick was quoted by HA at at $1574 for 3 nights plus $72 in tax! Don’t think so!

Last year we were in Amsterdam during the HUGE Gay Pride Week....hotels were very high and hard to come by. We ended up at a quirky hotel just a short bus ride from central station. It’s called Pension Homeland. Clean, safe and staff very nice. On grounds brewery and restaurant. Since you mention the month of May for your stay, it should be fine. We were there in August, during a heat wave and hotel does not have air conditioning. We would stay there again as long as it wasn’t the height of Summer. 

You have 2 bus lines right there or you can walk a short distance and take the tram to central station. We considered walking with our luggage to the port but one of the wheels took a bit of a blow during our flight over and we didn’t want to chance further damage by rolling it that far. 

Edited by WeRockChalkKU

This could be the reason for higher hotel rates. May 5th will be Liberation day.  I am booked on the NS TA arriving on May 3rd and used points for two nights at the Renaissance and a high rate for another night. Here is an article about the holiday. https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/plan-your-holiday/events/liberation-day.htm

We were just in Amsterdam in early August during Gay Pride celebrations. I tried to book a hotel about 8 months in advance and nothing reasonable was out there. You might find/book something with a refundable rate so you know you have a place to stay and then watch prices over the next few months and cancel when something better comes along--which is exactly what worked for us.

(We love the Banks Mansion but ended up at HAL's Movenpick which was very nice and convenient to the port. Wouldn't stay there post-cruise as you want a more central location.)

Edited by oceanmom

We are also on the TA leaving Ft Lauderdale on 4/19/20. We are staying on until 5/24/20. Have been trying to find a hotel in Amsterdam without success. Even HAL  would not waitlist us. Finally booked the Renaissance yesterday at a crazy but refundable rate.  At least we wont be sleeping on a bench! LOL.

I am also on the TransAtlantic and didn't realize that hotels would be a problem.

I looked at the Banks Mansion mentioned and the rate was a little over 400 euros a night. I found Best Western Plus Hotel Amstelveen at 301 euros for the two nights I am in Amsterdam. It is about 15k from the port and 20k from the Airport. I did not pay in advance and can cancel until two days before the stay

We are on the April 6 transatlantic and are spending 4 nights in Amsterdam.  After tearing my hair out trying to  find a hotel that "won't break the bank", we settled on a hotel near the airport, where the prices were a bit less, with easy access to transportation to the city and out.                                                                                                            

We are also doing the May 3rd Norway trip and so many hotels are sold out.  We were just in Amsterdam in the beginning of August (which also happened to be Pride) and the hotel situation was much better  than it is for May 2020.  I’m thinking it’s a carry over from the Kings Day celebrations.  We couldn’t get a hotel in the area we wanted and refused to pay the $600 HAL wanted for the Movinpick, so we decided to stay at the Renaissance by the airport (just for one night) and come into Amsterdam by train on the 2nd to enjoy the city and have dinner.  We will probably take an Uber to the port on the 3rd, as the cobblestones aren’t great for our luggage. We are excited to go back to Norway after our 2 day teaser on the Northern Isles Nieuw Statendam cruise.