Edge or Equinox?

ImpulsivePuppy

Hello, strongly considering a Celebrity cruise in January, Caribbean. The two ships down there are the Equinox and the new Edge. How different are these two ships? Is Edge worth the premium? I will certainly search the boards and look at reviews but what is the right-down-to-it take. I'd be paying almost twice as much for Edge, and am willing to if it's worth it. Traveling are me (47 and my gf, 45). I am also considering Aqua Class as a possibility. Itinerary isn't a priority, we just want to have some time away together on a comfy ship. 

Your best bet is to peruse the dozens of reviews and opinions of the Edge.  There is very little middle ground there....people either love it or hate it.  Would say the Equinox is more skewed to the like category, as are most of the S class ships, which are virtually all the same.

• Like 1

When looking at a March cruise I decided to go with the Equinox over the Edge and save about $300.  I’ve been on the Equinox and quite frankly didn’t see the need to spend more money for the Edge.  I’m sure the Edge would be interesting but IMHO not worth $300 extra for a week.  

If you have an interest in the thermal suite on Edge after doing research that could tip the hand towards Edge IMHO depending on what twice as much is. While I like the Persian Gardens and Equinox, Edge beats this with the thermal suite.

Also, for what it is worth, if you are just going for the ship we prefer Edge. However, both are wonderful ships and have their pluses and minuses. I think it really comes down to what you are personally looking for in a cruise. Some features of the S class that are popular are not on Edge. It matters to some, but not others. We are going on Edge again in March and decided it was worth paying more. Although I still tried to save what I could by comparing several sailings.

We enjoyed the Edge but won’t pay the price penalty again.   

The Equinox has been Revolutionized but won’t totally be like the Edge

If you can go in Feb the Mardi Gras cruise on the Reflection may be something you might consider.   It is 10 nights sailing Feb 21 and spends 3 days and 2 nights in NOLA.  It it there for Fat Tues and leaves that night at 10 pm.   

The Infinity and Reflection are also in the Caribbean in Jan 2020.  Might want to check them out.   The iInfinity is the older class but still nice.  

Look at the prices and see what works best for you.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you all for the info. My suspicion was this would be the case and there would be an 'Edge-related premium.' Not that I'm eliminating that as an option but I wondered if it would be worth the premium. I'll look at the reviews and and do some pricing and probably have questions during that process. Would love advice at any time. Thanks! 

One other thing to consider if you are thinking of aqua class is that the Equinox has an actual balcony while the Edge Aqua class has an “infinite” one - more like an ocean view with a large window that opens, and the Balcony portion is smaller.  We were on the Edge in aqua class in January and overall enjoyed its features, especially the thermal suite, but have booked the Reflection for the next 2 years for January cruises to have the real balconies and current more comfortable balcony furniture. Also, while Blu was great on the Edge, you didn’t have the ocean views you have on The Equinox and other S class ships.  

• Like 1

If you like the tried and true program and layout of regular ships, then the Equinox.  If you're looking for something wild and very different, then perhaps the Edge.  For us seniors, we prefer the tried and true.  We've been on the new Millennium and Summit which we enjoyed, however 10 days on the Edge which was more than enough for us.

We loved the Edge. To us we feel the Solstice ships are a bit dated now, unless you like the touch of grass on your feet aboard a ship! The pool area is a lot more enclosed compared with the Edge. 

Edited by Esprit
typo

10 hours ago, ImpulsivePuppy said:

Thank you all for the info. My suspicion was this would be the case and there would be an 'Edge-related premium.' Not that I'm eliminating that as an option but I wondered if it would be worth the premium. I'll look at the reviews and and do some pricing and probably have questions during that process. Would love advice at any time. Thanks! 

Impulsive Puppy,

Some advice for getting the most out of these discussions. It is really hard to give you an informed opinion since you have not told us anything about your likes and dislikes when cruising or even the type of cabin you are considering.  Specific details or questions bring more informed responses.   If you are only concerned about the best price, then probably Equinox.  This type of general question will bring out answers from people giving an opinion based upon what they like or believe.  How is that relevant to you?  Only you can decide.

I recently selected Equinox over Edge due to price difference,the type of balcony and the location of Aqua Class.  We enjoy the Aqua class cabins being located closer to the gym and Persian gardens on the Equinox.  We also prefer an open balcony.

It really depends on what you enjoy doing on a cruise.  Best wishes with your choice.

• Like 1

Depending on itinerary I would definitely choose an S class ship but definitely not the Equinox since its deck space has been drastically reduced by its bias to suite class. I would choose either the Silhouette, Eclipse or Reflection before they destroy their deck space as well - you need to go before each has its next dry dock.

Scheduled dry - Silhouette (Jan 20), Eclipse (Nov20) and Reflection (Feb 23)

27 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Depending on itinerary I would definitely choose an S class ship but definitely not the Equinox since its deck space has been drastically reduced by its bias to suite class. I would choose either the Silhouette, Eclipse or Reflection before they destroy their deck space as well - you need to go before each has its next dry dock.

Scheduled dry - Silhouette (Jan 20), Eclipse (Nov20) and Reflection (Feb 23)

Hey Mickey, can you tell me what you mean? How has it's deckspace been reduced? Thanks!

Celebrity have already revolutionised the Equinox, as they call it, essentially they have made deck 16 a retreat for the exclusive use for Suite Only guests.  Deck space was always at a premium on seaday with plenty of sun bed hoggers, this makes the situation worse for the majority. Choose a different ship unless you can afford the suite prices.

If you can afford the suite prices I would highly recommend you look at MSC Yacht Club cruises, cheaper than Celebrity and a class apart even Edge cannot compare.

Edited by mickey89