New to Carnival, newbie questions

Yukonjake

My military unit is having a a reunion cruise next month on a Carnival ship, causing this Princess guy to move over to the sister line for one cruise. So, a couple of questions, if I may, please:

• Tea: I don't drink coffee, but do drink strong black (not herbal) tea. Does Carnival stock the MDR and buffet with good black tea (something a little vacation worthy than Lipton)?
  • Toiletries: Good quality or should I bring my own?
  • Breakfast: I'm a maple syrup purist. Does Carnival carry real maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima or some other corn-syrup based, artificially flavored stoff) or should I bring my own.
  • Wine: I presume Carnival will allow one bottle per adult to be brought on board?
  • Rum: We'll be in the Caribbean; if I buy some souvenir rum, can I bring it aboard for bringing home?

Thanks in advance for your forbearance and kind answers.

I always liked the Body Wash and Shampoo I got in the shower dispensers.

Souvenir Run to take home FINE, to drink on the cruise, NO.

Sorry, don't ever drink tea and I thought Aunt Jemima was the standard on which all others were graded. Silly me. 🙂

• Like 1

Just got off the Magic on Saturday and it was my families first cruise.  Don't know what brand the toiletries are, shampoo and body wash are in large dispensers in the shower.

Unsure about the quality of the Maple syrup but I highly doubt it is real maple syrup.

Wine, single bottle of 750 ml sealed wine allowed per adult.

Rum, yes you can buy a bottle of rum but it will be taken when you board at the port and returned to you at the end of the cruise.  

Tea, I think they only give you cheap tea free, but you can purchase more expensive bags.

Edited by Marauder40

I always bring tea with me.

I doubt that maple syrup is real but I'd never drag that from home-up to you.

Yes, one bottle of wine per adult and you can drink it anywhere on the ship.

Agree that rum bought on shore will be kept for you until debarkation.

They do have premium teas available (specialty blends from the Art of Tea) as Hot options in the MDR.  Just ask the waitstaff and they will bring you the selection box to choose from.

No Real Maple Syrup

1 Bottle of Wine (750ml) can be carried on during embarkation.

Any alcohol purchased at ports will be held for you until disembarkation.

• Like 1

I find the provided body wash and shampoo in the shower dispensers good enough for me, but I'm a guy with short hair. There's a lot of people who bring their own, especially women who prefer their own shampoo. The soap at the bathroom sink is just small bars (round), much like you'd find in hotels. As for their body wash, it takes a bit more of it than usual to build up a good lather, in my experience, but they'll refill it if necessary. For me, I can get by with their stuff for a week to save me from packing my own.

I bring a few tea bags and stevia.  The shampoo and soap is fine. Can bring a 12 pack of soda in cans and 1 bottle of wine per person over 21. They will hold alcohol bought in port until last night.  Not sure about maple syrup. 

4 hours ago, glrounds said:

I always liked the Body Wash and Shampoo I got in the shower dispensers.

My wife’s hair would beg to differ. She says that it’s like washing her hair with gas  station bathroom hand soap,  not that she’s ever tried that. 😂 I guess she’s just making a point of how awful it is and why it’s justified to bring her own. 

• Haha 1

For me, the shampoo and body wash are fine, but I have to bring my own conditioner or my hair would be a tangled mess.  Since you are asking about the quality, I think you should bring your own.  I think the quality provided is average and adequate, but definitely not high end.  If you have a spa cabin, they should provide individual bottles and you might find the quality is better.

I drink the tea from the beverage station every day and think it's fine.  Since you are asking about the quality, then you might not like it because you might be more particular with it.

I think you could easily pack a few small bottles or packets of real maple syrup so you won't be disappointed with the type provided.  I have french toast every morning and think the syrup is fine, but someone who really wants the real thing might be disappointed.

4 hours ago, Yukonjake said:

My military unit is having a a reunion cruise next month on a Carnival ship, causing this Princess guy to move over to the sister line for one cruise. So, a couple of questions, if I may, please:

• Tea: I don't drink coffee, but do drink strong black (not herbal) tea. Does Carnival stock the MDR and buffet with good black tea (something a little vacation worthy than Lipton)?
  • Breakfast: I'm a maple syrup purist. Does Carnival carry real maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima or some other corn-syrup based, artificially flavored stoff) or should I bring my own.
  • Wine: I presume Carnival will allow one bottle per adult to be brought on board?
  • Rum: We'll be in the Caribbean; if I buy some souvenir rum, can I bring it aboard for bringing home?

Tea: iced is unsweetened, likely concentrate, semi-strong.  Hot is Lipton bags (included) or specialty at $2 or $3 per bag (not sure if black as an option or all herbal).  I'm fine with Lipton, but would advise bringing your favorite if it matters.

Toiletries: if you are picky, bring your own.  I bring my own shampoo and conditioner, my husband keeps his hair so short he doesn't need either 😉 

Breakfast: never paid attention but doubtful they have pure maple.  I don't eat much that would use a syrup regardless, and when I do it is usually a fruit compote, powdered sugar & butter, or whipped cream.

Wine: 1 750 ml bottle per adult over 21.  Wine only, no Port.

Rum: will be held for you to be picked up morning of or night before debarkation.

I am a picky shampoo/conditioner kind of person, so I bring my own.  but hubby says it's just fine for him.  The soap is adequate IMO.   Just thought you could use another opinion.  Hope you enjoy Carnival, it isn't the party ship like most non Carnival people think it is.  Have a great time.

• Like 2

I'm a tea drinker and I bring my own bags on in my checked luggage, and no maple syrup is not the real deal. Rum will be confiscated on held for you until disembarkation day and yes you are allowed 1 750ml bottle of wine per person in your carry on luggage

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

My wife’s hair would beg to differ. She says that it’s like washing her hair with gas  station bathroom hand soap,  not that she’s ever tried that. 😂 I guess she’s just making a point of how awful it is and why it’s justified to bring her own. 

LOL, I guess it's a male thing. I've washed my hair with bar soap when necessary, but women are quite different it would seem. When I take my ex with me she goes through a conglomeration of  hair treatments when she washes her hair. Baffles me, but she has fantastic hair, so maybe you're on to something. 🙂

• Haha 1

I find the provided liquid just fine for my hair. But I never use conditioner and use the soap dispenser at the gym. I have straighter hair that doesn’t tangle and I don’t abuse it with perms, treatments, or hot irons anymore. I color it myself which actually makes it softer.

Everyone differs

• Tea:   Sorry, I am not a tea drinker, so can't address this.
  • Toiletries: Toiletries are minimal. Small bar soap at sink, shampoo  and body wash in shower. No conditioner,
  • Breakfast: Not a syrup user
  • Wine: One 75ml bottle per adult in carry on, at embarkation. You are not supposed to consume it in public area, but I just carried a glass to dinner each night.
  • Rum: Yes, you may buy in the Caribbean (Duty-free amounts vary by country - this will be well- publicized in pre-port talks (I think it's published in the Fun Times, too), They will collect it at the gangway when you re-embark and you will pick it up on the last day.

I have not read all the replies, but I know they do have tea bags.  I'm not for sure of the brand.  I know they have at least 4 flavors, or use to.  I don't drink coffee either, so I go to the buffet area, and get hot tea to take back to my room before going to bed. I know in the MDR, I sometimes as for hot tea, as it is chilly in there for me.  It may not be my favorite flavor, but it is HOT!

On 8/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, Yukonjake said:

Try tea time everyday in the main dining room they have a pretty good variety of tea and other tasty tea time dishes that are not found anywhere else bringing a few of your favorite tea is not a bad idea just Incase 

shampoo for me is a must of my own if you have long hair conditioning is a must for us ladies and I can’t  do theirs but my husband and son always are fine. 

The rum /wine order it from the fun shop and have a bottle send to your room the same day you cruise and enjoy it. 1 (800) 522-7648 easiest way to run it up!!