Do you have a problem trying to find people to cruise as much as you do?

Joebucks

I absolutely love cruising. I can never get enough of it, even if it's the same ports. It's just a relaxing and convenient experience away from stressful life that is super affordable. I work full-time, but I get 5 weeks of PTO a year. I could realistically do a lot of cruising, especially short ones. The problem is, all of my friends and my girlfriend can't take off as much time as me. I could only get 15 cruising days with others this year. I'm not the biggest fan of solo cruising because of the double fare, and have had the most fun when there is 2 or more people. Does anyone else experience this? What do you do?

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

I would just go solo, didn't bother me any or diminish my enjoyment. 

But now that we are both retired, we now have plans to cruise Celebrity Equinox and the RCCL Symphony of the Seas with other couples that we recently reconnected with at a 50th High School reunion

We are big fans of the roll call threads  on here. Often my wife and I join a thread only to find out we will be joined by others that we have cruised with in the past. 

Edited by c-boy

I live alone and all, so I don't even try. I did take my family on a trip last month, sort of, but otherwise, I'm not looking for company (I suppose I'm potentially open to my parents joining me--they joined me to Alaska basically because my mother didn't want me to see Alaska before she had :-p). But then I do everything alone, anyway, so I don't feel a need for company--in fact, it would sometimes be a pain to have. I'm sure as heck not sharing my cabin, at least.

But different strokes, different folks. Some people really don't like the supplement, and some people can't stand the idea of not traveling with someone else.

Alas, you only have so many options--either find someone you know or go alone and meet people. Although I guess occasionally, there are roommate possibilities on ships? And if the price is a factor, book solo cabins.

57 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Does anyone else experience this? What do you do?

I don't experience that because my wife wants to cruise too and I don't need, or want, anyone else to cruise with.

If the dies before me and I'm still able to cruise I might try to cruise alone. 

DH and I travel together and don't feel the need for more people travelling with us. In fact, aside from immediate family, there are few that I would want to travel with. We've never found a shortage of companionable people once on board.

• Like 1

I'm currently single. My friends are mostly married with kids as is my sister. I work full time and get decent vacation also. I cruised alone in January and will be doing so in September. I also have January 2020 and 2021 booked as solo. The only way I'd share a cabin with someone is a SO, close friend or certain family. I loved my cruise in January. I did everything and anything I wanted, when I wanted. When I wanted to be social I made friends in Nachi Cocum, by the pool and at the lounges. The fact we pay double is kind of a bummer (unless you like the studio cabins - I would need one with a balcony (yep balcony snob here)). However, the freedom it affords me seems to be worth every penny.

• Like 1

I cruise with different people depending on the trip. I take a lot of cruises with DH, but he doesn't get as much time off work as I do, so sometimes I do a "girls trip" cruise and share a room with my Mom instead (sometimes just the two of us, sometimes other female family members join).

Joebucks,

Don’t think of it as double fare. Think of it as price per day. What would you consider a good deal if you got a hotel room for 7 nights, paid for 3 meals a day, and added some entertainment in there too? 

I have been a solo traveler since 2010, and I usually get an interior cabin. My base cost is usually about $150-200 a night. With everything included, I think that’s a pretty good deal, and this is for cruises 10+ days. I have gone slightly over, but that is for unique cruises like the Baltics. I bet you could get some sweet deals if you just want 7 day cruises around the Caribbean.

Try it, you might really enjoy it, especially since you’ve been bitten by the cruise bug.

• Like 1

I took my first solo cruises this summer because DH had to work. I had a great time. I met a lot of nice people on the ship. I got lucky to get a great last-minute deal where I didn't have to pay double the going rate for my cabin. I booked an inside and was lucky to get an upgrade to an ocean view. I'll go again solo next summer if he takes another contract and I can get another good deal.

Joebucks, it looks like you have an extra couple of weeks of vacation to fill. As others have said, you can cruise solo but I'm sure your DW would like that broken shutter finally fixed. Or you can finally paint that room that needs painting. Or you could volunteer to help build a house for someone. My point is there are lots of things to do with your extra vacation time, don't limit yourself to cruising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have that problem with travel in general😟. There isn't many people I know who either have the time, money or will to travel, so I have to make do on my own. It is either that or don't travel at all which I think would make my life poorer. I was lucky🤗 though with my Aranui cruise that I knew someone who was also interested and we could both get the same time off as the solo price was very expensive😱 and the dormitory option was already booked out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Joebucks, it looks like you have an extra couple of weeks of vacation to fill. As others have said, you can cruise solo but I'm sure your DW would like that broken shutter finally fixed. Or you can finally paint that room that needs painting. Or you could volunteer to help build a house for someone. My point is there are lots of things to do with your extra vacation time, don't limit yourself to cruising. 

He mentioned in his post “girlfriend”, so I hope there’s not a wife too, but you never know 😉

Edited by crzndeb

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

He mentioned in his post “girlfriend”, so I hope there’s not a wife too, but you never know 😉

Problem solved. 15 days with the girlfriend and the other two weeks with the wife! 😃

Then straight to the funny farm. 🤭🤐

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3