Gin & tonic

SeaSharp

i'd bring my own if you can get to a store on the way to the ship.  i'm spoiled, i live near port, so i just bring a case of sparkling water with me.

also i had no idea tonic water had a diet version, so i learned something, thanks.  i don't particularly like tonic water, so it never occurred to me it had sugar.  i thought it was just carbonated water with quinine added.  i'm still somewhat confused by the different between seltzer and sparkling water, but now i know why tonic is different!

Edited by vampiress

24 minutes ago, vampiress said:

i'm still somewhat confused by the different between seltzer and sparkling water, but now i know why tonic is different!

Seltzer and sparkling water are the same thing, just carbonated water (with or without flavoring). Club soda is carbonated water with sodium added.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RBAlbany said:

You can order a bottle of gin (or other liquor) through room service?  

You can order through the Fun Shop. It is rather expensive, but for light drinkers cheaper than the drink pachage. We can make one bottle last one seven day cruise per person.

We love our G&T's and change all our sodas to tonic in our cabins mini bar set up. .  I have never seen any diets.   We usually buy four large bottles of tonic and bring it on.   Same with pepsi - bring our own caffeine free.

• Like 1

As a fellow drinker (lover) of Gin and Diet Tonic bring your own because on 29 cruises with Princess on every class of ship they have not once have I been able to get diet tonic for my gin.

Edited by BabySarge
  • Like 1

I am also a G&T affeciendo and while I could not fathom using diet tonic water with my gin I do know that there are those that do that.  Princess only has tonic water and not diet tonic water.  I trade all the elite bar setup for gin (10 mini-bottles) and tonic (6 cans) and have pre-ordered a 375ml bottle of Sapphire Gin for a cruise.  Our first request to the steward is to keep the ice bucket full.  You can go to a bar and ask for cutup limes which are a requirement for a good G&T.  If you have to have diet tonic, bring your own.  Bottoms up and cruise on

My husband also likes his gin and diet tonic and brings the diet tonic with him.  In the past we have pre-ordered bottles of liquor for our room.  Is it possible to order from room service once on board?  Our next cruise we have quite a bit of OBC that I would like to use.

6 minutes ago, Jewel22 said:

My husband also likes his gin and diet tonic and brings the diet tonic with him.  In the past we have pre-ordered bottles of liquor for our room.  Is it possible to order from room service once on board?  Our next cruise we have quite a bit of OBC that I would like to use.

Yes, you can order the gin through room service, and ask them to bring along some lime wedges with the order.

Jim

• Like 2

HA!!  That's why I love CruiseCritic so much.  Ask a question, and the answer appears in no time.  Thanks everyone!!  So from what I learned, I will bring my own little bottles of diet tonic, but switch my "one time suite" mini bar miniatures to all gin; and if that doesn't hold me, get a bottle of gin from room service, or whatever.  Got a great grocery store in my area, Publix, that has a really good house brand diet tonic is small individual glass bottles.  Now to see if I can fit them in my carry on.  This is my first Princess cruise, so have a lot of learning on my plate.  

8 hours ago, SeaSharp said:

OK, you gin & tonic drinkers.  If I order a bottle of gin through room service, how hard is it to get diet tonic to go with it??  Should I bring my own??

You can order cabin delivery of a tonic water 6-pak for about $12 I recall. Not sure what kind, diet or regular, etc. It will come in cans, not bottles.

7 hours ago, RBAlbany said:

You can order a bottle of gin (or other liquor) through room service?  

Yes, at least before sailing. Not sure about once under way. Decent prices also compared to RCI at least. Not sure about once under way.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

10 hours ago, SeaSharp said:

OK, you gin & tonic drinkers.  If I order a bottle of gin through room service, how hard is it to get diet tonic to go with it??  Should I bring my own??

Bring on board. Bulky though. To save space, you might consider packing a grocery store plastic bottle of lemon or lime juice and use the ship's provided no-calorie sweetener packets to make a Gimlet or London Lemonade. Very refreshing without the bulk of bottles. 

Edited by mtnesterz

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yes, at least before sailing. Not sure about once under way. Decent prices also compared to RCI at least. Not sure about once under way.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Yes, you can order “pints” of gin for around $18 while underway. They are good for any where from 2 to 12 G&Ts. 

• Like 1

On our November cruise I have ordered 6 cans of tonic water (no diet offered) for $11.50 and a 375 ml bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin for $23.00.  When we first get to the stateroom the tonic should be there and a voucher for the Gin.  I will have to call room service to deliver it and have to be in the cabin when it is delivered (any adult in the cabin can sign for it).  It will be a 15 day cruise and I will have the complimentary bar set up all changed to gin and tonic of course. 

In the mini bar setup..... on the last cruise... the tonic water in cans was a shocker....

and very different to the tonic serve at the bar, which was good.....

on earlier cruises was tonic was good, a different brand....

Nothing like a nice G&T   or a dry martini with a twist of lemon

Cheers Don

12 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Yes, you can order “pints” of gin for around $18 while underway. They are good for any where from 2 to 12 G&Ts. 

I am glad you added that. I was not sure, and it makes pre-cruise decision making easier. On some other cruise lines ordering and receiving a bottle of liquor cannot be done once the ship has departed.