The Points Guy: The 6 Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers

HCTiger9704

He also missed MSC, which has solo cabins on Bellissima. 

I've sailed in a Studio on NCL's Bliss, I will agree with his assessment.  The coolest thing - there are 2 sections of that ship that allow entry only to those staying in them, The Haven (most expensive cabins on the ship) and the Studio area.  It's like an exclusive club.

Am I the only person who thinks solo cabins are a rude slam that are not indicative of a "solo friendly" atmosphere?  They charge solos more per sq ft for some of the worst real estate on the ship......and somehow they've managed to convince some people that they're offering the best thing going for solos.  I don't understand it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Am I the only person who thinks solo cabins are a rude slam that are not indicative of a "solo friendly" atmosphere? 

No, you are not the only person who thinks that!! ;-)

I also disagree with the premise of the referenced article which, for the most part, equates "best" with "lowest single supplement." 

Absolutely!

No way would I put up with a cramped cabin in the worst area of the ship.

I always cruise solo and have found that sticking with one 'solo friendly' cruise line (i.e. Silversea) that also has good past passenger loyalty programme discounts eventually gets me the best value for my dollar.

Alternatively, I would suggest solos look at mainstreams and just look at the bottom line, don't think about the solo supplement, it'll just upset you. After all, I book hotel rooms without thinking that I'm paying twice per head  compared to a couple booking the same room. Only way to stay sane.

• Like 5

For once, I agree with calliope. I wouldn't call any of his choices solo-friendly. Silversea was one of the worst cruises I have ever been on, if I recall correctly that's the line I decided "No wonder they include alcohol, they have to keep the passengers drunk so they don't realise how bad the food is".

Edited by Dancer Bob

12 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

For once, I agree with calliope. I wouldn't call any of his choices solo-friendly.

Actually, that's not what I said......I think Crystal is very solo friendly because they have reasonable single supplements and treat their solo passengers the same way that they treat everyone else:  very well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Actually, that's not what I said......I think Crystal is very solo friendly because they have reasonable single supplements and treat their solo passengers the same way that they treat everyone else:  very well.

And this is exactly what I feel about Silversea.

Since I have nearly 350 days sailing with them, you can guess that I completely disagree with DancerBob!

Many major cruise lines are jumping on the solo traveller bandwagon and claiming how wonderful they are for providing single cabins (at inflated prices) but the number available are (pardon the pun) a drop in the ocean.

Whilst there are very few good deals for solo pax on UK-based cruise lines, at least most of them provide some sort of organised gatherings for solo pax and often group tables in the restaurants.

What each of us think of as being best for us as a solo will also differ.  I am not a lover of large ships so would not even think of using NCL, RCI or MSC as mentioned in the article.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

What each of us think of as being best for us as a solo will also differ.  I am not a lover of large ships so would not even think of using NCL, RCI or MSC as mentioned in the article.

And nobody emphasizes that the NCL solo cabins are inside cabins and only 100 sq ft  - that'd feel like living in a coffin to me - much too small and claustrophobic. And they're expensive for what they are, particularly if you know about NCL's nickel and diming  (I have sailed on the big ships in the past before I gratefully moved up {down?} to smaller ones).

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

And nobody emphasizes that the NCL solo cabins are inside cabins and only 100 sq ft  - that'd feel like living in a coffin to me - much too small and claustrophobic. And they're expensive for what they are, particularly if you know about NCL's nickel and diming  (I have sailed on the big ships in the past before I gratefully moved up {down?} to smaller ones).

NCL lost me immediately at the 100 sq. ft.  I want to stay in a cruise cabin, not a prison cell.

Roz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

NCL lost me immediately at the 100 sq. ft.  I want to stay in a cruise cabin, not a prison cell.

Roz

Other than sleeping - how much time do you actually spend in your cabin?  I found enough to do on the Bliss that I was only in my room to sleep, shower and change clothes, the rest of my time was spent participating in an activity or sitting in the lounge reading or conversing with other solo travelers (it wasn't warm enough outside to make being out on deck entirely comfortable).

I'm sailing on the Bliss again, in a balcony this time since it didn't cost much more than a Studio when all costs were considered, and I'll probably spend very little time in the room again since I anticipate it'll be a warmer trip.  I will always seriously consider the solo/studio cabins though, and NCL's feel more roomy than RCI's...

When I was a lot younger I worked on my hands and knees all day in a 22 inch high coal mine.  It would take a lot less room than 100 sq. ft. to make me queasy.  I did a studio once on the Epic and enjoyed the solo community feel.  But if the inside cabin is cheaper than the solo rate, that is what I'll pick.

I must have missed this thread and I totally 100% disagree "the points guy"...  I have no desire to sail inside and that cabin on NCL looks like something out of a dorm and/or hospital room:classic_blink:... as for how much time I spend in my cabin...plenty. I love my balcony.To sit outside and read, watch the wake, have breakfast,

etc  and I definitely want something more than 100 sq feet.

We all have our own choices to make....I choose to book a  cabin with a balcony.   The solo part? Oh well.....I am solo and look at the total cruise price. The Single supplement is what it is.....I have not

looked at it for years.

As for the ships? Sailing with 5,000 others pax does not appeal to me either.   My next cruise is a river cruise out of Venice, Italy (next month:classic_biggrin:)…..about 140 guests!  And a river cruise is the only type where

I don't book a balcony.  You are off the boat every day (for almost the entire day) and the cabins,

(except for the suites) are almost the same size and they have 2 large windows.   I know they are still

larger than that solo cabin on NCL.

So I have to reply to Mr Points...…..

Dear Mr Points Person,   There is a saying "different strokes for different folks". I believe your

choices do not work for many of us.  Glad we all have choices that work best for us.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, jollyjones said:

And this is exactly what I feel about Silversea.

Since I have nearly 350 days sailing with them, you can guess that I completely disagree with DancerBob!

Hi Jolly:classic_biggrin:  I have 2 with SS and loved them both!  I am trying Seabourn in April....if SS had the timing and itinerary I wanted, I would have booked with them again but from what I have read on Seabourn forum, I am looking forward to it very much:classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, hallux said:

Other than sleeping - how much time do you actually spend in your cabin? 

Enough that I don't want to feel like I'm rushing to leave to get out of a close space!  And heaven forbid you feel like you'd like or need some privacy when you're not sleeping. 

Actually, what puts me off more than the small square footage is the inside location without any natural light. 

• Like 1

I won't trade square footage for a social hub. I actually use my room and am the introvert that likes peace and quiet when reading, so a cheaper fullsize inside cabin works better for me. A mainstream affordable cruise is what I look for. I don't expect others to keep me entertained and I have few demands.  i will say, I prefer 'any time dining' over the risk of awkward table dynamics, but several lines look to seat solos together which so far has worked. I thought Cunard quite thoughtful of their solo passengers.

• Like 2